Print Page | Close Window

Vanity Plates/Tags

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=845
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 8:17pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Vanity Plates/Tags
Posted By: jpkub
Subject: Vanity Plates/Tags
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2004 at 10:36am
I am making a film about slugging (see "student film" posting for more details). Looking to add some shots of slug and/or commuter specifc tags/plates. Anyone out there have any that I could get a shot of for the film.

By the way, the film is coming along in a good way. Have the cooperation of the VA State Police, Arlington County Police, PRTC, NVTC, and others.

Thanks for any thoughts and help on this.

you can write me directly at jpkub22302@yahoo.com

Replies:
Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2004 at 11:21am
Sure -- I've seen two of particular "noteworthiness" [8] One on a Honda Insight that reads "HOV-1" and another on a Prius that says "HOV4ME" [}:)]

- Will

Posted By: JustWannaGetHome
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2004 at 2:26pm
I know someone that has "IM4HOV"

Let me know if you want his contact info...

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2004 at 12:51pm
I know someone who has a car that runs on natural gas and so has "CNGHOV."

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2004 at 1:16pm
We regularly see a gas-electric hybrid car (a silver Honda, I think) with a Va CF plate "HOV OK".

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2004 at 7:39pm
Something is strange here. The person is doing a story on slugging and we are talking about vanity plates for hybrids. Hybrids are going to kill slugging. Weird.

Bob

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2004 at 11:14pm
Well Bob, it seems that just about the only HOV related vanity plates I've seen are on "hybrids" proclaiming their "HOVness"

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2004 at 8:28am
I fantasize about the day when hybrids won't be allowed in the HOV and the hybrids will be stuck in traffic in the regular lanes with these cutesy plates like "ME 4 HOV!"

Bob

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2004 at 9:07am
Actually he said "slug and/or commuter specifc [sic] tags/plates." Thus, hybrids and other clean-fuel vehicles seem tailor-made, since all the plates noted here relate specifically to commuting.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]Something is strange here. The person is doing a story on slugging and we are talking about vanity plates for hybrids. Hybrids are going to kill slugging. Weird.

Bob

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2004 at 10:20am
I remember seeing one that was something like: IH8TI95

Posted By: dkerley
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2004 at 1:19pm
I have seen one that reads:

"610 Slug" and he seems to be the driver most times.

Dina

Posted By: LittleJohnG
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2004 at 1:29pm
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
[br]I remember seeing one that was something like: IH8TI95

I've seen that one. Totally cracked us up! I'll start keeping my eyes open for creative plates.

Posted By: dkerley
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2004 at 1:32pm
I think many of us share that same sentiment! LOL! Very original....[;)]

Dina

Posted By: mfassler
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 12:47am
Well....I _AM_ the "610-SLUG." It is a 2000 Ford Taurus and I'm damned proud of it! I drive slugs just about everyday, picking up for 14th Street (or wherever the majority is headed) around 8:10am at the Mine Road lot and then picking up again around 5:40pm at 14th & G St. downtown. I take as many people as are willing to cram into my car, and only wish that I could take more people when there are so many waiting, especially since I pick up/drop off near the end of the HOV restrictions.

Meanwhile, I have never, and will never VIOLATE HOV! Anyone who knows me will vouch for this. There is almost nothing that makes me as upset as those people that DO violate, and I am NOT a hypocrite!

I'm glad that people like my license plate and they can check me out at: http://www.610slug.com - www.610slug.com or www.fassler.com

Hope to see you and give you a lift soon!

--Mike (a.k.a. 610 SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by dkerley
[br]I have seen one that reads:

"610 Slug" and he seems to be the driver most times.

Dina

I, too, have seen this "610 SLUG" black car and once as the lone occupant of his vehicle before 6pm! That's why it would suck sometimes to have a vanity plate 'cause people will tend to remember you when you falter.

Posted By: Slug15
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 10:44am
I can say that I know you, 610-Slug, and I am vouching for you. I couldn't imagine you (of all drivers) violating HOV restrictions! I appreciate the many, many rides you have given me (especially in the evenings when you obviously didn't even need to pick up slugs because HOV restrictions would be lifted by the time you get to the 14th Street bridge), but you make that stop anyway on 14th Street and you do take as many of us slugs that will fit in your car. Thank you for picking me up, you have saved me from countless long, boring rides on the bus (not to mention money).

Posted By: KCWolfPck
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 12:40pm
I've seen the Honda Insight with the plates "GAS EL" several times.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 11:43pm
Thank you for that stunning endorsement!

I'm thinking that maybe I was simply driving SO QUICKLY (being MOST efficient in getting myself and slugs to/from work in as little time as possible), that they just didn't SEE the slugs in the car!!

--Mike (aka 610-SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by Slug15
[br]I can say that I know you, 610-Slug, and I am vouching for you. I couldn't imagine you (of all drivers) violating HOV restrictions! I appreciate the many, many rides you have given me (especially in the evenings when you obviously didn't even need to pick up slugs because HOV restrictions would be lifted by the time you get to the 14th Street bridge), but you make that stop anyway on 14th Street and you do take as many of us slugs that will fit in your car. Thank you for picking me up, you have saved me from countless long, boring rides on the bus (not to mention money).

Posted By: dixeedog
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 6:18pm
That's right RoadRunner, I too saw the now imfamous 610 SLUG that very afternoon. He was SLUG-less in the HOV lanes. All I can say is SHAME SHAME SHAME and of course Soylent Green is People.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 8:10pm
Firstly, I do not post on this board as 610 Slug...that's someone else.

Secondly, I repeat my vow that I don't violate. I can't imagine that there are people who would think so. I have MANY regular riders, and I'm sure that they'd all vouch for me and my principles where this is concerned.

Oh well. I obviously WILL continue to pick up sluggers, and the more, the merrier.

...and yes, Soylent Green IS people!

--Mike (aka 610-Slug)

quote:
Originally posted by dixeedog
[br]That's right RoadRunner, I too saw the now imfamous 610 SLUG that very afternoon. He was SLUG-less in the HOV lanes. All I can say is SHAME SHAME SHAME and of course Soylent Green is People.

Posted By: dixeedog
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 9:32pm
Okay Okay I believe him now. 610 slug rules.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 7:06am
this morning about 6:35 on I-395 ... green Toyota hybrid ... cute plate, "GR8MPG" ... like most hybrids: single occupant, no slugs ... and the driver could have been sharing the great MPG with two others [;)]

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 4:20pm
BUMP "610 SLUG" rules. By the way, great web pages.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2004 at 12:45pm
[:D]

There's a car that I've seen in our parking garage with normal VA plates "ELMN8 CF".

Posted By: mpatoka
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2004 at 2:49pm
I also saw one that read "HOV2RT3". That's definitely what we need.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 10:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br][:D]

There's a car that I've seen in our parking garage with normal VA plates "ELMN8 CF".

This is a good one!

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2004 at 7:56am
That's cool...because I just saw that one (HOV2RT3) just last night! :)

610-SLUG (Mike Fassler)

quote:
Originally posted by mpatoka
[br]I also saw one that read "HOV2RT3". That's definitely what we need.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 1:14pm
I saw an hybrid car's vanity plate that reads:

"ONE4HOV". I hope not for too long.

Posted By: ScarletLSG
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 2:11pm
SOME Hybrid drivers ... pick up slugs ... if possible, I do in the evening. AND I have a personalized plate ... don't think I'll advertise what it is though. Don't bash me for NOT picking them up all the time. There are no slug lots or drop-offs that are remotely close to my work.

ScarletLSG
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]I fantasize about the day when hybrids won't be allowed in the HOV and the hybrids will be stuck in traffic in the regular lanes with these cutesy plates like "ME 4 HOV!"

Bob

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 2:19pm
Where do you work that there are no drop-offs by you? If you go remotely close to DC, you can always jump off/on at the Pentagon to drop people at least. If you want to get a Hybrid to save on fuel economy or for our "natural resources" that's great, but DON'T destroy the whole purpose of the HOV. For every hybrid that drives by him/herself on the HOV, there are TWO more cars having to sit in the regular lanes because someone didn't pick them up. That WASTES our natural resources, and causes more gridlock. There is no excuse!

610-SLUG

quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]SOME Hybrid drivers ... pick up slugs ... if possible, I do in the evening. AND I have a personalized plate ... don't think I'll advertise what it is though. Don't bash me for NOT picking them up all the time. There are no slug lots or drop-offs that are remotely close to my work.

ScarletLSG
quote:
Originally posted by Bob
[br]I fantasize about the day when hybrids won't be allowed in the HOV and the hybrids will be stuck in traffic in the regular lanes with these cutesy plates like "ME 4 HOV!"

Bob

Posted By: ronin718
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 3:15pm
LSG works out in the Reston area (got this from another thread). Gotta cut her some slack.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 3:21pm
Works in Reston? I guess that qualifies for some slack. However, I'm surprised that LSG uses I-95 or the HOV at all, rather than taking the back way out 610 through Manassas. But whatever works....

--610-SLUG

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]LSG works out in the Reston area (got this from another thread). Gotta cut her some slack.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 3:41pm
Mfassler, Bottom line is if the person is operating a Hybrid, they have more of an option/choice (legally), to use the HOV lanes than a non-Hybrid vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love the slugging mentality, but I wish I had that "choice" more often. Now I not saying I wish I had a Hybrid, just the option of using the HOV (legally), without picking up slugs...during the HOV posted times. Hope I didn't open myself up for potshots! [;)] !

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 3:46pm
What we're complaining about isn't so much the people operating the Hybrids...but the LAW. THAT is what's WRONG! Even VDOT clearly states that the HOV lanes were designed and built SOLELY for relieving traffic in the area...so while Hybrids may be great for the environment, that is not the purpose of the HOV lanes. Allowing Hybrids on the HOV without the 3 people in it simply creates MORE traffic and when the current law expires next year, the hybrid owners can start doing their part in allieviating congestion. They should be required (because of their fuel efficiency) to carry 4 people, rather than 3...if for no other reason, than to make up for the past few years that they've been allowed to "cheat."

Mike (610-SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Mfassler, Bottom line is if the person is operating a Hybrid, they have more of an option/choice (legally), to use the HOV lanes than a non-Hybrid vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love the slugging mentality, but I wish I had that "choice" more often. Now I not saying I wish I had a Hybrid, just the option of using the HOV (legally), without picking up slugs...during the HOV posted times. Hope I didn't open myself up for potshots! [;)] !

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 4:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by mfassler
[br]What we're complaining about isn't so much the people operating the Hybrids...but the LAW. THAT is what's WRONG! Even VDOT clearly states that the HOV lanes were designed and built SOLELY for relieving traffic in the area...so while Hybrids may be great for the environment, that is not the purpose of the HOV lanes. Allowing Hybrids on the HOV without the 3 people in it simply creates MORE traffic and when the current law expires next year, the hybrid owners can start doing their part in allieviating congestion. They should be required (because of their fuel efficiency) to carry 4 people, rather than 3...if for no other reason, than to make up for the past few years that they've been allowed to "cheat."

Mike (610-SLUG)

Speaking of the law. I recently tried looking up the law that exempts hybrids and I can't find it anymore. There used to be specific language that stated that the Civic, Insight and Prius hybrids can get clean fuel plates.

It was either part of VA § 46.2-749.3 or VA § 33.1-46.2 but it is no longer there. They used to include something along the lines of
"for purposes of this section the Civic, Insight, and Prius hybrids are considered clean special fuel vehicles". I wrote the VA DMV to get an explanation of what law gives them the authority to issue clean fuel plates to hybrids and they never wrote me back. Now I'm starting to wonder if the language that used to talk about hybrids was removed in some recent amendment to either of those sections of law.

If you read http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-749.3 it is pretty obvious that the definition there can't apply to hybrids since they are talking about the actual fuel the car runs on being cleaner than conventional gas and hybrids run on conventional gasoline. The other section doesn't mention hybrids http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+33.1-46.2

Does anyone know where to get a clear answer about this since DMV has failed to respond?

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 4:22pm
I agree with you about Gas/Electric Hybrid's not truly qualifying for exemptions...but nonetheless, they are. Here's a quote from VirginiaDOT.org
----------------------------------
What happens on July 1, 2006 when the hybrid vehicle rule expires?

There is no guarantee that HOV exemptions for inherently low-emission vehicles or hybrids will continue. Exemptions to rules pertaining to travel on HOV lanes are being scrutinized, and as more ILEVs and hybrids enter the HOV lanes, there becomes an increased need to examine their exempt status.

The HOV Task Force Report released in August made this recommendation: "Do not extend the exemption for vehicles with clean special fuel license plates set to expire on July 1, 2006." The Federal Highway Administration has advised Virginia that its exemption for hybrid vehicles is in violation of current Federal statute.
-----------------------------

Hopefully they will expire that illegal, and extremely deterimental exemption sooner than July 2006...but until then, we can just keep hoping that the drivers will learn on their own to help others in need and help reduce the congestion that we all face day-in and day-out.

Mike (610-SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
[br]What we're complaining about isn't so much the people operating the Hybrids...but the LAW. THAT is what's WRONG! Even VDOT clearly states that the HOV lanes were designed and built SOLELY for relieving traffic in the area...so while Hybrids may be great for the environment, that is not the purpose of the HOV lanes. Allowing Hybrids on the HOV without the 3 people in it simply creates MORE traffic and when the current law expires next year, the hybrid owners can start doing their part in allieviating congestion. They should be required (because of their fuel efficiency) to carry 4 people, rather than 3...if for no other reason, than to make up for the past few years that they've been allowed to "cheat."

Mike (610-SLUG)

Speaking of the law. I recently tried looking up the law that exempts hybrids and I can't find it anymore. There used to be specific language that stated that the Civic, Insight and Prius hybrids can get clean fuel plates.

It was either part of VA § 46.2-749.3 or VA § 33.1-46.2 but it is no longer there. They used to include something along the lines of
"for purposes of this section the Civic, Insight, and Prius hybrids are considered clean special fuel vehicles". I wrote the VA DMV to get an explanation of what law gives them the authority to issue clean fuel plates to hybrids and they never wrote me back. Now I'm starting to wonder if the language that used to talk about hybrids was removed in some recent amendment to either of those sections of law.

If you read http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-749.3 it is pretty obvious that the definition there can't apply to hybrids since they are talking about the actual fuel the car runs on being cleaner than conventional gas and hybrids run on conventional gasoline. The other section doesn't mention hybrids http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+33.1-46.2

Does anyone know where to get a clear answer about this since DMV has failed to respond?

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 5:53pm
quote:

Hopefully they will expire that illegal, and extremely deterimental exemption sooner than July 2006...but until then, we can just keep hoping that the drivers will learn on their own to help others in need and help reduce the congestion that we all face day-in and day-out.

The ILEV exemption is not "illegal."

Actually, as far as the hybrid exemption goes, the exemption would only be illegal on HOV lanes built using federal money, as those are the only roads on which the feds can regulate such things. Virginia could continue to allow hybrids into the HOV lanes in Old Town or on the Dulles Toll Road (which I think was widened using only state funding). I'm not saying they should or should not--just that they could.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2004 at 10:06pm
610-SLUG

Seen your car OFTEN. I'll give you the short version. I generally don't go into work until after 9:00 a.m. I do return home SOMETIMES before the 6:00 p.m. HOV deadline. I am a military wife that lives on the Quantico Marine Base. My line of work almost completely requires that I work in the Dulles corridor area. As a military wife, I don't CHOOSE to be here and am just doing my best to make it through the 3+ year tour here. Owning a Hybrid helps. Now, I also HELPED to eliminate congestion, by negotiating a telecommuting proposal with my company. 2 days per week ... many weeks ... I'm able to work from home. As far as my route ... I drive 95 to 395 get off at the Pentagon, shoot across 110 to 66 and connect to the Dulles Tollroad. It 10 extra miles, but gets me to work 25-30 minutes faster than the beltway and 20+ minutes faster than ALL of the backroads.

ScarletLSG

quote:
[br]Works in Reston? I guess that qualifies for some slack. However, I'm surprised that LSG uses I-95 or the HOV at all, rather than taking the back way out 610 through Manassas. But whatever works....

--610-SLUG

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]LSG works out in the Reston area (got this from another thread). Gotta cut her some slack.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 1:52pm
Roadrunner, if you read the definition that 6. uses for clean special fuel vehicle(§ 46.2-749.3) then hybrids don't qualify.

mfassler, that's great that DMV has that on their website. But they have to abide by state law and their actions have to be rooted in law. Right now I'm trying to figure out what law they are using to claim the authority to issue to plates to hybrids. I can't find one.

USA, you are right about the ILEV law only applying to federally funded HOV lanes. But the state clean special fuel exemption grants access to all HOV lanes in VA(including federaly funded ones) without specifying that clean special fuel vehicles have to be at least ILEV rate. So it does run afoul of the federal law.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 2:00pm
quote:
USA, you are right about the ILEV law only applying to federally funded HOV lanes. But the state clean special fuel exemption grants access to all HOV lanes in VA(including federaly funded ones) without specifying that clean special fuel vehicles have to be at least ILEV rate. So it does run afoul of the federal law.

Right, I follow you; what I meant to say but didn't say very clearly was that Virginia could impose a split regime and allow hybrids (and ILEVs) into HOV lanes not built using any federal dollars, while allowing only the ILEVs (and not the hybrids) into the HOV lanes built in whole or part with federal dollars.

I guess ideally then the hybrids would get their own special license plate instead of the CF.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 2:10pm
I can't find any anything ANYWHERE that gives the DMV rights to issue the CF license plate to a hybrid vehicle. It uses gasoline--end of story. But the DMV doesn't much listen to me. :(

--610-SLUG

quote:
[br]Roadrunner, if you read the definition that 6. uses for clean special fuel vehicle(§ 46.2-749.3) then hybrids don't qualify.

mfassler, that's great that DMV has that on their website. But they have to abide by state law and their actions have to be rooted in law. Right now I'm trying to figure out what law they are using to claim the authority to issue to plates to hybrids. I can't find one.

Posted By: jerryclapham
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 2:37pm
I have seen two uniques plates in the HOV. One on a hybird that states HOV-1. There were two people in the car. The other car regularly picked up at Potomac Mills his plates read SLUGCAR

Jerry

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 4:05pm
I've seen one that reads "MY HOV" and needless to say, they don't pick up slugs at all.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 4:33pm
I've seen the one that reads "HOV-1" and as Jerryclapham says, he was with another person.

Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 6:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]I've seen one that reads "MY HOV" and needless to say, they don't pick up slugs at all.

Same here -- these types of plates can be pretty inflammatory, especially on a crowded Friday afternoon after counting 6 hybrids in the past 5 minutes.[}:)] Almost an 'up yours' attitude if you ask me...

- Will

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 9:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]I've seen one that reads "MY HOV" and needless to say, they don't pick up slugs at all.

Same here -- these types of plates can be pretty inflammatory, especially on a crowded Friday afternoon after counting 6 hybrids in the past 5 minutes.[}:)] Almost an 'up yours' attitude if you ask me...

- Will

On the other hand, given the confrontational attitudes some folks here show, a little bit of provocation is to be expected.....

Posted By: fugitiveALiEN
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2004 at 5:29pm
My Plate: 54 MPG

I chose it because all the other ones i wanted were taken ;)
HOV-1, 999MPG, HOV POS, but mainly to keep the simmering rage of hybrid haters cool-er [|)], and the unfortunate NON-HOV-1ers [:D] low.

Now that traffic is pretty terrible, i understand the frustration and hatred of the hybrids, BUT it's not all hybrid's fault, and originally HOV lanes were started for conservation reasons due to the gas crisis and environmental concerns. To me High Occupancy Vehicle lanes made sense because they exponentially reduces emissions from 1 car to 2 or 3 cars worth of gasses. I personally haven't really used HOV but sporadically lately due to the fact that traffic, hov or not, is just plain awful. The only let-up i've seen was HOV on the toll-road, i guess most people don't want to pay to drive to work ;) I also am not able to carpool since i have one of those crazy network jobs where you never know when you're going to have to stay late because of whatever reason. So to just be mad and bitter at hybrids just isn't fair. Until the law has been changed, and i don't know if it will be, they're legit.

I hope that they will change the laws to not just allow any old vehicle access just because there's an "electric supercharger" or something on it, but rather a true conformity to SULEV standards like the prius and insight are, or virtually non-existant emission electric vehicles that run on gel or sealed lead-acid batteries.

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2004 at 5:37pm
Once upon a time I wanted to own a hybrid. I've since changed my mind due to fairness issues and uncertainty with what the laws allowing for their use in HOV lanes as "single-occupant-vehicles" will do. However, I was going to have the following vanity plate -- just for fun: GASHOG.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2004 at 12:48am
quote:
Originally posted by fugitiveALiEN
[br]

I hope that they will change the laws to not just allow any old vehicle access just because there's an "electric supercharger" or something on it, but rather a true conformity to SULEV standards like the prius and insight are, or virtually non-existant emission electric vehicles that run on gel or sealed lead-acid batteries.

The Prius and Insight don't meet the SULEV standard on the gas sold here. That SULEV rating is only given out by California and they test the cars using the CARB gasoline that is only sold in California. When tested on the reformulated gasoline in this area the cars run dirtier. That's why for the Prius you see the two different rating on the green vehicle guide at the EPA website. The Prius still gets a repectable "9" rating here, same as a Ford Focus. Also, the Insight that is given the SULEV rating is not the same version of the Insight sold here. Honda does this with both of their hybrids, they take off some of the emissions equipment outside of the California market to save some money. So both the Honda Civic and Insight hybrids get a lousy "6" rating here.

But I do agree with you that if they don't get rid of the law they need to make the law based on real emissions instead of perceived(i.e. marketing hype and uninformed media hype) emissions. That way maybe Honda would start selling the clean versions of the cars here and cars such as the Ford Focus would get the recognition for being clean that they deserve.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2004 at 3:25pm
Okay--the HOV lanes were very clearly NOT created for the purpose of conservation--check out virginiadot.org--it states the the SOLE purpose of the HOV lanes is to alliviate TRAFFIC congestion, and that NO car without 3 occupants in it should be allowed on the HOV lanes. The are NOT legitimate accornding to VDOT..and as they are state funded roads, VDOT should have the final say...but the Federal and State Congress over-ruled them because the auto makers have lobbyists with deep pockets and PACs that I'm sure greased the way quite a bit for tax breaks and HOV exemptions.

Secondly, as has been mentioned several times on this board, HYBRIDS are not CLEAN FUEL vehicles....they use ordinary GASOLINE!! And on the I-95 HOV lanes, at normal flowing speeds, they aren't even using ANY of the battery going 65mph. So it's a bunch of crap!

HYBRID DRIVERS--GET OFF OUR ROADS!!! EITHER PICK UP PEOPLE (and not just 2, but as many as need rides...fill up those cars people!!) or SIT IN TRAFFIC LIKE EVERY OTHER SELFISH PERSON IN THE DC AREA!!!

--Mike (aka 610-SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by fugitiveALiEN
[br]My Plate: 54 MPG

I chose it because all the other ones i wanted were taken ;)
HOV-1, 999MPG, HOV POS, but mainly to keep the simmering rage of hybrid haters cool-er [|)], and the unfortunate NON-HOV-1ers [:D] low.

Now that traffic is pretty terrible, i understand the frustration and hatred of the hybrids, BUT it's not all hybrid's fault, and originally HOV lanes were started for conservation reasons due to the gas crisis and environmental concerns. To me High Occupancy Vehicle lanes made sense because they exponentially reduces emissions from 1 car to 2 or 3 cars worth of gasses. I personally haven't really used HOV but sporadically lately due to the fact that traffic, hov or not, is just plain awful. The only let-up i've seen was HOV on the toll-road, i guess most people don't want to pay to drive to work ;) I also am not able to carpool since i have one of those crazy network jobs where you never know when you're going to have to stay late because of whatever reason. So to just be mad and bitter at hybrids just isn't fair. Until the law has been changed, and i don't know if it will be, they're legit.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2004 at 10:22pm
610-Slug,

Comments like yours do nothing to promote carpooling. Calling someone selfish, without knowing or caring about their personal circumstances just makes them thankful that they aren't carpooling or slugging with YOU!

ScarletLSG

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 9:32am
Why does every train of thought turn to "I hate Hybrids"? Hybrids DO save on gas -- maybe not as much as the sticker but have you actually figured out what your actual gas mileage is for your SUV???? If the Hybrids were tested following the same method as the other cars on the road, you might be shocked at how poorly your cars actually do! I was a little upset with my regular CIVIC -- never got about 240 mi. to the tank. So now I'm filling up every other week -- hey that's great.

610-Slug, don't be so judgmental and hateful. I have been picking up slugs when I'm able! Found it quite easy. And yes traffic is piling up every where - HOV is not exempt from the increase in traffic. I also figure that traffic will pick up on the roads with the new hike in Metro fares.

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 9:49am
But if you're driving alone on the HOV, either violating or in a Hybrid (same as violating to me), then you are not doing anything to promote carpooling. Just about every person I slug with has commented that we wish the "freeloaders" (ie Hybrid drivers) would pick up at LEAST 2 slugs each way, so that they are on a level playing field...otherwise they ARE being selfish by not sharing with others and HELPING to allieviate traffic. I understand very well how bad traffic is getting, even on the HOV...but Hybrid's driving ALONE just make it worse...

quote:
[br]610-Slug,

Comments like yours do nothing to promote carpooling. Calling someone selfish, without knowing or caring about their personal circumstances just makes them thankful that they aren't carpooling or slugging with YOU!

ScarletLSG

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 10:16am
610-Slug,

I'm sure you've read my previous posts and know at least minimally of my situation. I live ON Quantico and commute almost to the Dulles Airport. I DO pick up slugs when my schedule allows -- read that to mean ... when I go to work early enough and come home early enough to get them at Potomac Mills and Pentagon. VERY often I go to work after the 9:00 a.m. opening to all traffic and come home well past 10:00 p.m. That is THREE days per week. The other two days, I telecommute from home ... eliminating my presence on ANY road completely.

My point? Pointing the "selfish" finger at all hybrid owners is inciteful ... just makes them THAT MUCH MORE likely to NOT pick up slugs, carpool and continue their effort to maintain their HOV privileges. While 20,000 people slug in and out of DC every day ... how many of them actually sit down and write their congress member? I could put down a large percentage of DC commuters for not investigating a telecommuting proposal or for driving a ridiculous gas-guzzling SUV. But I don't know their personal circumstances ... they may not have the facilities to work from home, or need the SUV to haul 6 kids on the weekends.

Bottom line is that you judge indiscriminately. I'm thankful that our stay here is temporary and that we'll be taking our selfish military serving selves out of the DC Metro area.

ScarletLSG

quote:
[br]But if you're driving alone on the HOV, either violating or in a Hybrid (same as violating to me), then you are not doing anything to promote carpooling. Just about every person I slug with has commented that we wish the "freeloaders" (ie Hybrid drivers) would pick up at LEAST 2 slugs each way, so that they are on a level playing field...otherwise they ARE being selfish by not sharing with others and HELPING to allieviate traffic. I understand very well how bad traffic is getting, even on the HOV...but Hybrid's driving ALONE just make it worse...

quote:
[br]610-Slug,

ScarletLSG

Posted By: Geezehead
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 10:54am
Wow - what a firecracker. Yes LSG your commute is an exception in my book and I would think most everyone else. 610 was echoing what I posted on the CX plate thread. Clearly it is selfish to drive from the south all the way into town alone. Legal yes, which I painfully admitted before, but that is where the societal arguments enter referring to acting like a citizen and helping other folks into town thereby reducing congestion. Bottom line to all of these hybrid 'bashing' posts: Those of you that can, pick up some riders!

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 7:30pm
Thanks Geezehead.

I ABSOLUTELY agree that a Hybrid owner that is driving from close to ANY slug lot to the Pentagon or DC SHOULD pick up slugs. It is good for the environment AND reduces traffic. I actually do, about once per week.

Funny story ... my oldest daughter is seen by docs at Walter Reed about once a month. Generally, my husband takes her ... drives a regular ole non-Hybrid car. Hubby tried to convince her that it was safe to pick up a slug at Potomac Mills, but being 12, she was just wary of the whole "stranger" thing. It's a fine line to walk -- strangers are dangerous ... unless they are slugs!! End result, he ends up taking youngest daughter. She whines INCESSANTLY ... "Why do **I** always have to be the slug?" Of course that whining subsided when she realized it was a ticket out of a half day of school.

ScarletLSG

Posted By: Slug15
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2004 at 10:43pm
I have to agree with 610-Slug, he is absolutely right (HOV lanes on I-95 was created to alleviate congestion; if they were created for conservation, then why would they allow those stinky, smelly Metro buses to still operate? Okay, maybe there a FEW "clean fuel" buses, but I see them few and far between). Anyway, 610-Slug has saved me countless times by picking me up in the mornings and the afternoons and I truly appreciate it. I will always be a willing slug to 610-Slug. BTW, I own a nice, big SUV and my husband owns a BIG 4X4 V8 pickup truck; and when I'm stuck in traffic, I set my temperature control to just the right temperature and crack up my XM radio. We will give up our gas-guzzling vehicles when they pry it from our cold hands!

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 9:08am
You had me for awhile. I was agreeing with you about how hybrids should pick people up - it's the neighborly thing to do, after all - and keeping traffic down is in ALL of our best interests, but then you go and say that stuff about how you're "proud" to own not one but two enormous gas guzzling machines. And that's unfortunate. Because we'd all be better off if there were fewer of those around, too. No offense.

Eric
Tackett's Mill to Rosslyn and back I slug.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 10:21am
Look--sorry that you're stuck living on a military base instead of getting a house near the Dulles airport, or that you can't seem to find a job in the I-95 corridor. However, this is NO excuse for breaking Virginia Department of Transportation law and driving a GASOLINE car (even if it uses SOME battery power at SLOW speeds and LOW gears) taking up the same amount of space on the road as a car that holds THREE or more people.

I am a STRICT advocate that there is NO EXCUSE to drive alone in the HOV-lanes. I don't care what kind of car you're driving or how high a toll or fee you're willing to pay. If you're not a part of the solution, you're part of the problem. You are taking up room on the HOV instead of sitting in the traffic of the regular lanes where you belong. Again--HOV lanes have ONE (not two or three) purpose--to alliviate traffic for those who are willing to share their rides. If you feel that because you paid some amount of money in purchasing a GASOLINE-hybrid vehicle (which is NOT CLEAN FUEL) that you can clog up _OUR_ road, then you are sorely mistaken. Either start a carpool, a vanpool, pick up slugs, or get a job closer to home.

Otherwise, I wish you well and hope that your military career (or that of your spouse) takes you away from this area where people won't deem you selfish and rude for STEALING space on _OUR_ roads just because you have a certain TYPE of car.

Not only should the HOV times be extended to 10am in the morning, and through 7:30pm in the afternoon, but they should be made HOV-4 and there needs to be a MUCH higher enforcement of these laws. At least the fines and DMV points will double starting tomorrow (July 1, 2004), and hopefully that will get some of the violators off of the road.

At least those violators are "honest" about their cheating...as opposed to CF vehicles that believe that they are better than everyone else and therefore don't have to follow the rules that VDOT set up when it constructed the lanes...before the Congress decided to step in because of all of the money that the automakers gave them when they lobbied for the exemption. Some nerve!

Hope you and your Hybrid-denfending pals get transferred somewhere else soon! I assure you that all of the slugs that see Hybrids on the road curse at them everytime...honking and cursing that they should get over in the regular lanes where they belong. If hybrid drivers TRUELY feel that they are being ecological and saving the planet, that's great...more power to 'em...but they should find 2 (or more) additional riders to go with them, or else stay off the HOV! PERIOD. I see no exceptions...unless there is a medical or police emergency, they can sit in trafic or get a new job or new house near where they work. End of story. Ask any non-hybrid driver in the DC area, and they all seem to agree...I don't think I'm being harsh by thinking that people should follow the LAW as it was intended, not push Congress to allow them to break it, and nullify the ONLY reason that the roads were built in the first place.

--Mike (610-SLUG)

quote:
[br]Thanks Geezehead.

I ABSOLUTELY agree that a Hybrid owner that is driving from close to ANY slug lot to the Pentagon or DC SHOULD pick up slugs. It is good for the environment AND reduces traffic. I actually do, about once per week.

Funny story ... my oldest daughter is seen by docs at Walter Reed about once a month. Generally, my husband takes her ... drives a regular ole non-Hybrid car. Hubby tried to convince her that it was safe to pick up a slug at Potomac Mills, but being 12, she was just wary of the whole "stranger" thing. It's a fine line to walk -- strangers are dangerous ... unless they are slugs!! End result, he ends up taking youngest daughter. She whines INCESSANTLY ... "Why do **I** always have to be the slug?" Of course that whining subsided when she realized it was a ticket out of a half day of school.

ScarletLSG

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 11:04am
No, 610-slug, I think you got it wrong and are being very judgmental of others. You don't say anything about motocycles (yes, they take up space and like to drive down the center line and create their own set of issues) or off-duty police men (who think THEY are better the rest of us just because they CHOOSE to become policemen. They violate more laws: they speed, they tailgate). The Virginia Lawmakers gave Hybrid owners the HOV exemption -- so, no, hybrids are not violating HOV. When the exemption is taken away, we will comply and either violate HOV or choose to carpool.

I think YOU need to write some letters and focus your frustrations about the overall increased traffic congestion appropriately. By the way, when I'm on the lanes I do have at least 1-3 others (not always slugs, but when I'm able I stop by the lines). I have found the people who slug to be pleasant, and I bet if you are offered a ride by a hybrid owner, you won't turn your nose up in the air. Or will you? Will you wait for the next ride?

Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 11:09am
Well, you're right--I have a problem with motorcycles taking up space on the HOV and not having 3 or more people on their vehicle just as much as hybrids. So, you're right--they are just as bad.

I am only a slug-driver, so I have never ridden with a hybrid vehicle...but even if I DID slug, I have nothing against hybrids, or their drivers, as long as they comply and have three people, just like every other car out there...so I most certainly WOULD get into a hybrid (or other CF) vehicle in a slug (or other carpool) line.

As far as military people go..I think they are wonderful and I'm glad that they are defending our country...this was NOT a slam against military families. But neither should anyone go and think that because of where one lives (be it a military base or any other home) gives them the right to take a job far away and then complain that because of that, they should be allowed to violate the VDOT rules for which the HOV lanes were created!

Mike (610-SLUG)

quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]No, 610-slug, I think you got it wrong and are being very judgmental of others. You don't say anything about motocycles (yes, they take up space and like to drive down the center line and create their own set of issues) or off-duty police men (who think THEY are better the rest of us just because they CHOOSE to become policemen. They violate more laws: they speed, they tailgate). The Virginia Lawmakers gave Hybrid owners the HOV exemption -- so, no, hybrids are not violating HOV. When the exemption is taken away, we will comply and either violate HOV or choose to carpool.

I think YOU need to write some letters and focus your frustrations about the overall increased traffic congestion appropriately. By the way, when I'm on the lanes I do have at least 1-3 others (not always slugs, but when I'm able I stop by the lines). I have found the people who slug to be pleasant, and I bet if you are offered a ride by a hybrid owner, you won't turn your nose up in the air. Or will you? Will you wait for the next ride?

Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 11:12am
Oh--and I DO write to both VDOT and Virginia State legislature as well as the federal government transportation secretary for IMMEDIATELY issuing an apology for the gross mistake of literally FORCING VDOT (and the police officers that patrol the roads) to not ticket the hybrid (and all other CF) vehicles even if they are in violation of VDOT rules proclaiming that ALL vehicles MUST have 3 or more persons in them to qualify to ride on the HOV lanes to reduce traffic.

--Mike (610-SLUG)

quote:
[br]No, 610-slug, I think you got it wrong and are being very judgmental of others. You don't say anything about motocycles (yes, they take up space and like to drive down the center line and create their own set of issues) or off-duty police men (who think THEY are better the rest of us just because they CHOOSE to become policemen. They violate more laws: they speed, they tailgate). The Virginia Lawmakers gave Hybrid owners the HOV exemption -- so, no, hybrids are not violating HOV. When the exemption is taken away, we will comply and either violate HOV or choose to carpool.

Posted By: Geezehead
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 11:14am
Stuck - You have repeated this line or reasoning at least twice now. If you pick up Slugs then none of this applies to you. So, keep picking up Slugs!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 12:10pm
I'm guilty like the rest of the hybrids of not being fully HOV compliant. This site did make me see (along with a very vocal co-worker) that the HOV should remain 3. All just have to smile our way through the traffic because it's not going away anytime soon.

Posted By: elypsis
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 3:46pm
Would everyone please get back on topic!!!! There are already dicussions concerning this issue...please join them and stay there. Your opinions are interesting and I'd like to read them... but not here. Thank you!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 3:53pm
Stuck2

THANK YOU for this:

>>Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.<<

After reading 610-Slug's post, I wanted to explode. Military families want to do just ONE thing and that is serve. Alongside out military spouse we serve this entire country, the best way we can. How dare ANYONE call us selfish? My spouse often works 18-20 hours per day ... multiply that by about 300 days per year / give or take and divide that into his annual salary and you get less than minimum wage. I left Active Duty in 1998 and have since had to leave FIVE jobs due to PCS moves. I enter each new job hoping to stay long enough to move past entry level salary range. So NO ... we CANNOT afford a home in the Dulles corridor.

We don't complain, we DO love our life and the challenges it brings to us. I thank you for NOT grouping us under an umbrella description of selfish.

ScarletLSG

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2004 at 4:10pm
Mike

Your comment:

>>gives them the right to take a job far away and then complain that because of that<<

indicates that a military spouse has an abundance of job opportunities at every new place they are stationed. You have NO idea how hard it is get a new job every 18 months or so. A military spouse, has to be VERY circumspect with his/her situation. Often when an interviewing authority figures out that a job candidate is a military spouse, that candidate is disqualified. So, you might say, that the spouse shouldn't disclose that they are in fact military. Well, the resume speaks for itself ... and if it doesn't, then the references DO. MANY times a military spouse takes a job in a different occupation at every transition ... JUST to get a job. The WHERE is generally the last consideration for the spouse in determining whether to accept a position or not.

I don't complain about moving often or my job locale. I do make the best of sometimes difficult situations. Sorry if you perceive that as selfish. You have obviously discounted the fact that I telecommute two days per week, drive outside of normal commuting hours on most other days and when I'm unable to do those, make every bloody attempt to pick up slugs for the remainder.

ScarletLSG

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 8:53am
I saw this peculiar vanity plate this morning. It read: "QTNHOV."

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 9:42am
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I saw this peculiar vanity plate this morning. It read: "QTNHOV."

What type of car was it on?

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 9:43am
>>Don't ever slam military families. They put up with enough grief and hardship. And they belong and contribute to whatever community they set down in -- even for the short period of time they are allowed to stay.<<

Former army brat [:D] Didn't know where VA was until we landed here and stayed.[:(]

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2004 at 10:04am
quote:
[br]
quote:

What type of car was it on?

It was a green car. Probably, an Acura or Camry type of car. That's all I could see.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 9:05am
quote:

Was the driver female? My first thought when I read this was "Quitting HOV," but you said you think it was an Acura or a Camry, so odds are it was neither a hybrid nor an alternative-fuel vehicle, so my second guess was "Cutie in HOV," hence the question about whether the driver was female.

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2004 at 11:49am
Yes, it was a female driver.

Posted By: NoNo
Date Posted: 23 Jul 2004 at 3:09pm
Yesterday afternoon, Pentagon line.

HUGE Ford Expedition, license plate:

KLN EARTH.

We couldn't decide whether he wanted a clean earth, or was just killing it. [:p]

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2004 at 7:35am
7AM, 8/19, 2 Hybrids: 1 had "51 MPG", the other "HOVstr".

Posted By: ExecSec
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2004 at 3:16pm
[:D]That's funny Nono- I've seen that one too!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net