Print Page | Close Window

610 in Stafford

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: Morning Slug Lines
Forum Description: Enter comments for all slug lines going into the city.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=780
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 4:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 610 in Stafford
Posted By: sharonji27
Subject: 610 in Stafford
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2004 at 2:59pm
I am new to the Stafford area, but have been in the DC metro area for a while. I am planning on becoming a new driver on the slug line as my job requires me to have my car with me. Could someone tell me approximately how long it takes to get to DC from 610? I work in DC on 14th St and begin working around 8 or 8:30. Thanks so much!

Replies:
Posted By: tulipgirl67
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 11:21am
The drive from 610 to the Pentagon (which of course is not DC, but it is the route with which I am familiar) takes about 35 minutes. But, be aware that you can never be sure how long it will take to get slugs. Some mornings you can pull right up and get riders. Other mornings you may have to wait 15-20 minutes (rarely, though). So just be sure to pad in enough time in case you have to wait a few minutes for riders.

After 7:00 am, you will want to pick up slugs at the Mine Road lot. The other lot is full by then.

Posted By: sharonji27
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2004 at 11:34am
Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it a lot! [:)]

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 4:04pm
At what time in the AM do they start picking up Pentagon slugs at the 610 Mine Road Lot?

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 4:11pm
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]At what time in the AM do they start picking up Pentagon slugs at the 610 Mine Road Lot?

Usually about 7 AM. That is when the lot becomes full or passengers come at a trickled pace.

It's been working pretty well. It seems that more and more people are showing up at the Mine Road lot. Probably because they are finding that it's easier to get out of there in the evenings. It works especially well for those that are continuing south since you can just make the right hand turn onto Garrisonville from Salisbury, instead of waiting 3 traffic light evolutions before you can make a left.

Posted By: jv
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2004 at 12:45pm
I've been able to get a ride at the Mine Road lot usually by 0630. Any earlier and you'll have to wait a bit. However, it does appear more and more people are starting to use it earlier given the previously mentioned ease of use for southbound drivers.

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2004 at 3:50pm
jv - where do you slug to?

Posted By: bfhall
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2004 at 12:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]At what time in the AM do they start picking up Pentagon slugs at the 610 Mine Road Lot?

I just started slugging out of the Mine Rd lot after using the old lot for a couple of months. I get there around 6 AM. The first time I waited about five minutes. The second time I waited less than a minute to catch a ride to the Pentagon. For people living east of I-95 along Hwy 1 near Aquia, this lot is very convenient. It is much easier to get out of there in the afternoon and it is closer to home than the old lot. I caught a ride from the Pentagon the first time in less than a minute of waiting! I recommend riders and passengers living east or closer to the Mine Road lot go there rather than the old lot. I am sold! [:)]

Posted By: spitla
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2004 at 3:01pm
Hi,
I am moving to stafford near Mine rd lot. I work in Crystal city. Can you guys suggest me what would be the best time to get a ride to Crystal city/Pentagon and get a ride back to Mine rd lot. I am bit nervous about how the commute is going to be. I am living close to crystal city rt now. Thanks in advance.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2004 at 3:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by spitla
[br]Hi,
I am moving to stafford near Mine rd lot. I work in Crystal city. Can you guys suggest me what would be the best time to get a ride to Crystal city/Pentagon and get a ride back to Mine rd lot. I am bit nervous about how the commute is going to be. I am living close to crystal city rt now. Thanks in advance.

People start filtering to the Mine Rd. lot around 0645-0700, when the Staffordshire lot fills up. You'll need to find out the availability of rides home from the Crystal City line, though. As far back as about three weeks ago, there still wasn't much of a market for Mine Road slugs or drivers. I started picking up at the Pentagon because I like the Mine Road destination in the evenings. Since last check, you're best two options are these: 1)Slug from Staffordshire before 0645 so you can use the CC line in the evenings, or 2)Slug from Mine Rd. and hop a shuttle to the Pentagon in the evenings.

But before you take my word for it, does anybody know how things are lately for Mine Rd passengers at the CC line in the evenings?

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2004 at 10:48am
Thanks for the reply. Your input will help.
Thank you once again.

Posted By: mcsilva
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2004 at 12:46pm
Tried the 610 Mine Road lot to C.C. this morning at @6:45 and waited about 10 mins. for a ride. Is this normal for Mine Road or is the C.C. traffic starting to increase from this lot ?

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2004 at 4:15pm
The Mine Road lot was built to accomodate the OVERFLOW of cars from the old 610 commuter lot. Therefore, it is intended for the later crowd of commuters who wouldn't have a place to park at the old Staffordborough lot. The drivers start arriving around 7:00 a.m and and continue to pick up until around 8:15 a.m. Coming home from the Pentagon, there are two lines for Route 610. One for Mine Road and one for the old lot, but be warned that the line for Mine Road has been really long and has been moving very slow lately. I have waited over an hour on several occassions over the past two weeks and last night was cold and miserable. I believe that part of the problem is that more and more people are slugging from Mine Road but alot of the drivers are not aware that there are two lines for 610 since our sign is not very noticeable. I encourage people to hold up a sign stating "Route 610--Mine Road". Otherwise you will notice that more drivers will go to the old lot as opposed to the new lot. It's kind of like teaching an old dog new tricks, LOL. I hope this gives you a good explanation of the commuting situation from Route 610.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2004 at 4:56pm
Thanks guys. Your input is very helpful. I will have to try my luck.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 3:10pm
can any one tell me what's the best time to slug from CC to 610 Mine Rd lot. I have been slugging from Mine rd to Crystal city at around 6:45AM, it's been going good. I am able to get a ride with in 10 mnts. But going back to Mine rd from crystal city is getting difficult. People are ready to drop me off at 610 old lot but not at the mine rd. Can any one give me any suggestions to get back to Mine rd from Crystal city.

Thanks

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2004 at 12:51pm
I would say that you need a sign that says 610 in really bold letters and then underneath have Mine Road Lot. You can always have a cute little saying on it too like, "AVOID THE POTHOLES AT THE OLD 610 LOT" or "MINE ROAD--EASY IN AND OUT". If you have several people that go to Mine Road too, you may want to consider separating the line. Having a personal sign is always a good way to go though.

Posted By: L1FRDOG
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 9:46am
I will be moving to Stafford in the next 2-3 months. I am seriously looking into slugging. I will be living just off of Mine road and will be working at the Navy Annex, also my times to get into work are flexible. I was wondering which lot 610/630 would be best to get me nearest to the Annex (and where the drop off might be) and where/when would be the best place to get a ride home in the afternoon. Thanks for the info.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2004 at 11:32am
quote:
Originally posted by L1FRDOG
[br]I will be moving to Stafford in the next 2-3 months. I am seriously looking into slugging. I will be living just off of Mine road and will be working at the Navy Annex, also my times to get into work are flexible. I was wondering which lot 610/630 would be best to get me nearest to the Annex (and where the drop off might be) and where/when would be the best place to get a ride home in the afternoon. Thanks for the info.

610 is the best - hands down. Efforts were made to get the Rt. 630 line going, but it was poor at best. 610's slug lines are thriving and booming compared to 630.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net