Print Page | Close Window

Prince William police breaking up Slugline

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=862
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 2:08am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prince William police breaking up Slugline
Posted By: swichowski
Subject: Prince William police breaking up Slugline
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 7:34am
Why did the Prince William police decide to tell cars not to stop at Horner Road and would not let them pick up slugs. Cars were driving all over the lot looking for people. They want to mess up a system that has been in place for years. We need to act on this!

Replies:
Posted By: map077
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 8:43am
I spoke with the officer at Horner Road this morning, Friday, March 12th. He was given an order to come to the commuter lot this morning and redirect the cars because he was told the cars entering to pick up people overflowed onto Telegraph and were causing a dangerous situation. I told him to just look at what was happening at that moment - it was chaos! The cars were still spilling over onto Telegraph plus there was major confusion for everyone with people walking all over the place looking for a car to pick them up. I agree, we need to do something about this and it needs to be done now. The officer said the commuter lot is State property so we need to contact our state officials for our area. Bottom line - the bus service in Pr Wm County CANNOT accommodate the number of commuters in our area even if we all wanted to ride! Slugging is the only viable solution and it needs to be kept in place without interference!

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 9:19am
What time did this happen? I was at the lot around 7:15am and no problems.

Cheers,

Glacier

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 9:57am
This was at the DC lines at 6:50

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 1:21pm
Yes I was there this morning that was crazy, I ended up going around the parking lot and U-turning and went to Potomac to pickup,It look like another line of cars had formed and there was no end that was in itself a very dangerous situation,there were a few cars that almost had a fender bender. The problem for the last week with traffic over flow onto Telegraph was the line being turned around, the person's that think turning the line around does not think about the fact that when you turn the line around that causes a back up of cars waiting to pick up, only one car at a time can pull up to pickup, with the line in the regular direction at least 4 cars can pullup,pickup and move out. And with gas prices rising by the second I really do not appreciate sitting there longer then normal burning gas like it's FREE![:(!]

Mrs. B

Posted By: ronsray
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 4:24pm
Please look at the topic [:)]Fix Horner Road Lines[:)] This would go a long way towards fixing this.

Ron

Posted By: slugdriver
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 6:19pm
This morning's crackdown on slugline traffic was non-effective (cars still were queing on Telegraph Rd, the stated reason form police intervention) and as said caused mass confusion! Some one should find out who we should call about this to complain: police, VDOT, our PW delegates or who. Then we can start a phone or e-mail campaign!

The root of the problem is the volume and time it takes to pick up DC destined sluggers...I'm all for splitting 14th and 18th/Navy etc but the suggestion on the forum (4 lanes in from Telegraph in the AM, lines on both sides)...it ain't gonna happen.

Would something else work....what about queing inside the lots (parallel to the street and the "existing" slugline, just on the lot side of the sidewalk), exiting out of the lots to the right, back onto the main road after picking up slugs? Since there are several entrances to lots, maybe the line could be split. Of course, no sluggers could park along the sidewalks and the lots would be more congested until they fill up.

Any other "workable" ideas not requiring official intervention? Who decides anyway? [?]

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 6:41pm
I am not a Horner slug, but I will add this: You need an adequate amount of room for cars to back up while waiting. The amt of room must be adequate to accommodate the worst situation. Obviously, there is not enough room for cars to line up here without interfering with Telegraph. It appears the location of the line should be moved if this becomes a regular occurrence.

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2004 at 7:15am
We need to work together on resolving this for the benefit of everybody. A similiar situation happened in Crystal City a few years back, but working with the authorities, we reached a compromise. Prince William police have "allowed" slugging to occur without intervention but when it become a real safety issue they are obligated to step in.

Let's, as slugs, come up with two or three ways to solve this and I'll try to arrange a meeting with PWC police so we can get this fixed! If they come up with solutions for us, we may not be happy. So, let's develop our our suggestions to propose to them.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2004 at 11:06am
I just finished speaking with the PWC police department regarding the Horner Road issue. Since the Traffic Management offices are closed on weekends I could not speak to representative. Traffic Management is the office to help resolve this issue.

I did discuss the problem with the office on charge today. Since there is a shift change early Monday morning, and he does not know who will be working that area, his recommendation was to speak to the officers on duty Monday. I will try to coordinate some relief or assistance from the department (as opposed to issuing citation).

IF YOU HAVE IDEAS OR RECOMMENDATIONS ON HOW YOU WOULD WANT TO SOLVE THE TRAFFICE PROBLEMS, I NEED YOUR IDEAS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2004 at 9:51pm
I am encouraged that we are getting responses and attention to the now critical situation at Horner Road. I appreciate the fact that PW County Police have "allowed" slugging but I think the police, the officials, VDOT and whomever else must recognize that if we don't have slugging it will cripple our (those of us who work in DC) ability to get to work! Everyday I look over at the regular lanes and thank God I don't have to be there. In addition, my agency has NO parking and I am a single female on a very limited budget who frankly, can't afford to drive even if it was an option. If I am suddenly forced to either drive and pay for parking or take the bus everyday I'd never make it financially. In addition, the number of buses currently available would NEVER accommodate the number of people who would need to use the system if there was no slugging.

All this being said, my point is, PW County has NO CHOICE but to "ALLOW" slugging! Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for safety and for protecting everyone using Horner Road. But Friday morning is a blatant example of how good intentions can turn a bad situation into something much, much worse! I think what we need is someone in the Traffic Control area to take a REALISTIC and SYMPATHETIC look at what is happening with slugging and quickly come to some conclusion. I am all for discussing as well as trying different ways until we find a viable solution. I don't think we should be forced to accept just any solution. We should be open-minded and willing to cooperate with the powers that be as long as they support our situation. However, if we get resistance to slugging I truly feel we need to band together and make as much "noise" by bringing the media and whomever else in to make a case for continuing slugging.

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 2:34pm
[:D]This was posted under another topic, but it works here too---[8)]I'm sure you all have noticed that the AM lines at Horner Road have become a mess. There a a few reasons for this. 1. The line of cars is trying to pick up riders for 14th & 18th Sts at the same location. 2. They cannot match driver with rider fast enough. 3. The line backs up onto telegraph road, causing a dangerous mess. I wrote a letter to VDOT about this, suggesting that they post signs to split the lines so there are separate lines for 14th & 18 sts. The 18th st line could also accomodate L'Enfast & Navy Yard, since most riders go to 14th. They responded that there is not much support for that concept from the rest of the slugging community, as they monitor this web site & have not seen it mentioned here. Well, here it is-------- Make all 4 lanes 1 direction inbound from telegraph rd in the morning. Then we can split the lines with 14th on 1 side & 18th on the other. There would be 2 lanes on both sides so the traffic could still get by. Cars exiting the lot would still be able to exit from the older exit onto Pr. Wm. Pkwy. Any other suggestions? Please post a reply if you think this is a good idea! I think it could make our wait much shorter & eliminate the backup onto telegraph rd. Come on VDOT !!

Ron

Ron

Posted By: rupshur
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2004 at 5:00pm
Morning slug line vehicle traffic flow through Horner Road Commuter lot (West End for DC commuters) needs to be modified to provide for:

1) A more efficient pick-up process.
2) Safer conditions for pedestrians as well and drivers.
3) Stop the practice of vehicular traffic being parked in active lanes of traffic for the parking lot roadway as well as Telegraph Road.
4) Stop slug line interference with the buses and their bus stop.

To accomplish the above, the current AM slug line (West End for DC commuters) needs to be moved and divided into two separate lines.

1) 18th Street and State Dept bound slug line needs to start at the east entrance of the north parking lot.
#61623; The vehicles waiting line is to extend from this entrance around to the outer parking lot lane in the north-westward direction.
#61623; This puts all commuters headed to DC via the Memorial Bridge in the same line.

2) 14th Street, L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard bound slug line needs to start at the east entrance of the south parking lot.
#61623; The vehicles waiting line is to extend from this entrance around to the outer parking lot lane in the south-westward direction.
#61623; This puts all commuters headed to DC via the 14th Street Bridge in the same line.

Other advantages of this arrangement are:
#61623; The vehicle waiting lines will not interfere with those wishing to park in the outer rows because these parking slots will be the first to be filled each morning because they will be near the beginning of the slug lines.
#61623; With the vehicle waiting lines off the street, this should end the practice of vehicular traffic parked in active lanes of traffic for the parking lot roadway as well as Telegraph Road.
#61623; Additionally, there should be no more interference with the buses and their bus lanes.
#61623; Drivers wishing to get in these vehicles lines would enter the respective parking lots at the entrances just to the west of the bus stops and follow the outer parking lot lane until they get in the appropriate waiting line.

ALTERNATIVE: Same as above, however switch the starting points of vehicle waiting lines to the parking lot entrances just to the west of the bus stops.
#61623; Drivers wishing to get in these vehicles lines would enter the respective parking lots at the east entrances and follow the outer parking lot lane until they get in the appropriate waiting line.
#61623; This alternative would put the slug pickup point at more centralized locations.

Posted By: 18thstreetcommuter
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2004 at 12:58pm
Excellent suggestion RUPSHUR ! I second your suggestion! Let's give it a try and see how it works.

I'm a visual learner and not clear on where the lines would then be formed.

So, if I'm turning right into the parking lot from Telegraph, does the 18th Street line form in the parking area at the first immediate right? And do the cars picking up people line up perpendicular to the parked cars in that parking lot (similar to how it is for the Pen/Ross/CC lines)?

And then does the 14th Street line form at the second right (very close to where the entire line is now)?

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 6:14am
Rupshur,
If I understand correctly, your suggestions sound like a great solution. I am suppose to speak with the Eastern District PWC Police Commander today and I will present the split to him.

My intent in meeting with the Police Department is to gain their support and assistance in whatever the slugs come up with. They're reasonable - they want to make this easier/better too.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 8:11am
Admin, Please also discuss the possibility of making all 4 lanes from Telegraph Rd. inbound to the lot in the morning. That would allow us to have 2 separate lines in the morning, both along the main roads, not in the parking areas, and with 2 lanes on each side there would be plently of room for cars/buses to get by.

Ron

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 9:40am
If they would like to meet with some of us after work or in the morning to work on this at Horner road please let me know. Being there at the lot to get a clear picture of what goes on would be best.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 9:55am
One good way to discuss any changes to the lines would be to have a map posted that has numbers at various places around the lot. That way everyone would be able to communicate on this.

Posted By: slugger94
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2004 at 3:15pm
For the past week, I could not figure out what was going on with the PTG/CC/Rosslyn lines as there has (all of a sudden) been a surge of vehicles picking up while the number of riders have remained the same, that is until I realized there has been such an unfortunate incident (Fri 12 Mar) in the west lot.

From my experience of splitting the PTG/CC/Rosslyn lines, I find that you will never be able to please everyone. I had been talking to folks I ride with (both driver and rider) for a whole year (off and on) about the lines prior to the split. Most have been unhappy about the wait but resigned to just going with the flow. Many are also very quick to give their two cents but not willing to offer a hand when asked to help. I realized no one was going to do anything about it unless I did.

Prior to the split, the line was often 40-50 deep, people yelling out the destination of the cars, people anticipating their turn, and the wait could be as short as 10 min or as long as 30 minutes. I was tired to consistently missing my connecting bus at the Pentagon, and being late to work. Standing out in the cold made the wait even worse.

I drew up a plan one day by surveying the parking lot to ensure safety (always #1), traffic flow, and sufficient space for the cars to line up. Then I distributed fliers with directions and map over the next three days. During that weekend, I build signs and put them out Sunday evening. The next morning it went into effect.

Sure, there was some confusion the first few days (to be expected) but it ironed out very quickly. Although some are quick to complain (immediately after the split as you can see on this bulletin board), everyone I have spoken to for the past month and a half have been happy about it. There is almost never a line of people anymore and if there is, the wait is no more than a few minutes.

Whatever you folks decide to do, I certainly hope the problem can be resolved quickly before the authorities have to be more involved. Worse case scenario, they could suspend the line until a solution is found. That will not be good as that will effect the downtown sluggers and driver, plus can greatly effect the PTG/CC/Rosslyn lines (we are already feeling some effect). In reading this bulletin board, I noticed this split idea for the 14th and 18th street has been going on for a while. Realize that we can sometimes plan ourselves to death. Too many census, suggestions, ideas, talks, e-mails, etc. can drag this out unnecessarily. Believe me, everyone wants their two cents heard but many will not be so excited to help. Keep it low key, come up with a good idea, get a small team together if you want, and just implement it.

Doesn't matter what you do, there will be people who will always complain. Way I see it, if everyone gets in a car safely and down the road with minimal wait time, then I am doing the right thing. Those who don't like it, they can always ride the bus, and leave the hundreds of us who are grateful we can slug efficiently alone.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 7:46am
Kind of a different approach ... How about suggesting that the old Lowe's or old Hechinger's (near the KFC on Dale Blvd.) parking lots be converted to commuter lots too?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 7:54am
The Hechingers was sold to Cowles ford and is suppose to be some huge multicar dealership soon.

Posted By: Juli
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 9:07am
Is there any chance you could devise a plan that could help the 14th st/18th st riders?

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 12:51pm
swichowski,

Not to get off topic, but how and when did you hear about this?

quote:
Originally posted by swichowski
[br]The Hechingers was sold to Cowles ford and is suppose to be some huge multicar dealership soon.

Posted By: 14thalltheway
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2004 at 1:51pm
I think the best solution for Horner Road would be for all the L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard people to stop coming to Horner Rd. They should find somewhere else to slug and leave Horner Road for just 14th and 18th street people.[^]

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2004 at 8:16am
tlschau
I saw it in the Potomac News a few months ago

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2004 at 10:26am
18thstreetcommuter,

Sorry I'm just getting a chance to respond to your 16 Mar memo.

For the 18th Street and State Dept bound slug line, it would start at the far east entrance of the north parking lot.
-- The "people" waiting line would be along the north sidewalk and extend westward toward the bus stop.
-- The "vehicle" waiting line would extend from this entrance and around the outer parking lot lane in the north-westward direction.
-- This puts all commuters headed to DC via the Memorial Bridge in the same line.

For the 14th Street, L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard bound slug line would start at the east entrance of the south parking lot.
-- The "people" waiting line would be along the south sidewalk and extend westward toward the bus stop.
-- The "vehicle" waiting line is to extend from this entrance around the outer parking lot lane in the south-westward direction.
-- This puts all commuters headed to DC via the 14th Street Bridge in the same line.

Other advantages of this arrangement are:
-- The "vehicle" waiting lines will not interfere with those wishing to park in the outer rows because these parking slots will be the first to be filled each morning because they will be near the beginning of the slug lines.
-- With the "vehicle" waiting lines off the street, this should end the practice of vehicular traffic parked in active lanes of traffic for the parking lot roadway as well as Telegraph Road.
-- Additionally, there should be no more interference with the buses and their bus lanes.
-- Drivers wishing to get in these "vehicles" lines would enter the respective parking lots at the entrances just to the west of the bus stops and follow the outer parking lot lane until they get in the appropriate waiting line.

If my word description is too difficult to visualize, I could attempt putting together a map, but can anyone provide me with an electronic map of the Horner Road Parking Lot? I can mark it up and try to post it for everyone's review.

Slugger94, do you have an electronic map of Horner Road Parking Lot?

Thanks.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 6:00am
The best solutions and suggestions come from slugs! VDOT contacted me yesterday and stated they liked Rupshur's idea. They even went so far as to say they might erect signs for slugs to help the situation.

Although VDOT can't make the meeting with PWC police this morning, they certainly want to help and are monitoring the comments on this message board.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 1:43pm
Rupshur, I don't have a map. I drew mine with PowerPoint.

I think you have a good idea, too. Maps will really help (don't forget to add a directional marker- North/E/S/W). If you want a sample of my map, I can e-mail it to you or you can pick one up at the bus stops at the east parking lot at Horner Rd. I think there are still some there.

It is nice that VDOT will be willing to erect signs. Signs with arrows will help significantly. Actually, the louder the sign (like bright pink) the better it is at catching the driver's attention.

Good luck!

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2004 at 9:30pm
slugger94, if you can email me your map, I'd appreciate it. My email is rupshur@aol.com

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 10:58am
I met with the PWC police department and traffic management on 24 Mar to present some of the suggestions by slugs for relieving the congestion in the new lot at Horner Road. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, and postings on the forum. I was very impressed with their willingness to help slugs and eagerness to accomodate the ideas from slugs. In other words, the slugging system works well because slugs generally solve slug problems.

Here are some of the options:
Powerpoint Version:
http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_options.mht

Acrobat version:
http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_options.pdf

PLEASE EITHER VOTE ON THE POLL OR LEAVE COMMENTS HERE!

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 1:18pm
What ever happened to the idea of reversing the 2 outbound lanes in the new section so that all 4 lanes off of Telegraph Rd are set for inbound in the mornings. This would solve many problems.

T::::::::::::::::::::::::Parking:::::::::::::::::::::::
e::::::::::::::::::::::::Parking:::::::::::::::::::::::
l------------------------------------------------------
e_[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]18th St Line here_____________Reverse these lanes__
g
r------------------------------------------------------
a:::::::::::::::::::::::::Island:::::::::::::::::::::::
p------------------------------------------------------
h_______________________________________________
-[:p][:p][:p][:p]14th St Line here
R------------------------------------------------------
d::::::::::::::::::::::::Parking:::::::::::::::::::::::
-::::::::::::::::::::::::Parking:::::::::::::::::::::::
-
Advantages--
-No backups in the parking areas blocking spaces
-No loss of parking spaces
-More capacity into the lot
Disadvantages--
-Can't think of one

Ron

Posted By: jhatton1980
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 2:10pm
Admin,

Thanks for doing the legwork and providing detailed info.

I heartily vote for Option 2a.

It solves the bus lane problem, the split line problem, and the backing up to Tele. Road problem.

I think this option most closely mimics what was doen in the Pentagon/CC/Roslyn line. Should be successful here too.

By the way, I think I saw you chatting with the cops on Weds. morning. You should have come over to the line and introduced your self. You would have gotten a small round of applause.

Jeff

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 2:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronsray
[br]What ever happened to the idea of reversing the 2 outbound lanes in the new section so that all 4 lanes off of Telegraph Rd are set for inbound in the mornings. This would solve many problems.
Disadvantages--
-Can't think of one

Ron

At least two disadvantages:
1. Increased potential exists for striking pedestrians attempting to cross from north to south lots (and vice versa), as drivers race each other for position when the four lanes peter out to two lanes and then to the single lane that enters the HOV ramp. Drivers rarely look for pedestrians as it stands now. Diverting their attention with an additional merge won't help that situation, especially in the dark.

2. Cars attempting to park in the east lots and finding no spots are greatly disadvantaged, in that they must drive out to PW Pkwy and circle all the way back around to Telegraph Road to try another lot.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 3:51pm
Great job, Admin! And thanks to all involved for providing us with so many options. After looking at what has been offered I would also have to say that 2a looks viable. I feel options 1 and 2 are not very good because they don't support the need to separate the destinations. With option #3, I think this is the least viable solution if the main lanes remain for inbound and outbound traffic. I could see the 18th St drivers possibly having a difficult time making that left turn onto the main road from the parking lot (unless it was inbound only on all four lanes as suggested by Ron above). We should try whatever option gets the most votes and if it doesn't work we can always go back and try something else. In any case, at least we have something to start the ball rolling. Again, your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 3:56pm
Admin,

Good job with posting these options.

While you posted these options, I was working on putting my options on a powerpoint document. I sent it to you earlier today. Can you add them to your list of options?

I'd like to pass on that options 1, 1a and 3 are not physically possible because there is concrete curbing obstrucing some of the vehicle routes.

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2004 at 5:02pm
Auh hello 14thalltheway, the line is for riders going to WASHINGTON DC
not just rider's going to 14th and 18th streets[xx(]

Mrs. B

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 5:55am
quote:
Originally posted by rupshur
[br]Admin,

I'd like to pass on that options 1, 1a and 3 are not physically possible because there is concrete curbing obstrucing some of the vehicle routes.

Rupshur,
You're correct. On drawings on #1 and #1a it should have depicted the next entrance way (corrections made). And Option #3 should exit at the end of the lot (corrections made).

Thanks for the email and powerpoint charts.

To all: Rupshur has a three variations worth considering. I call them R1, R2, and R3 (the R stands for Rupshur) so as not to confuse these with the other options already suggested.

I will have to create a completely separate survey poll for these options. To vote on these options go to:

View Rupshur options in Powerpoint: http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_rupshur.mht

View in Acrobat: http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_rupshur.pdf

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 8:46am
I vote for 2a. Not crazy about the car line going through the parking lot (I think this can create problems for those coming in and looking for spots), but we can try it and see how it works. We definitely need an option that allows for the 14th/18th line split.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2004 at 8:56am
All of Rupshur's plans look very good but I think I like R1 the best. The only question I have is when the 18th St folks exit back onto the main road do you think there will be any problem making that left given the fact you will have 14th St cars plus buses and other vehicles who come through for the Pentagon/CC/Roslyn? I only know how difficult it is to just move forward in the morning from the curb to merge into the flow of traffic when you are already on the correct side of the street.

Posted By: 14thDriver
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2004 at 10:23am
In reviewing the options, I kept in mind the two goals: (1) keep cars from backing up on Telegraph Rd, and (2) make the line work more efficiently. I’ll remove the suspense by stating that option 3 seems to offer the best trade-off. That is, the difficulties of 18th street cars turning left and in running the lines through the parking area seems a lesser evil than continuing the same types of bottlenecks that are happening today and which may not meet either goal. Here are my two cents on the options:

Since the best way to meet goal #2 (create efficiency) is to split the 14th and 18th street lines, Options 1 and 2 can be ruled out. In addition, Option #1 does not go far enough in relieving the back up on Telegraph Road.

With Options 1a and 2a, considering the length of the car lines, it is likely that there will be a bottleneck when 14th street cars are blocked from entering the staging area along the inside of the sidewalk by a backup of 18th street cars on the road. Not only will this cause frustration and inefficiency, but cars further back will probably start cutting the line by turning into the parking lot further back.

Thus, you are left with Option 3. Once again, while I acknowledge the difficulties of 18th street cars turning left and in running the lines through the parking area, this option seems to do the most to meet both goals.

All that said, if Option 2a is selected, please consider moving the place where 14th street cars turn into the lot back to the first right to limit the amount that 18th cars could cause a backup of 14th cars.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2004 at 12:28pm
I hope they announce what option is the best and the date it will start.

Posted By: enggasser
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2004 at 1:15pm
Boy, where have I been I've noticed the back-ups as both a driver and as a rider but until I came across this topic, I never had a clue that there were "discussions". Thanks to all who are taking the time to address this problem.

After reading all your materials, My vote would be a modified 2a plan. The enterance to the 14th street line should be moved back to the 1st right coming in from Telegraph. Otherwise, once the line for 18th street riders reaches 4 cars it could begin to block the entrance for the 14th street vehicle getting in line.

If volunteers are needed to distribute the proposed plans, I'll help.

Ed E.

Posted By: bocagrant
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2004 at 7:53am
Please forget any options that involve changing the 4 lanes from Telegraph to all 1-way in the morning. Who is going to direct traffic, PWC Police? The slug lines I've known for 9 years have had no government involvement (except DC Police disrupting the lines on D Street lately). Leave them out of it as much as possible and let's get this done ourselves. We're slugs, after all.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2004 at 6:51am
Oops, on the drawing 2 and 2A. Both should show using the first right as the entrance and NOT the second right. I'll correct the drawings...

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2004 at 8:52am
Thank you Admin.

Posted By: 13yearslugger
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2004 at 8:20pm
I usually get to Horner b/t 7:45 and 8:00 and I notice 2 problems. 1) people are turning the line around and cars are then afraid to pull up to the beginning of the line for fear that people who park at the back lot (as it's the only open lot at that time) won't walk all the way to the front of the line to get a ride -- and many times people don't. To resolve this, the line CANNOT be turned around and people HAVE to walk to the very first car in line (and if the car is not pulled all the way up, we can kindly ask them to pull up to allow other cars to get out of the road as we're walking by to find our ride). Also, it's not fair and a little rude when someone is walking down the line from the front and people walking up ask that person where the cars in the front are going and when told, turn around (in front of the person walking) and proceed to get in the front of the line walking down the line. People have to be more considerate and fairer in this process, otherwise it's not going to work and people will become irate -- not a good way to start a morning.

2) The current DC line should be split into (3) lines 14th, 18th and L'Enfant/Navy Yard. I don't agree with a previous poster to put the L'Enfant with 18th street b/c "most people go to 14th" -- that's simply not true and it doesn't make sense b/c that particular line goes over the 14th Street Bridge before it cuts over. And, if people can't get L'Enfant, they'll often opt for 14th and walk or take the metro over. This option would shorten each line and would allow people to efficiently get into the vehicle quicker (similar to the split of Pentagon, Crystal City and Rosslyn in the 1st lot, thereby making for shorter waits and lines for both sluggers and sluggees. In addition, the lines should be routed through the various south side 2nd level parking lots (with ample room b/t each if needed, like the 1st level (Pentagon, etc.) lot lines). They should all be staged relatively together coming out on three of the various entrances/exits for the south side lots. All we would need is signs so people would know where to go. It could all be done in relatively the same place it currently exists in, but with more efficiency and safety and egressing from the existing lots.

Posted By: 13yearslugger
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2004 at 8:43pm
Sorry, I should have read all the way down 1st, as I have a couple of problems with the solutions offered (R1, 2 3 and 2A, etc.) But, first, thank you Admin. for your hard work and I appreciate someone taking the ball on this. Certainly, if we can't come up with a solution, we probably won't like what the county or state decides for us.

I don't think lines should be staged on the North side of the lot. You're only asking for trouble with cross-over on egress, and I don't think it's necessary. We should just use each lot on the south side going up East from Telegraph Rd and have each enter at the first entrace to each lot and come around as depicted in the R1, 2 and 3 slides to come out at the other entrance/exit for that lot. I don't agree that there are more 14th street cars, b/c that hasn't been the case my entire time of slugging and not the case when I get there in the morning. It can equally flip/flop either way on any given day. But if you really think 14th has the most cars (with the other two separated out) then give them the lot with the largest berth or the first lot from Telegraph, so the overflow can go into lot road where cars are currently staging now. Then 18th would take the next, and L'Enfant, etc. the next. I think you'll see a drastic decrease just with the separation (as happened with the Pentagon/Crystal City and Rosslyn line after they were separated). Or seprate them out, stage them on the south south side starting with 14th, 18th, etc. and then plan on re-evaluating it in a month. This may be a several step process to be able to accurately gauge the impact at all times in the morning.

Posted By: lberres
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 11:01am
I think that the lines should be separated. Make 4 different lines for the different destinations at different areas in the lot. That was the cars will not back up onto Telegraph Road.

Posted By: ckenyattas
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 11:34am
I think Prince William County police do not want to break up the Slug Line. They like our slug line. But I think we as sluggers and drivers have been taking the law for granted.

· First, lets start with people cutting each other in the slug line. One day, I saw a man pushed a woman out of the way so he can get into a car. The women he pushed fell into the icy street. The man never said excuse me or I am sorry. Her husband was furious when he watched his wife being pushed. That man just didn't care. The next day he was at the slug line and act like nothing happened. I guess he didn’t care.

· Second, during the afternoon rush hour people were drove too fast when they drove through the Horner Road parking lot. There should be a speed limit sign. (15 to 25 miles per hour) There have been a couple accidents when people are rushing getting to Horner Road or leaving the parking lot. I am so afraid that one day a car will hit a pedestrian. But right now no fatalities.

· Third, common sense will tell you that you just can't park just anywhere at the parking lot when the lot is full. I have watch people park their car on top of curbs, and blocking other cars. What if there was medical emergency and the ambulance or fire trucks can't get to the scene because someone's car is blocking. Of course that person's car will be ticket and toll. As we know that Horner Road Parking Lot is easy assess to the HOV. Horner Road Parking Lot will get full after 08:15am. So we must be advise that if the parking lot is full, find another parking lot such as Overflow (Prince William Square-across the street from Potomac Mills) Potomac Mills or at the Old Bridge Road.

· Fourth, I think it is silly to drop people off in front of the bus. I feel that if you drop someone off and the bus is coming behind you go into the parking lot and then drop your passenger off. That prevents accidents and getting a ticket from Prince William County Police.

· Fifth Almost every year, especially during the summer, Horner Road parking lot always have the most car theft or stolen items in peoples cars. Please double check your car make sure all your items are put up. Do not leave any money, jewelry or any attractive items in the car. Take your old car instead of your $52,000.00 BMW. I believe Potomac Mills is the safest place to park your car because of the security. I think we should suggest to Prince William County Police to have a security camera at Horner Road. By having a security camera, it will protect drivers, passengers and their cars from dangerous situations and theft.

I feel that we as an adult and government workers must conduct ourselves by using common sense and take precautions. We need to keep the slug line moving smoothly with out complications. Thank you and have a nice safe day.[8D][:)]
ckenyattas

CHRISTOPHER K. SESE-KHALID, Sr.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 11:50am
If the line is too long for cars then we should use the the Overflow parking lot Which is across the street from Potomac Mills. There is plenty of parking space and enough space to pick up passengers. The overflow and Potomac Mills is the second easy access to the HOV. I feel we are using too much energy concentrating on to Horner Road.
quote:
Originally posted by lberres
[br]I think that the lines should be separated. Make 4 different lines for the different destinations at different areas in the lot. That was the cars will not back up onto Telegraph Road.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 11:53am
I think they will do renevation of the old Lowes this summer.
quote:
Originally posted by KaTaNa
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by 18thstreetcommuter
[br]Kind of a different approach ... How about suggesting that the old Lowe's or old Hechinger's (near the KFC on Dale Blvd.) parking lots be converted to commuter lots too?

Why use the old Lowe's lot when Potomac has empty spaces?!?!?!

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 12:02pm
You have drivers just thinking about themselves instead of considering others. Look if the parking lot is too full go to Prince William Square (The Overflow) and continue to pick up passengers there. That is the second easy access to the HOV lane. Second you sluggers must form a line instead of jumping to cars to car looking for what ever street they need to go. I so sorry that you burn a lot of gas.
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.KLB
[br]Yes I was there this morning that was crazy, I ended up going around the parking lot and U-turning and went to Potomac to pickup,It look like another line of cars had formed and there was no end that was in itself a very dangerous situation,there were a few cars that almost had a fender bender. The problem for the last week with traffic over flow onto Telegraph was the line being turned around, the person's that think turning the line around does not think about the fact that when you turn the line around that causes a back up of cars waiting to pick up, only one car at a time can pull up to pickup, with the line in the regular direction at least 4 cars can pullup,pickup and move out. And with gas prices rising by the second I really do not appreciate sitting there longer then normal burning gas like it's FREE![:(!]

Mrs. B

Posted By: lberres
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 12:20pm
This is my opinion:

If they cannot separate the lines into 4 separate lines then they should at least separate the 14th Street and the 18th Street riders. Those going to the Navy Yard and L'Enfant Plaza can hook up with those going to 14th Street.

This would ease up the cars backing up onto Telegraph Road.

Also, to stop those people from jumping from the back of the line into the cars, turn the line around so that the first person that the car comes to when it pulls up is the front of the line.

I've been in the back of the line before. A car pulls up and the driver says "14th or 18th & whatever". The people in the back of the line yell to the front where the car is going. It is unfortunate but you cannot hear from the front of the line. That's when the yelling back and forth starts. The people in the front are yelling let the cars pull up, the people in the back and yelling where the car is going and if no one in the front moves from the line, they get in. So, turn the line around and leave it turned around.

It's aggrevating but most of the time I'm early enough that I don't really care, I just hang back and wait. The last thing I need is to be punched by another slugger. So I just mind my own business and get into a car when it arrives.

I am all for walking the line if you are in the front and all the cars are going to another location. But that creates chaos as well, people freak out, don't think you were in the front of the line, etc.

So, what do you do?

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 3:53pm
The answer will come up shortly...

Posted By: JimH
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 10:46am
quote:
Originally posted by 14thalltheway
[br]I think the best solution for Horner Road would be for all the L’Enfant Plaza, and Navy Yard people to stop coming to Horner Rd. They should find somewhere else to slug and leave Horner Road for just 14th and 18th street people.[^]

I sure hope you were just kidding.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 10:56am
Question: Who brought up the idea of splitting Navy Yard with 18th ST?

Problem: If a L'Enfant car shows up, I can easily ride to the metro and take the Green line to Navy Yard. By moving NY with 18th across the street, there is no way I can take an alternate ride.

Having said this, 14th, L'Enfant and Navy Yard should be grouped together.

Next: Regardless of whatever the final outcome of line splitting and moving, will VDOT provide signs?

Jim

Posted By: jhatton1980
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 12:50pm
Admin,

It looks like 2a and then 3 are the top two choices.

What are the next steps?

Did you discuss a timeline when you met with officials?

Thanks,
Jeff

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 3:57pm
I'd like to personally thank the person(s) who took the initiative and time to create the diagrams and for meeting with the "powers that be" so as to develop workable, intelligent solutions for an issue that everyone has griped about at some point.

However, I find it interesting that only approx 140 people have registered their vote in the on-line poll. I'm sure there are far more people who slug each morning. I'm in line for approx. 5-10 mins. each day and there are usually 25+ people in line between 6:50-7:10 a.m.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 5:57pm
They probably don't know about the website.

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2004 at 8:16pm
I took the OmniRide bus home tonight and there were flyers on each seat discussing the options, etc. PRTC also expressed its view that Option 3 is their preferred option. Hopefully this will get the word out too.

Posted By: Gold89
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 8:34am
I go away for a few months and come back to find someone trying to split my line again. First a couple of suits kick DC out of the old Horner lot, now people are trying to chop up the DC line.

Am I the only person who does not want to SPLIT the line BUT is willing to just RELOCATE the line?

What time does this "problem" occur? There is never more more 4-5 cars in line when I slug. Most of the time there is only 1 or 2.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 9:36am
Sorry, I think the line needs to be split. Not only is the car line too long (and I've seen it overflow onto Telegraph at 7am and at 8am), but the slug line itself is often too long. Merely relocating the line, in my opinion, is not going to alleviate the chaos that breaks out too often at Horner.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 10:03am
I don't mind splitting the line, but I do NOT want to see Navy Yard split from L'Enfant.

BTW, on Option 3, where do the people stand? In the parking lot? There is no "sidewalk" or edge.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 10:35am
We know there is no sidewalk. However, the folks from the Pentagon and Cristal City are dealing with the same problem since they split their lines as well. Apparently, they don't care about that. I don't know if this is a serious issue we have to fix, though.

Posted By: ruynard
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 1:21pm
I am for keeping the L'Enfant and Navy Yard lines together. Do we need to call VDOT or PRTC to voice this opinion?

Or, is some one providing either organization this message chain?

Let's get this fixed Navy Yard L'Enfant riders! See you on the HOV either way.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2004 at 3:46pm
Issues with the Options provided.

OPTION 1.
This will not resolve the problem of the car staging area. At most the distance between the current location and the new pickup area will hold an extra 6 - 7 cars. The time it talks for driver/rider matchup will not be fast enough to resolve the congestion on the main road.

Currently, the proposed pickup location are marked parking stalls. If the parking stalls are turned into lanes, drivers will be picking up on the wrong side of the road. May be a safety concern as traffic can then come in from the proposed exit. If they aren't then this is not an option.

OPTION 1a.
This option can still cause congestion on the main road.

Navy drivers will not be able to pick up L'Enfant riders if there are no Navy riders. This can cause a backup. Navy riders also cannot ride with L'Enfant drivers to connect to the Metro.

Drivers picking up on the wrong side of the road is a safety concern if the current parking stalls are removed. If they aren't then this is not an option.

OPTION 2
Pickup and driver matchup will be not change, can even potentially be longer as there is no cutting in or cheating (I am not promoting this behavior but it does help speed up the movement of the current line).

Drivers will have to pick up riders on the wrong side of the road where traffic enters the parking lot. Serious safety concern.

Riders cannot line up on the east side as there is another through lane (east-west) which services the parking to the east of that proposed exit lane.

OPTION 2a
Same concerns as OPTION 2 plus problems for the Navy riders.

OPTION 3.
Again, Navy and L'Enfant lines should be kept together for the above reasons.

The proposed exit for both the north and south lots are actually adjacent to each other. With the heavy flow of vehicles coming out of the south lot, drivers coming from Telegraph Rd. going to East Horner Lot to park will be driving on the left lane making it even more difficult for drivers to exit the north lot and making that left turn. Also, in the north lot, the short distance between the rider line and the curb, plus drivers waiting for the opportunity to make that left turn can potentially slow this line down significantly.

Again, drivers in the south lot picking up on the wrong side of the road.

OPTION R1.
South side. Drivers picking up on the wrong side. Serious safety concern.

Other concerns include that of drivers coming out of the north lot. See concerns in OPTION 3.

OPTION R2.
South parking no concern.

North parking exit is adjacent to south parking. See concern in OPTION 3 about adjacent exits and making that left turn by drivers coming out the north parking.

OPTION R3.
North parking - Even greater concern for drivers coming out of the North Parking to make that left turn. Now we have to add the slug traffic coming out of the south parking. Potential for accidents.

Hate to be the one to point out the negatives but better to do it now than learning it the hard way.

Posted By: Gold89
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 7:12am
From Slug-Lines home page
Horner Road Lines Split - The 21st of April has been set for the dividing of the slug lines in the Horner Road commuter lot. Option 2A appears to have the most support but a new option was recently submitted. Please leave feedback on the message board so we (you really) can make the final decision on which option is best!

Has anyone seen this "new" option? I could not find anything.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 8:29am
I couldn't find this new option they're talking about either.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 12:50pm
Has the new option been found yet??

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2004 at 3:33pm
The options are at http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/Horner_Options.pdf

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2004 at 4:33pm
Sorry Arbo, but those are the "old" options. The statement above reads "...a new option was recently submitted". Where is that new option?

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2004 at 11:41am
Arbo,

We are asking about the "new option" they mentioned. Where is it?

Posted By: jalvarez
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 9:26am
I'm a rider who slugs from Horner Rd. I just received the notification of impending changes for the pick-up points. I would like to say that the proposed split would and hopefully alleviate the congestion on Telegraph Rd. The only problem I see is that the split which VDOT has proposed is not conducive to the people who slug. As a WNY rider I also use the L’Enfant drivers, where I then Metro to the WNY. I believe many riders also share my opinion here. (14th rider don’t slug to L’Enfant Plaza). The split should be 14th/18th and WNY/ L’Enfant. I myself have never seen any flyers or indications where VDOT has indicated these proposed changes. While it may be a good thing for VDOT to direct the slug pick-up points, but how they are divided makes no sense to the commuters. WNY commuters who slug to L’Enfant also contribute to Metro rider ship, the proposed split will eliminate these group of Metro commuters. Let’s rethink the proposed split, it will save everyone a headache, everyone will be alot happier and commuting will continue without a glitch.

Horner Commuter

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 12:05pm
Actually, I know of several people who will slug to L'Enfant if they can't get a ride to 14th (they work around 10th and Penn). IMO, I don't think they should put 14th and 18th street lines together. I think that defeats the purpose of keeping the lines short.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 3:44pm
I have submitted a proposal to Admin on April 07. To date, it has not been posted to this site except that "a new option" is mentioned in the home page. I have made several other attempts to contact the Admin but have not received any responses. Since we are running out of time till the split, I went ahead and posted this out on the internet so you may take a look.

As for the suggestion that Option 2 is the most popular, I would like to mention that unless traffic is no longer permitted to enter via the east entrance on the south side parking, this can be a dangerous place for the 14th/L'F line. Also, this Option is a problem for the Navy/L'F riders/drivers (especially the Navy).

The following considerations were made in this new proposal:
1. The Navy/L'F line is placed in the shortest lane as there is
less Navy/L'F traffic relative to 14th and 18th. This lane can hold up to 8 cars at any given time. Navy drivers can also pick up L'F riders if there are no Navy riders. L'F riders can also opt for the 14th line quite easily.

2. 14th St. line is placed in the next lane. This line has high
"moving" traffic. This lane can hold up to 9 cars at any given
time. L'F riders can crossover easily if needed.

3. 18th St. line is placed in the longest lane. Although driver
traffic is high in this line, rider traffic seems to be less predictable.
A slight delay can be expected in the driver line. The lane itself
can hold up to 10 cars at any given time but up to 14 cars can be
in line without impacting the other two lines. See map.

4. For extra safety precaution, drivers should exit the parking
lot as indicated on the map. The Parking Stalls for the Disabled should
not be blocked as these lots do not get filled up as early as the others.

Pros:
1. There will be no slug traffic on the main road.
2. The lines are quite divided and this allows for faster driver/rider matchup.
3. Riders can easily opt for the bus.
4. There will be no more cutting in line (drivers/riders). Riders
are encouraged to actively seek their ride instead of waiting for
"front door service." Those in front of the line should not fault
others if they refuse to walk down the line of cars to ask.
5. No more calling out car destinations and no more "Where is that car going?"
6. Up to 27 cars can be in line without effecting traffic.
7. Up to 6 cars can load up at a time.
8. Slug lines are located where the stalls are filled up early in the morning.

Cons:
Drivers have to circle around the parking lot but this will take
less time than the waiting in the current line or even Option 2.

Overall:
Shorter commute time.

http://www.geocities.com/sluggerninetyfour/horner-west.jpg

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 3:50pm
Delete the http:// for the link to work.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 7:33pm
Slugger94,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your emails. I've been out of town since last Thursday (last date I updated the website) and have not be able to access my email or the website. Actually, I'm in Texas now (just flew in from Kansas this morning) and will fly back to DC in the morning.

I did mention to PWC via an email today that the 2A might have a few more separate lines which is similiar to one of your options.

I'll update the website as soon as possible.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2004 at 10:50pm
Thank you Admin. Excellent work!

Posted By: tmuk
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2004 at 1:45pm
Under no circumstances should the Navy Yard and L'Enfant lines be separated. A lot of people have already said this, but I just wanted to chime in with the chorous.

Before the Pentagon line split, signs had been up for over a week announcing the upcoming split so that most people were be prepared for it. I think we are inviting a lot more chaos and confusion than is necessary if a similar warning period is not initiated for the DC line reconfiguration. I just heard about the voting when I slugged in this morning. If the change really is attempted next Wednesday without any type of advance warning or announcements other than this forum, I'll probably just go to Potomac Mills for a week or so until the confusion is sorted out.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2004 at 8:02am
Tmuk,
I agree with you on keeping Navy Yard and L'Enfant together. I think everybody is in favor of keeping them together.

VDOT has already erected two electronic signs at Horner to notify drivers and slugs of the split. These are huge signs (10'x10') on either side of the road so hopefully this will get everyone's attention. I believe the PWC police may assist in directing traffic.

Also, I intend to send out an email to the 2000+ slugs who are on the mailing list.

Of course, I know that a lot of people will be taken by surprise because they do not visit the website. Hopefully this will be an easy transition.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2004 at 9:29am
Horner Road Lines Split! - Effective Wednesday, April 21st, the slug lines in the new section of the Horner Road commuter lot will split into two (2) separate lines. There were a number of great suggestions but Option 2A seem to have the most support as long as the Navy Yard and L'Enfant lines were kept together. Below is a flyer/map of how the slug lines will be split. Please reproduce and distribute as much as possible!

Please print and distribute:
Powerpoint Version:
http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_options_final.ppt

Acrobat version:
http://www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/horner_options_final.pdf

VDOT has helped by placing electronic signs at the lot to help notify drivers and direct traffic!

Over 3700 people viewed the suggestions and some 100 replies were made on the MESSAGE BOARD (click to view). Sincere thanks to everyone who made suggestions. Many slugs/drivers had some great ideas. I really tried to get everyone's suggestions posted on the website.

Posted By: bocagrant
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 11:19am
First, to Admin: Thanks for all the hard work!
I'm sure some bumps were anticipated for the first day, and there were a few. 14th, L'Enfant, WNY drivers please circle Aaaaaaallll the way to the farthest SE lane to pick up. Just driving to the next-to-last lane and heading straight for the stop sign may work in the very early morning, but gets too jammed up with just a few cars. Going to the last lane will keep that other lane open for what it is intended: 2-way traffic. Poor Jan Fox (from channel 9) was almost run over trying to cross this morning!

Slug safely!

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2004 at 12:54pm
Channel 9 news had a reporter at the Horner line this morning and they have a nice video on their website. Reporter Jan Fox described what was happening and interviewed several slugs

Bob

http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=28661

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 6:31am
Bob,
Thanks for the link. I saw the camera crew at the lot and even spoke to Jan on camera (guess I ended up on the cutting room floor). She did a nice job. It was a little confusing with the change but that can be expected. She really went out of her way directing slugs and drivers to the right spots!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 6:33am
I have started a new thread regarding Horner Road and the impact to the changes.

Please go to Morning Slug lines under the topic " How is the Horner Road Split Working?"
or
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1222

Thanks.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 8:47am
Admin,

I did actually see your interview on Channel 9 news last night! (10 seconds) It was great, and I was yelling to my family to come downstairs and see the story. So you weren't on the cutting room floor! You know, it is great to get this kind of coverage because it establishes us as a "force to be reckoned with" when people are deciding on things that affect us.

Bob

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 10:13am
Great posts to all responsible for this change. I have followed this from the onset and without the collective contributions, this definitely would not have gone as smoothly. As Bob says, "we're a force to be reckoned with". Kudos to you all!

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2004 at 1:58pm
Thanks for the info. I didn't see the story on TV but I did visit the website which must have a shorter version.

Here is the link to the Washington Post article that came out today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32435-2004Apr21.html

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net