Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions Solicited...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions Solicited...
    Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 9:59am
....I just wanted to get the masses opinions on my situation. I work in Rosslyn and live in Fredericksburg. I'm also a DoD civilian. So here's the dilemma. I normally get to the Gordon Road/Route 3 lot at or abouts 6AM - give or take 10 minutes. Depending on traffic I get to work anywhere between 7 and 8 - most often between 7:15ish and 7:45. As we all know - we can't control traffic.

When I was hired in this office I was told that the "floor hours" are 8-5 and my schedule of 7:30 to 4 was approved by the AF Colonel that I work for. Now, I get in some days at 7:45, 8 - based completely on traffic - rain, accidents - we all know the deal here. So yesterday, I got a reprimand about "constantly being late"...I have been charged leave for every time I'm not "At my desk" at 7:30. I have asked on days when I'm late can I simply stay until whatever time to make up the difference and hit 8 hours and been told absolutely not. I am not credited on days when I arrive early, but punished for something I can't control. And yes - I do call when I know I'm going to be late - but that may not be until Springfield or 110 or wherever and by then it's already 7:15 or so. I was told in my reprimand that if I am late ONE MORE TIME it will reflect in my appraisals and my hours will be change to 8-5. [:(!][V]

So...I could get up and gone by 5 and be in the office before ANYONE else but then I'm still there until 4. I've even worked late MANY nights with no comp time or anything.

What do I do? What do you all think? I need to hear it from someone on the outside.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 1:16pm
Show up to the slugline earlier.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
RCA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 1:28pm
Good answer. And that is obvious...but what does that have to do with me sitting in traffic in the rain or behind an accident? I can't control that. I could get to the Slugline at 5 AM and STILL be late.

Thanks for the answer tho.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 3:18pm
I had a supervisor like that, more than 5 minutes late, 1 hour annual down the drain, then she would bitch about me to others. When that tractor trailer flipped a few months back and shut down 95, I was 2 3/4 hours late, it was all over the news and the office, I was not the only one late, I even called in more than once, and she tried to make me use annual. Sorry there is no easy answer, try leaving 10-15 minutes even earlier than you do now, is there other routes or forms of transportation you can take?

:'}
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 3:52pm
Your super could charge you quarterly increments of leave instead of the full hour. Supervisers can also grant up to 59 minutes of leave at thier discretion. Unless DOD is different than my agency. I'm glad I have a more understanding supervisor
Luvmyhybrid View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvmyhybrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 3:55pm
GMHP
"When that tractor trailer flipped a few months back and shut down 95, I was 2 3/4 hours late, it was all over the news and the office, I was not the only one late, I even called in more than once, and she tried to make me use annual."

Curious about this comment....I'm guessing you're a govt. employee and earn annual leave? Am I to understand here that if you're 2 3/4 late to work, your office doesn't expect you to use annual leave? If so, I want to work where you work. Traffic problems unfortunately are the problem of the employee, not the government. Now, again, I'm guessing you're a govt. employee, if not,I retract this statement.

dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2006 at 5:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by Luvmyhybrid
[br]GMHP
"When that tractor trailer flipped a few months back and shut down 95, I was 2 3/4 hours late, it was all over the news and the office, I was not the only one late, I even called in more than once, and she tried to make me use annual."

Curious about this comment....I'm guessing you're a govt. employee and earn annual leave? Am I to understand here that if you're 2 3/4 late to work, your office doesn't expect you to use annual leave? If so, I want to work where you work. Traffic problems unfortunately are the problem of the employee, not the government. Now, again, I'm guessing you're a govt. employee, if not,I retract this statement.

"Traffic problems are the problems of the employee and not the government." Did I hear that right, or did you type faster than I can read? I was under the impression that we elected people to government to hire and oversee the people that provide our transportation.

If government is denying that they have control of the roads, something is wrong.

Please type slower, in words of one sylable or less (or is that fewer?). Pictures and graphs are good.

The Texas Transportation Institute, using "government" money writes reports that indicate one day in twenty late for work is "normal". TTI also goes on to state that the "earlier" departure time to compensate for unpredictability of transportation is a cost of doing business.

Then there is the Assembly which thinks that everyone should be equally miserable, so reversible lanes must be operated at capacity. An Assembly that has forgotten about getting passengers.

Who is minding the transportation store? Pitchforks, torches, storm the castle.

"Government" money is what taxpayers provide to be managed by elected officials. Some call it a tax. Some call it a windfall.

Have you recruited a slug (either passenger or driver) this week?

dickboyd@aol.com
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 7:46am
Yes, I am a govt. employee, NO, I dont think it was fair to use my hard earned vacation time because of uncontrollable circumstances. To finish the story, I had a conversation with upper management about this issue who also agreed that being late was NOT my fault, and I was granted administrative leave for the time I was in late. I bet that REALLY pisses you off now doesnt it? Have a lovely day.

:'}
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 8:48am
Nothing better than beating the boss. "The Government" is a big term including many agencies that have nothing to do with roads. And like the private world, it is the persons responsibility to get to work on time under reasonable circumstances.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2006 at 2:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by mikester
[br]Nothing better than beating the boss. "The Government" is a big term including many agencies that have nothing to do with roads. And like the private world, it is the persons responsibility to get to work on time under reasonable circumstances.

Is there a government agency that DOES have something to do with roads? Just because there are other government agencies that have duties NOT related to roads doesn't give the government road people a free pass to do whatever they want.

The places where ride sharing works have this in common. The employers have banded together to promote ride sharing. The employers have banded together to ensure the transportation system is adequate.

3-M in Minneapolis-St.Paul, Oak Ridge Labs, Automobile plants in Windsor, Canada, Oil Companies in Texas, Insurance companies in the northeast, rail companies nationwide, most state capitals and many county seats have successful ride sharing programs due to the efforts of the employer. Many have successful road campaigns due to the efforts of the Chamber of Commerce or some affilitation of employers.

Ride sharing was instituted as an alternative to building more roads. When those employers went to the roads people, the roads people told them how much it would cost to get "adequate" roads. The roads people asked the employers if there was something that employers could do to reduce peak demand.

In my experience those employers also had and continue to have a great deal to say about the transportation system in their area. One driving factor is the number of parking spaces the employer has to provide. Another is the amount of tax, or the waiving of taxes to entice new businesses.

Has the government given up on providing adequate transportation? Or have the people lowered their expectations of what "adequate" transportation is.

Is adequate now "reasonable"? Is it reasonable to spend an extra 15 minutes per day on the morning commute every day because one day in twenty the traffic will be so bad as to delay commute time by 15 minutes?

John Mason of SAIC and former Mayor of the City of Fairfax epitomizes the new generation of politicians. When asked about lost worker productivity due to traffic discussions around the coffee pot and attitute adustment time, John said "That doesn't happen at SAIC." End of discussion.

Screw you guys that are at companies that lose productivity. Get away from that coffee pot, stop your whining. Nose to grindstone, shoulder to the wheel, you are on company time now.

Pitchforks, torches, storm the castle.

I see by the Post that Jack Herrity has passed away. For those of you asking "Jack who", Jack was almost singlehandedly responsible for the explosive growth in northern Virginia. OK, he had some help from Til Hazel. Jack's passing leaves commuters with one less champion.

Hey boss, if you want me here on time, send a note over to VDOT asking them for "adequate" roads. Or pay me portal to portal for my lost time spent compensating for those inadequate roads. OK, skip the second part, settle for getting the boss to sent a letter to VDOT. The boss, for you federal employees might be W. Or maybe OMB or OPM. Pick your letters.

Don't you just love how governments speak alphabet?

When was the last time you recruited a slug?

dickboyd@aol.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic