Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug Security

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewearr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug Security
    Posted: 21 Nov 2003 at 10:46pm
I'm new to the slug lines and interested in the safety aspect of the system. Is anyone aware of the possible dangers/threats associated w/slugging? Have the DPS or Prince William County officials done a study on the threats associated with the system. If anyone is aware of any historical data on security related issues or threats, please let me know where I can find the info.
Thanks
ewearr

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2003 at 9:14am
Ewearr,
I am not aware of a specific study with regards to slugging, however I would suggest contacting the police chief for the county you are interested in. During my research I did contact local county police officials and all had the same response: virtually no crime. I say "virtually" because there have been incidents where people have been robbed at commuter lots but this isn't a fault of slugging. There have been a few reports of pick pocket's where items are missing from a drivers car.

All in all, I think slugging is probably one of the safest forms of commuting you can find.

Hope this helps.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2003 at 8:52am
quote:
Originally posted by Admin
[br]
All in all, I think slugging is probably one of the safest forms of commuting you can find.

Whilst I feel relatively safe when slugging, I would not go so far as to say that it is one of the safest modes of commuting. The fact that we have not had a major incident does not reduce the risks and we should remain cautious and selective of our rides and riders. Complacency is the prey's most dangerous weakness and you better understand that there are those who consider us all to be prey.

Having said that, I underline the fact that I consider slugging to be safe enough for me to do everday. I know and accept the risks and I have not had one untolerable experience. Not only is it the most efficient way for me to get to work, it's the most cost effective. And, I do find it interesting to be in a different environment each time.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
SKCRAB View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2003 at 4:30pm
I doubt the police would perform such a study because it may be interpreted as a recommendation of "riding/driving with complete strangers" and open them up to potential liability (how, I don't know, but crafty legal minds will figure it out[:)]). I think the types of crime that our ADMIN has reported are accurate and relatively infrequent. Obviously, any crime is too much crime and a horrible experience for the victim.

I would say that slugging is suprisingly safe[:0], but, similar to MROYAL, I feel that you have to be aware that the potential for a crime of any nature could occur and be willing to accept that risk.

Past good fortune does not dictate future good fortune. Let the rider/driver beware and take precaution.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 8:30am
Being in the safety and security field, I must agree with the previous posts. As with anything nowadays, you must be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times. Slugging is no different to any other outside activity, in fact it may be a little better because in most cases, you have others around to lean on. Slugging is a great experience and I suggest you approach it that way. Other than the issues "Admin" alluded to, I don't see an upswing in crime with slugging. Enjoy!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic