Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "Do Not Ride With List"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boheefus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2002 at 8:27am
*****90's model Isuzu Rodeo Burgundy 4dr VA plates YFH-2427, say they are going to L'enfant, but actually go to Crystal CIty first and don't get on 95 till Dumfries!!!!!*****

This morning I arrived at the 610 lot at about 6am and to my delight there were only 2 people in front of me. Along comes a couple of nice African-American women in a Burgundy Isuzu Rodeo. They said they were going to L'enfant Plaza. Well, in order to keep from foaming at the mouth and waving my arms wildly I will keep this brief. They drove all the way to Dumfries on Rt. 1, stop lights included. Then as we approached the Pentagon the passenger turns to me and says "we just need to drop her off in Crystal City and then we'll go to L'enfant." [:(!] So, 1 hr and 15 minutes later I arrive at L'enfant, late for work and fuming. These women were nice, but they need to pick up for Crystal City and not drag innocent civilians (like me) all over God's creation.

*****90's model Isuzu Rodeo Burgundy 4dr VA plates YFH-2427, say they are going to L'enfant, but actually go to Crystal CIty first and don't get on 95 till Dumfries!!!!!*****
Tonia Evans View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonia Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2003 at 2:03pm
Well being new at this rider stuff....already I have had 2 instances that were unpleasant... 1st the dangerous one - 2000 champagne colored camery picks up at the pentagon and drops off at Horner rd. Rearended a car in the pickup line and then tried to deny it - drives very recklessly weaves from side to side mostly in his lane, then jerks the wheel back so hard you virtually receive a form of backstrain. Slams brakes on versus slowing to stop in a back up of traffic... He is of middle east descent - very nice but just a danger on the road.

And the other situations have been just annoying as far as you get in the car at Horner in the morning with the idea of going to DC and you get there by way of the Pentagon because of them dropping his wife off... so it does take twice as long, it's fine if they want to do this but have the common decency to inform the riders of this potential delay of their own schedule.
Susan Buchanan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2003 at 6:37pm
I am absolutely shocked and stunned at the experience I had this afternoon as a slug and as a woman. The people I rode with tonight need to be boycotted by everyone from here to eternity! [}:)]

Here is what happened:
I was in the slug line at 14th & G for 610 with another lady I slug with at aout 4:10. An older white Chevrolet Lumina pulled up and the lady in the passenger seat held up her fingers indicating they would take two slugs. We got in and were on our way. The ride was awful: they did not have the heat on (it was 40 degrees outside) and they had NPR on extremely loudly playing with only the speakers in the back of the van on. Needless to say, I gave up on my earplugs because it was useless.

That was not the worst part. Upon exiting I95, we told these people that we were both at the "new lot." The man looked to the woman (we believe it was his wife, named Rachel) and replied that he was going to the old lot. He developed an attitude and said we should have told him before we got in the van. [B)] He said he had to drop off his wife and go buy auto parts. (At this point it was 5:05 - I am sure he could have gotten to the auto parts store by 5:30. He then stopped at the intersection of route 610 and Staffordborough and asked us if we wanted to get out there. [:0] We said yes since you refuse to take us to the lot we need. Upon exiting, I told him, just as you said we should have told you we were going to the new lot (even though it was two of us and it is assumed that you will go where the two slugs are going), you should have told us prior to us entering your van that you were only willing to go to the old lot. I also told him he would never have to worry about us again - we would never step in his van again. [}:)]

The two of us had to cross eight lanes of traffic during rush hour in the cold, encountering mud, trash, traffic and such items as condoms along the way. Plus, there are no sidewalks for most of the way. It was awful. [:(!] We could not believe the rudeness and inconsideration of these people. I am willing to accept some responsibility (maybe we should have specified the new lot, even though we were together and they asked for two slugs...whatever!!). However, we feel that their behavior was atrocious and reprehensible. He could have indicated his preference, acknowledged the inconvenience and taken us to the new lot, with the warning that he wouldn't do it again in the future. Or, he could have dropped us off with his wife and she could have zipped us over. In this day and age, with safety concerns and such heavy traffic, we think these are two of the most self-centered and self-serving people we have ever encountered. Please do everything in your power to pass along this info to everyone you know. Do not ride with them!

Their info: it was an old white Chevrolet Lumina van with burgandy interior baskets in between the two front seats and squeaking brakes. The woman is in her mid-40s with red straight hair, the man is mid-50s with grayish hair and a salt and pepper beard.

FYI, the man said he also slugs and always specifies which lot.

To my knowledge, it is not simply a "given" that all slugs are going to the old lot. Please respond and let me know what you all think. I may be being overly sensitive or naive, but I was stunned and appalled.
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 12:17pm
While the ride conditions were not the best, the "which lot" problem could have been avoided, as mentioned, if the desired lot had been expressed before getting into the van. I think that the "given" is that since the old lot has been used for years the default destination for "610" is the old lot, not the new one on Mine Rd. While occasionally I will have a driver ask which lot, the default has been to the old lot. You have to speak up before the trip starts.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 12:39pm
You're right - it could have been avoided by EITHER party speaking up, especially since he was restricted and claims he had to go the auto parts store. It's never been an issue for us when a driver indicates for two slugs - it is assumed that the driver will go to one lot only and that the slugs are going to the same lot. I guess chivalry is out and leaving two women on the side of the road is in. Nice.

Thanks,
Susan
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 3:10pm
Susan,

I also believe Gatewayslug is right and YOU should make the destination known before getting in the car; you can't make assumptions. I understand that if it's cold, you just want to jump into the car, but I'm sure you won't make that mistake again. I'm not familiar with the "old vs. new" lots, but if safety was an issue, then the driver should not have left you stranded under such circumstatnces. If it was a matter of inconvenience, that is, if you had to endure the "cold, encountering mud, trash..." then too bad. But if the roadway does not allow foot traffic where you are walking on the roadway, then yes, he was wrong (again, my opinion since I don't know those lots).

gg
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Buchanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 3:21pm
As I stated in the original post, there were no walkways or walk signs, nor paths for foot traffic. We had to run to cross eight lanes of rush hour traffic and then walk a 1/4+ to the other lot. It's not only a matter of rudeness, it's a matter of safety and being a decent human being. Would you feel any differently if it were your mother, daughter, sister or child? I guess my expectations are too high.

Thanks,
Susan
artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2003 at 4:13pm
I must also agree that if you want to go to the new lot, you MUST state that before entering a car. The default IS the old lot. Given that you didn't specify, it could be considered rude to ask to go to the new lot.
Just another way to look at it.
Most drivers have absolutely no problem dropping a slug off 'early' as long as it is on his normal route.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2003 at 7:51am
The bottom line here is communication as stated above. When you make an assumption you leave yourself wide open at that point. There is a big problem with the new vs old lots at 610 so speak up and dont assume anything!
Rescue5 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rescue5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2003 at 12:49pm
[:(!][}:)][|)]
I have one.. a purple CRV usually going to Armory but will take to L'Enfant... goes 90-85 mph and is all over the road while drinking coffee and reading a home depot magazine!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic