Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSOV countdown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 12:09pm
The only hate I have seen regarding hybrids is their exemption on the HOV. The only other thing tends to be the question as to them being cheaper or more expensive in the long run.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 2:04pm
right...cost above altruism. sounds like a response from a slug.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 3:36pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]raymond - payback depends on price of gas and mileage. At one time, I figured it to be at 75K miles based on $2.50/gal to break even, or roughly 4 years.

Recommend you compare the non-hybrid vs. the hybrid, assume a gas price (like $3/gal), use the EPA figures (which are wrong, but at least the data is consistently wrong) and figure your break even point on miles. You know about how much you drive per year, and you can estimate your break even.

I wish it wasn't about the money, but about people caring for what they are doing to the environment. I have to wonder about those who hate hybrids - are they the same ones who throw their cigerette butts out their windows?

I never said that I hate hybrids, nor do I hate those who drive hybrids. Hybrids are just another product, just another type of fossil fuel burning vehicle. I do think it is misleading for hybrid manufacturers to jump on the eco-bandwagon as a way to market their car. I think hybrid buyers have been mislead.

And I think its wrong for hybrid owners to get special treatment on public roads (I paid for them too); for nothing more than submitting to marketing hype that says they can buy their way into affirmative action in ecological issues. If you think you deserve special treatment for opening your wallet, then fine; you got it! But that doesn't make you an ecological activist. Now tell me you fill your seats each way on your commute, tell me that you use alternative and renewable fuel (ethanol, biodiesel, solar, hydro, etc.), tell me that you drive less and bike more, tell me that you recycle, tell me that you turn your thermostat down and your lights off. Then I'll believe your ecological intent. A $25,000. hybrid car doesn't cut it!
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 8:23am
Amen Raymond, Amen.
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 9:04am
I'm pasting this here from an online exchange I had last night with a TX hybrid driver.

There are about 360,000 hybrids on U.S. roads today. They've been available for around 6 years. I'm not a mathematician, but that's not a success story.

Let's start by comparing the gasoline costs of driving a $21,000 Civic Hybrid with a $16,500 Civic LX. The Civic Hybrid with a manual transmission gets something like 46 miles per gallon in the city and 51 mpg on the highway (we know these numbers are bogus anyway). The Civic LX gets 32 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway (see note above).

Let's say gas is $3.00 per gallon and you drive 15,000 miles every year.

Will you be able to rack up $4,500 in fuel cost savings with your Civic Hybrid? Not unless you plan on keeping the car forever.

After five years, you'd save $2k at the pump. After 10 years, you'd save $4k.

To drive 15,000 miles in a year with a Civic Hybrid, you'll need to pump in about 326 gallons of gas. Pay $3.00 a gallon and your yearly fuel costs will run about $1000.

To drive 15,000 miles in a year with a Civic LX, you'll need to pump in more than 469 gallons of gas. Pay $3.00 for each gallon and your yearly fuel costs will run about $ 1,400 just $400 more than the Civic Hybrid.

So let's say gas prices shoot up to $5 gallon. Yearly fuel expenses with a Civic LX will run about $2345 compared with $1630 for a Civic Hybrid. That's a savings of $715 a year. After five years of high fuel prices you'd save $3575. But you're still a grand away from recouping the extra $4,500 you paid for your car. So, I exaggerated and said you had to drive 100k at $5 gallon. I was trying to be dramatic. Still doesn't change the fact that hybrids are a joke on the rich. Even the government is taking back the tax break they had to offer for folks to buy them. Even with the tax break, the status symbolism, and the free ride on HOV, hybrids only account for a small fraction of cars sold in this country. Hybrids are an automotive footnote. Big 3,800 lb. diesels are here to stay. Respectfully submitted.
LDOMAJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LDOMAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 10:20pm
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]
quote:
[br]scottt - that would be political suicide, and contrary to Kaine's stated agenda. If he did not sign it, there is no way it wouldn't become law anyway because there are way too few votes to support a veto (like none).

However, I do agree that we need to find a way to get all SUVs out of the HOV lanes unless they are SULEV.

I'm thinking about buying a hybrid SUV. Not because I have any illusions about saving the environment or anything like that, nor to try to win any points with psuedo-eco hybrid drivers like NoSUV. But because I want to save some money on gas and the Ford Escape hybrids I'm looking at gets better gas milage than the non-hybrid equivalent. Does anyone know if it will be compatible with the new blends of ethanol gas out there? I know GM cars and trucks are, buthow about the Ford?

I had an Escape with the V6 and got 17-18MPG... getting 29 with the 4WD Escape Hybrid which is the closest mileage I have every gotten (to the window stick). It gets about a mile less a gallon when it is really cold out. It has enough power for merging/passing even with 3 or 4 riders and gear in the back (and two us are big ole boys). I have put about 22,000 miles on it and like it so far though I wish it ran on the battery a bit more.

Paid $27,000 for it, tax benefit of about $1,900... not too much more than the loaded V6 I had before
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2007 at 9:54am
Luddite - are the emissions the same? Remember, the exemption was NOT based on fuel economy, but on SULEV.

You are right, however, in that most people, and particularily slugs, are looking for how to save money over the world.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 9:02am
NoSUV,

So, just how much money do I have to spend on "the world" to make you happy?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2007 at 3:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]NoSUV,

Enough to dump your current non-environmentally friendly vehicle and get a SULEV.

You could make others happy by wasting less at home, composting, solar panels, and more.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2007 at 9:34am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]NoSUV,

Enough to dump your current non-environmentally friendly vehicle and get a SULEV.

You could make others happy by wasting less at home, composting, solar panels, and more.

My car is already an ULEV. Perhaps when my lease is up I'll add the S, because your happiness is what I care most about in this world.

---------
Still waiting for NoSUV to put up or shut up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
  Share Topic