Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugging from Reston to Foggy Bottom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugging from Reston to Foggy Bottom
    Posted: 25 Oct 2006 at 5:22pm
So earlier this year I moved out of the city and out to Reston but I'm still working in Foggy Bottom. And now my commute is wearing on me. The first few months I didn't mind, but now I'm beginning to tire of losing so much of my time with the Metro.

I've carpooled into and out of the city a couple of times and found the commute is about half the time. So I want to find out how I can do this more frequently.

I generally commute from the Reston East P&R and have only had 2 slug rides in the AM. And I have no idea of what lines run in the PM to get back to Reston.

I would just do an arranged carpool but my work hours are too irregular in the evening.

So what are my options? From what I can see, there doesn't seem to be much Reston <-> Downtown slugging.

Thanks,

-m
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 7:56am
Short answer is: "There ain't none." [xx(]

Sluggin' from west of DC just doesn't seem to take hold, despite numerous attempts to get it started. Non-separated HOV lanes on I-66 outside the beltway, and HOV-2 instead of HOV-3, are the usual reasons cited.

It might be best for you to find a dependable car pool in Reston.
merlin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2006 at 8:49am
If you can get to Herndon/Monroe Park-n-Ride, there is a greater chance of catching a ride into Rosslyn/DC.

Merlin
inspus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inspus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 11:13am
I have started commuting from Herndon-Monroe P&R to Foggy Bottom and would like a daily ride (either one-way or both.) I work near Georgetown. Kindly respond if you are an interested driver. Thanks.
m0di View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 11:20am
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Short answer is: "There ain't none." [xx(]

Sluggin' from west of DC just doesn't seem to take hold, despite numerous attempts to get it started. Non-separated HOV lanes on I-66 outside the beltway, and HOV-2 instead of HOV-3, are the usual reasons cited.

It might be best for you to find a dependable car pool in Reston.

Mind boggling that it doesn't happen. I lived in Reston from 2000 to 2003 and commuted to Bethesda. The drive was easy and the toll road was the least of my worries. Now just a couple of years later, the toll road is a congested wasteland of brake lights in the morning. Getting into the city looks neigh impossible without HOV.

Unfortunately, a formal carpool won't work for me. My work keeps me from leaving at a regular time. There's always a crisis of my boss's creation that keeps me late at least 2 or 3 days a week.

Maybe I'll try driving and picking up slugs. My guess is that there is a demand for rides, it just hasn't manifested in a slug line.

-m
merlin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2006 at 1:24pm
If you choose to drive, it's actually easy to get rides in the AM. It may be more of a challenge in the PM.

In the morning, go to the Herndon/Monroe P&R. Drive to the opposite side of the 950/980 bus pickup. Put up your destination sign and there will always be one/two people who are willing to get out of the bus line and ride in the car with you. I don't think I ever waited more than 5 minutes for a rider.

The challenge is in the afternoon. When I picked up riders my destination was Rosslyn and there was no PM pickup for the park & ride. So I would swing by the 5a bus stop (outside the Rosslyn metro) and once or twice I would get a rider there. Also, I would ask the people in the morning if they would be interested in a ride back in the PM (which sounds like it is not an option for you because of your changing hours.)

Merlin
m0di View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m0di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 9:44am
I test drove in this morning, sans rider, and it took about 45 minutes to get in.... which is still a 15-minute improvement in commute time. I think I'll get my car detailed this weekend and try again next week with a rider. I kinda feel bad about picking up slugs when my car is dirty.

My main goal in trying to drive in this morning is to test getting out of the city without a rider. I already know getting in on HOV is good from my experience riding.

-m
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2006 at 2:26pm
modi,

realize your sample size is small and probably not representative of a "typical" commuting day....check out other threads about today's commute being worst than most...esp in the afternoon/evening.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic