Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTired of choking on hybrid fumes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 12:29pm
Periodically, PennyP, we have a new troll like you who shows up to tell us how selfish we are for carpooling and "keeping the lanes for ourselves."

These new trolls often use the "U" word: under-utilized.

It is the dead giveaway that we are talking to a Toll Road Troll. Would you happen to be an employee of one of the companies that wants to make money by stealing the taxpayer-built carpool lanes on I95?

Your arguments are invalid and have been refuted on this board so many times over the years that we have little left but scorn to heap on your anti-carpooling mentality.

N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 12:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]
If your assertion were true, then it would be even more helpful to open up all five lanes of the roadway to ALL traffic. But then very few people would carpool, and none would slug. And with all the extra cars those former slugs and carpoolers add to the mix, the roads would be clogged on both sides, all five lanes.

All you have to do is look around Horner Road lot one morning, then imagine all those thousands of cars on the road. And add Seidenstricker, and Potomac Mills, and 610, and Old Hechinger's, and 234, and so on...

Of course, where ya gonna park all those vehicles once they get "into the city"? Seems you've now shifted the parking problem from areas that have more land to convert to parking spaces to a place that doesn't have land unless you convert buildings to rubble. Interesting quandry.

Why is it the SOVs don't see a problem when it comes to parking? Curious that.

A possibility for those who choose (or "don't have a choice") the main lanes, is that they could usually pick up a slug or ten, still drop off at the Pentagon or like area, then backtrack AND STILL save time/money/fuel. A final note about the group that "don't have a choice" but to mainlane, many are blue-collar workers who don't park on the north end of the drive--they use their vehicles thruout the day in the normal course of events. How much better if they were hybrids, getting BETTER mileage (on the whole) as they sit in the mainline, not having to park, and using their vehicle for their daily work in some fashion of stop&go traffic throught the day?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 12:46pm
Now, now, sponge and SB2M, is this any way to talk to a newbie to this forum?! Penny is entitled to her opinions, and while posting them and discussing the issues she will learn, as the rest of us have, the relevant facts and the battlelines that we are fighting for. I think there is always room for new views of old ideas (ex. "tele-commuting, more affordable housing close in"), so lets keep our minds open. And lets try to be nice to others.
PennyPrius View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 12:47pm
HOV because you care? Give me a break. Some sluggers are making a politcal statement I am sure, but no way will you convince me that there are many that do it because they care, they do it because it is fulfilling some other need. Time, lack of vehicle, saving money, etc. Not because they care about saving our natural resources. WEAK!

Oh and I am so sorry to those who have been here posting for a longer period of time than I have. I didn't realize that once a topic was covered, that it could not be covered ever again. I will try to read the thousands of posts and limit myself to only those topics that have NOT been covered before.

Do any of you read what you type before clicking "post" if you did you would save us all alot of postering and bluster. As well as arrogance, ignorance and lack of tolerance for any opinion that differs from your own.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 1:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPrius
[br]HOV because you care? Give me a break. Some sluggers are making a politcal statement I am sure, but no way will you convince me that there are many that do it because they care, they do it because it is fulfilling some other need. Time, lack of vehicle, saving money, etc. Not because they care about saving our natural resources. WEAK!

Penny,

Welcome to the board!

Yep, I put that sig on my posts, but it does have another meaning for certain folks. There are those who can choose to SOV, because they can. There are those who can choose to SOV, but choose to HOV because they care. It's for each to decide why they HOV/SOV.

Sometimes we make choices that do have benefits beyond our motives for doing something. Slugs do fall into that category whether everyone wants to agree with it or not.

I'm sorry if you still view my statement as "weak", but it's my statement and you're entitled to your opinion. Again, welcome to the dialogue. You and others may choose less than gracious behavior, I'll not choose to respond in like kind. On the contrary, I'll gladly agree to meet face to face for a more genial and potentially more effective exchange of ideas on commuting in Northern VA.

NoSb

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 2:04pm
Stop whining, PennyP. We're all big boys and girls here. You have two tools to use on this board: words and your wit. (Maybe wisdom, too, but that is not a requirement.) If you can't keep up, get thee to the sidelines.

Now, if your points are good, we'll accept them. If not....

So far you have offered HOV-2 and paving more lanes and allowing even more SOV's into the carpool lanes.

What, did you just get done reading the Fluor plan to build a private concession inside the public conveyance?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 2:08pm
Not a whiner at all, but if the shoe fits...
Do we all agree that things are not good the way they are?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 2:23pm
Good point Penny! (that is, in the form of a question).

More people per vehicle (pick your poison, er, type of vehicle) WILL remove vehicles from the mix which provides all kinds of additional benefits.

They can't build enough roads for everyone to ride SOV like we, as Americans, have a propensity to do.

HOV-2 only adds more vehicles to the road.

HOV-4, which wasn't considered during discussions surrounding HOT, seems a more logical choice. Even HOV-40 makes more sense although it will require a really big influx of bus companies to absorb what HOV-3 currently carries. Whole nuther set of issues with HOV-40 that would need to be explored too...

One observation, a hybrid traveling SOV at any time does nothing to reduce congestion which increases emissions and complicates parking problems.

With your permission, I'd like to refer back to one of your earliest posts concerning something to the effect of being "upwardly mobile". There are lots of people who need to travel daily who aren't "upwardly mobile" (by many different understandings of the definition). Many of these need to slug. Many of them don't read this website, they're too busy doing many of the "less mobile" tasks that need to occur to make things work around here. Many are on hourly wages and only get paid when on the clock. Granting them a bit of grace in their quandry, which is all about getting to work on time, would seem to be the order of the day.

Things can be better, agreed. Just not sure SOV hybrids and HOV-2 will result in those. Convince me.

NoSb

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 3:17pm
NoSB, you are wasting your time. PennyP hasn't thought about these issues long enough to form a considered opinion. HOV-2? More lanes?

Time spent arguing these points is time we could spend drinking.

Now, PennyP asked, "Do we all agree that things are not good the way they are?"

And the answer is: No, we do not all agree that things are not good.

We have the world's BEST HOV SYSTEM. It moves More People, Faster, Farther, and with Less Eco-Impact, than any other form of transportation in our region.

Those are facts you can find in VDOT's December 2005 report.

Can we make the carpool lanes even more efficient? Yes.

How? Try HOV-4, more and bigger and better designed commuter lots, a PR campaign to encourage carpooling and busriding, more Omniride routes, later and earlier Omniride routes, subsidized Omniride routes, state-subsidized vanpools, longer hours for HOV, tax-incentives for carpoolers, better and more frequent policing, and so on.

Oh, we have plenty of ideas around here.

My personal favorite is the re-striping of Horner Road to allow for at last another 300-500 cars. Easy to do and cheap.

You were saying, PennyP?
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PennyPrius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2006 at 3:25pm
Sponge,
Are you some sort of seer? How do you know how long I have thought about these topics? Your ignorance and arrongance don't amaze me, they just annoy me!

If things were so good, then why do you have suggestions to change/improve them? Obviously they could be better if you offer suggestions to improve them. Think before thy type!

PS, Your attempts at humiliation and bullying WILL NOT WORK ON ME! Perhaps they work on others here, but OOOPS, not me. [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
  Share Topic