Print Page | Close Window

Left-lane drivers

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=976
Printed Date: 18 May 2024 at 10:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Left-lane drivers
Posted By: Luvmyhybrid
Subject: Left-lane drivers
Date Posted: 18 May 2004 at 8:39pm
Don't the same rules apply to HOV's like any other freeway? The left lane is for passing....if you're not passing, then pllleeeezze, move to the right. Why is it that MOST drivers in the HOV drive in the left lane? Frustrating!!

Replies:
Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 6:53am
Amen to that Hybrid. Since moving to VA in the past two years, I've noticed a LOT of drivers wil get in the "FAST" lane and stay there doing just under the speed limit. [:(!] Talk about frustrating. Then as you come up on them and flash your lights to pass, they just ignore you. I must re-read the VA manual to ensure I'm not doing something wrong. [8]

Posted By: dixeedog
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 7:48am
Hybrids shouldn't be in either lane of the HOV.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 8:22am
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Amen to that Hybrid. Since moving to VA in the past two years, I've noticed a LOT of drivers wil get in the "FAST" lane and stay there doing just under the speed limit. [:(!] Talk about frustrating. Then as you come up on them and flash your lights to pass, they just ignore you. I must re-read the VA manual to ensure I'm not doing something wrong. [8]

Sorry VA, but I think you ARE doing something wrong. When I moved here from CT about 6 years ago I also experienced the frustration of all these slowpokes parked in the left lane. In CT the left lane is for passing only and drivers who park out there and are not passing are subject to getting a ticket - we also have a no passing on the right law. Not so, apparently, in VA. From what I gather the left lane is just another travel lane - it's not a fast lane or a passing lane. The trade off is that you can pass on the right here. If you flash your lights most people consider it rude.

I'm a firm believe in "When in Nome do as the Nomans do" so I put a sticker with my favorite NASCAR driver's number in my back window and I weave in and out passing cars right and left. If anybody flashes their lights or beeps their horn I flip them the bird and roar off. I haven't really learned yet how to guage my speed to make it difficult for other drivers to merge in to "my" lane but I'm working on it and I have made real progress in internalizing the basic need to be "in front" of other drivers. [:o)]

Mike

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 8:40am
I must agree with every post in this thread so far. The left lane is strictly for passing; however, I believe some drivers think the left lane is for "poking" along. Maybe they think they're in Britian.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 8:54am
The left lane on I-95 is the "fast lane". I've seen signs along I-95.

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 9:26am
This has to be one of the most frustrating things on 95 that I encounter. Hopefully one day people will wake up and move over. And by the way Dixie, get over it. Hybrids are allowed until the law is changed and it appears that out political representatives are not going to do that any time soon.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 10:13am
Most slugs are FOR hybrids in the HOV-3 I-95/I-395 lanes during rush hours -- as long as there is a driver with 2 slugs in each of those hybrids! Lots of good arguments have been posted on this site about why it just doesn't make sense that hybrids should be HOV-exempt. [;)]

Posted By: slugguru
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 10:26am
I think both lanes in HOV should be fast lanes....... vroom.........no poking aloud!.........

Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 11:35am
I agree. Its really bugs me about people just sitting in that lane and then they think its cool to sit NEXT to someone so you can go either way. I have been in cars where the driver does this and I just want to slap them. Normally its a soccer mom in a van chit chatting to her friend. When I went down to FL down I95 in every state people would follow these rules, but as soon as you hit VA. Forget it.

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 12:15pm
I agree that as a rule the left lane is for passing, but once you get inside the beltway on I395 it becomes a little tricky - more so in the afternoon when you have left exits.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 12:50pm
quote:
Sorry VA, but I think you ARE doing something wrong. When I moved here from CT about 6 years ago I also experienced the frustration of all these slowpokes parked in the left lane. In CT the left lane is for passing only and drivers who park out there and are not passing are subject to getting a ticket - we also have a no passing on the right law. Not so, apparently, in VA. From what I gather the left lane is just another travel lane - it's not a fast lane or a passing lane. The trade off is that you can pass on the right here. If you flash your lights most people consider it rude.

The law in Virginia is that a slower driver must move over and give way to a faster driver upon a visual or audible signal, and it doesn't matter that the faster driver may be exceeding the speed limit. Unfortunately a lot of people won't move. I wish we had the enforced "left lane for passing only" and "no passing on the right." Funny thing is, when I drive in other states or provinces, if someone is blocking the left lane, 95% of the time the car has a Virginia tag.

I don't think flashing the lights is rude, given that a lot of people seem to think that tailgating is the appropriate alternative!!!!

There are a lot of people out there who don't seem to know that the speed limit in the express lanes was raised to 65 mph a few years back.

Finally, the hybrid issue is irrelevant to this one. Doesn't matter what kind of car you're driving--get out of the way when someone is going faster, even if it means slowing down briefly! One of my biggest pet peeves is the "cruise control pass"--someone going 65 pulls out to pass a truck that's going 63, and meanwhile both lanes back up. (Not that you can use your cruise control too often on I-395, of course.....)

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 2:18pm
Mycroftt, I didn't think I had it worng. Just wanted to make sure before I spoke again. [;)] Regarding "flipping someone the bird", that could start another thread in-and-of-itself. [:0] Why not just pass them, or let them pass you, and just [:D] at each other in the process. Who knows, it might just make you both feel better in the end. [:)]

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 2:46pm
Left lane speeds are open for interpretation. Does someone cruising above the speed of the right hand lane (let's just say 70-75 mph) have to move over just because some fool decides he or she deserves the right to go faster? No.

Speeds are high and that's when accidents happen. Also all exits are left hand.... Buses hang up a lane faster than anything.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 3:05pm
Unfortunately, I actually do see a possible, rational, even, explaination of why the left lane is so crowded on the HOV. At least I know why I hang out there. Most (not all, but most) of the traffic enters these lanes from the right. My personal driving habits follow the "inertia" mindset. Once I get goin', I don't wanna be slowed down by someone entering the HOV lanes going at a slower speed than I am (whatever that is). I just want to keep going the way I was. The smoothest way to do so is stay out of the way of incoming traffic. Don't worry, I always "go with the flow" and travel at whatever the popular speed is in the left lane at that time. Even for the couple of entrances that are on the left, I move to the right, because, like I said, "once in motion..."

My only exceptions are if I'm the lone travel (big space in front of and behind me), I'll slide on over if someone wants to pass me. These situations are fairly obvious, as I can see them coming up on me from quite a distance a way. Maybe most people just want to stay out of the way of entering traffic.

Personally, I don't get too bent out of shape if someone is moving "slower" in the left lane, I'll just pass them on the right if I can (chide me if you want). They are just travel lanes to me. I think that as long as I'm not driving like a jerk and cutting people off or making my passengers motion sick, I'm doing OK. I'm just thankful to be on the lanes in the first place.

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 3:21pm
Gotta agree -- no need to get frustrated because with this traffic, you'll only go as fast as the person in front of you!

Take a deep breath, and think "Is my life worth losing for a little more speed?"

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 3:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]Left lane speeds are open for interpretation. Does someone cruising above the speed of the right hand lane (let's just say 70-75 mph) have to move over just because some fool decides he or she deserves the right to go faster? No.
Under Virginia law, the answer is "yes."

Even if it weren't the law, it's the polite thing to do.

Posted By: jerryclapham
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 8:44am
I agree with most of what is being said in this thread. Left lanes should be for passing only. If not by law then by common curtesy. The problem is that a lot of the exits (especially southbound) are on the left side. The biggest problems here are the Metro buses exiting at Gleebe Rd and Seminary Rd. These buses can't even get up to the speed limit and here they sit in the left lane or even worst side by side doing 40mph. The other problem is the enterance south of Duke St that is open to non-hov traffic. these people must get all the way over to the left to exit in Springfield. Something we will have to live with until they finish the mixing bowl.

Jerry

Posted By: cedarcitynative
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 10:04am
I agree, the other night i was zipping down the HOV lanes, after hours, and a car was poking along in the left lane at 45 MPH and mirroring the speed of the car in the right lane. Each time i flashed my lights for him to move over, the car slowed. Not wanting to be in a rage, i honked my horn to send the message to MOVE OVER! So what does the left-lane lulu do, slams on his brakes, TWICE -- what a dangerous idiot! He had temporary tags and i couldn't read the numbers. Otherwise i would have called the cops on the left-lane fool.

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 10:48am
ccnative,
Thanks for clarifying the timeframe as after hours. My normal frame of reference for the HOV lanes is rush hour, when it's bumper-to-bumper in both lanes. Occasionally when I've driven, some jerk has found a hole in traffic, dived in, then flashed lights at me...like I have somewhere to go and OBTW, I'M trying to pass, too. Freaks like that shouldn't be given driver's licenses.

Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:27pm
I've been in the same situation as you Cedarcitynative several times. I don't get it. You cannot stay in the left lane mirroring the car in the right lane if you see a faster car behind you. Common sense and courtesy dictates you should move over to let the faster car pass you.
Some people still don't get it.

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:30pm
I'm pretty good about getting over. But the thing is: I'll get over when there's room. Tailgating me will do you no good if there's not room for me to (safely) switch lanes. Patience from EVERYBODY is required.

Eric

Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:38pm
not so much a matter of my having patience as their having common sense. it's 9pm, the highway is wide-open, you're driving well under the posted speed limit, and yet you still want to "ride" the left lane. Speed up to 55mph and MOVE OVER -- no harm done.

Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 12:53pm
Exactly, I totally agree.

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 1:07pm
oh, agreed as well. I should have been more specific: when I'm traveling along at 65 or 70 and someone comes up behind me, flashing lights and/or tailgating I'll get over when I can - and I will not speed up to 75 or 80. I'm not one of those 55 MPH drivers who won't get over.

Eric

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 2:38pm
Part of the problem is the left lane exits and right lane merge (headed south) draws drivers into the left lane. Speed is not the only issue, the left lane is for passing or exiting left. If you are not passing or exiting, please get over into the right lane.

Another part of the problem is the left lane cruisers (not passing or exiting). They should be ticketed!

The final part of the problem is reckless and agressive drivers who think that they have the right to drive any way they please. I'll get out of the way if I see them coming up behind me even if I'm passing or exiting (at 75mph). Problem is at high speeds they come up fast. Sorry, but 80, 90+ mph is dangerous in any lane to all drivers. Let's all be safe, smart drivers and not sorry!

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:13pm
The law states that the left lane is for passing only. If someone approaches you and wants to pass, you need to safely get over to the right and let them pass. It doesn't matter what speed they are traveling. Interesting food for thought is that in Germany on the Autoban??? they go much faster than we do and they have far fewer accidents. The reason for this is that the abide by the left lane is for passing law. You only get in that lane to pass, that is why we have so many accidents because people are having to switch lanes to go around left lane hogs. Not to mention the traffic congestion left lane hogs cause!!

Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:25pm
You're right slugbuddy. The super-highways in Germany don't have a speed limit. You can travel at any speed in the right lane. Whoever, you only use the left lane for passing only. Once you pass, you immediately have to move over the right lane or you'll get a ticket. They have fewer car accidents but when they have one, the scene is not pretty at all.

Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:32pm
Good replies, everyone. Bottom line, if you're not passing someone, then watch your mirrors, remember your manners, keep your temper in check and STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:46pm
You know, I believe some drivers just don't know the rules of driving. I've ridden with folks who drive the whole way in the left lane. You can tell people behind are fed up because when they eventually pass on the right, they will give "that look". I really think some lack real driving knowledge and rules of the road.

Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 3:54pm
You're right vabigblue. Some don't know the rules of driving and others don't care.

Posted By: Luvmyhybrid
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 8:33pm
Thanks for all the great comments - I was hoping to learn that most responsible HOV drivers AREN'T crowding the left lane, it's just those few that make it miserable for the rest of us. I've gained great driving skills since commuting to/from DC, and yes, weaving in and out of lanes to get in front of the pokers is one of those skills (and w/o risking of the lives of other drivers) [:p]

Posted By: Uhura
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 8:02am
quote:
Originally posted by Luvmyhybrid
[br]Don't the same rules apply to HOV's like any other freeway? The left lane is for passing....if you're not passing, then pllleeeezze, move to the right. Why is it that MOST drivers in the HOV drive in the left lane? Frustrating!!

Agreed-This practice is frustrating. I noticed this immediately when I started using the HOV last September. I suppose it's due to the fact that there are only two lanes and people want to avoid merging cars (most merging comes from that right lane.) Also buses and ultra slow drivers use the right lane as well...

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 8:07am
I was riding with a friend once who always made it a point to drive in the left lane, passing or not. I told him to move over because left was for passing. He response was that because he was left handed, it was his way of protesting against a "right handed" world.

Lame excuse I thought, but he didn't move over.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 9:39am
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]I was riding with a friend once who always made it a point to drive in the left lane, passing or not. I told him to move over because left was for passing. He response was that because he was left handed, it was his way of protesting against a "right handed" world.

Lame excuse I thought, but he didn't move over.

Oh puh-lease!! That IS lame!! And self-centered and self-serving at that!! Uggggggggh, and to think that THAT is the prevailing attitude out there. Maybe not the "left-handed" BS, but any one of a myriad of other stupid excuses. *Sigh* why can't we all be blessed with common sense, courtesy, and the ability to get along?

Posted By: Left Lane Dick
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 10:54am

You can find the left lane driving laws
by state here:

http://www.leftlanedicks.com/moretips.php?id=12 - - LeftLaneDicks.com

Posted By: Uhura
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by Left Lane Dick
[br]

by state here:

Thanks for posting that link.

Live Long and Prosper

Posted By: juansevo
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2006 at 11:56am
Didn't see state laws on that site, but here is a site that's been around forever that I know has the state laws on it:

DriveRightPassLeft.com

quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Left Lane Dick
[br]

by state here:

Thanks for posting that link.

Live Long and Prosper