Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoster call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roster call
    Posted: 10 May 2006 at 2:20pm
SO, who here has a hybrid, what is your gas mileage like, and do you resent your decision to go with electric over a conventional gas?

-Mike
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 12:57pm
I bought a Prius in Oct of 2005. I consistently get 47-49 mpg. Please keep in mind the car is rated at 51 mpg on the highway in ideal conditions. I travel above 75 mph for about 80 percent of my trip. I drive in from Dumfries. I have never given second thought to going back to a convential gasoline vehicle. I do not regret my decision to buy the Prius.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 1:59pm
no problems with it at all huh? I was worried how long the engine would last having to start/stop/start/stop/start at every stop. It is common knowledge that the #1 engine killer is start-up.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 2:14pm
Hybrid owners posting at this site didn't consider gas mileage much of a factor in their purchase decision. If they say so, they are either lying, or stupid. Gas mileage doesn't factor into the equation unless gasoline is something like $7 per gallon.
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 2:30pm
huh? my cavy gets 25mph (4 cylinder manual) and if a hybrid can pull 45-50mph (4 cylinder auto) how is that not more fuel efficient?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 6:59pm
OK, here's some figures based on assumptions:
Assumptions:
- hybrid gets 45 mpg
- comparable conventional vehicle gets 25 mpg
- annual mileage is 20,000

Facts:
- hybrid will take around 444 gal/year
- conventional vehicle takes 800 gal/year
- fuel difference is around 356 gal/year
- annual hybrid $ savings at $2/gal = $712
- annual hybrid $ savings at $3/gal = $1,068

You can play with the assumptions all you want. You can also look up the difference in price between a hybrid and a comparable conventional vehicle, and then subtract the estimated tax credit. If the price difference is $10K and you get a $2K rebate, then with gas at $3/gal it takes 8 years (160K miles) to break even. Not counting maintenance for either, including possible hybrid battery change out over that time.

Opinion: MDC is an idiot studying to be a moron. Mileage is one of MANY factors that could play into honorable and intelligent consumers. The environmental impact, of course, is also big from the far lower emissions (I never have to have an emissions test - unlike those who drive gas guzzlers), but mileage remains an added factor.

The assumptions above are also skewed in that some slugs never share driving duties, unlike formal car pools. I wonder how the slug-driver equilibrium will change when gas is $4 later this year?

Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2006 at 7:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]
Opinion: MDC is an idiot studying to be a moron. Mileage is one of MANY factors that could play into honorable and intelligent consumers. The environmental impact, of course, is also big from the far lower emissions (I never have to have an emissions test - unlike those who drive gas guzzlers), but mileage remains an added factor.

The assumptions above are also skewed in that some slugs never share driving duties, unlike formal car pools. I wonder how the slug-driver equilibrium will change when gas is $4 later this year?

Here are some much better assumptions that aren't biased to help the hybrids look better.
Assumptions:
- Civic hybrid gets 45 mpg
- comparable Civic(automatic) conventional vehicle gets 35 mpg (not 25MPG)
- annual mileage is 15,000 (20,000 is not average, according to EPA the real average is 11,700 per car, I95/395 HOV commuters probably average more so 15,000 is a good number)

Facts:
- hybrid will take around 333 gal/year
- conventional vehicle takes 428 gal/year
- fuel difference is around 95 gal/year
- annual hybrid $ savings at $2/gal = $190
- annual hybrid $ savings at $3/gal = $285

Even if you say the Conventional Civic gets 30 MPG you only save $500 in gas at $3/gal. Good luck in trying to make the purchase look financially sound. Considering a lot of the mileage for commuters would be highway miles and a regular civic or corolla gets 40MPG on the highway the comparison isn't looking all that great.

Calling MDC an idiot just shows your lack of understanding. Anyone that thinks they are going to get a payback on the extra they pay to get a hybrid through the better gas mileage is exactly what MDC said "lying, or stupid". Either they never took the time to do the math or they are too dumb to do the math correctly.

Granted, hybrids don't need to get emissions testing done but that isn't because they are all so "clean". It is because the state never came up with a testing program since there were so few of the hybrid cars on the road. The testing program for a conventional vehicle won't work correctly on a hybrid. I guess since large dump trucks don't get emissions testing they are really clean too!

NoSUV, as I told you before a new 2006 V8 Ford explorer is cleaner than your ?2002? Prius- first generation.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 7:28am
NoSUV,

I expected better of you. Your comments concerning MDC are way out of line and NOT the person I've come to know as NoSUV.

Take a look at the other thread I'm starting concerning ethanol. Quite telling.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
bigmike View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 8:57am
oddly, I have been checking my gas mileage since I started driving everyday. As you all know, it is a manual 4 cylinder 2800lb. car with me in it. Add my regular slugs and your looking at about 3100 being moved by 140hp. I have NOT run the a/c on my morning commute, and at 70-80mph my tach is around 2500. The best gas mileage I can pull has been this morning at 27. In my eyes, that SUCKS! My 95 corvette did that and it weighed the same with just me as the cavy does fully loaded!!!! and has DOUBLE the power!

I dunno, after reading the debate occuring on the hybrids.........I dunno. I want to save as much fuel as possible but still be able to enjoy the car. Any ideas?
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2006 at 2:18pm
2000 Toyota Avalon, 6 cylinder, carrying 4 of us (sorry, not as comprehensive in my numbers as BM), averaging 29 mpg.

Go figure. Wouldn't trade the comfort and SAFETY of the Avalon for a gas/elec vehicle, especially not on I95/395.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic