Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWill FHA nix VA law extension on hybrids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Baggett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will FHA nix VA law extension on hybrids?
    Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 3:12pm
I've seen almost no coverage of any response from FHA concerning VDOT's response to FHA's concerns about HOV traffic and hybrids. I know there was a law going through congress that would let states ultimately decide the rules for HOV and that FHA was delaying any action against virginia (since VA is in violation of Federal regulations) until that Bill was passed (or not).

FHA has a VERY big stick. If that law was not passed in congress they can basically threaten to take away highway construction money.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2006 at 6:03pm
Doug,

The role of the Federal Highway Administration has been totally un-reported as you say. This is a federal highway and they do have ultimate control. My interpretation from their website and correspondence (opinion only) is that while they are pro-HOT, including 95 and the beltway, they are very concerned about hybrid clogging.

Unfortunately, the federal transportation bill you mentioned did pass, and allows states to allow hybrids with clog- monitoring programs. When clogging reaches a limit specified under the law, the hybrids are kicked out or X number are grandfathered (I think). (Gee I wonder if the auto industry lobbied this.)

VDOT in Richmond apparently has said (according to an email by my county supervisor) that they are going to start a monitoring program of hybrids that will be carried out next year.

So we shall see what happens if the VA extension law passes. I hope the feds step up an show some leadership. We haven't seen any up to this point..

NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 11:37am
Seems like the feds HAVE provided something, although whether or not you can call it leadership is debatable. After all, they allow tolls to be collected on interstates state by state, clearly they should also let the states decide on HOV policy.

And the extension law is not if, but when. Kaine can't veto it since it passed both houses by such a large majority that a veto override is all but certain.

Better to try for the next session, because if the dire congestion predicted by VDOT, the Post, and slugs doesn't happen, there will be further extensions - so you'll need some other ploy to kill it.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 11:56am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Seems like the feds HAVE provided something, although whether or not you can call it leadership is debatable. After all, they allow tolls to be collected on interstates state by state, clearly they should also let the states decide on HOV policy.

And the extension law is not if, but when. Kaine can't veto it since it passed both houses by such a large majority that a veto override is all but certain.

Better to try for the next session, because if the dire congestion predicted by VDOT, the Post, and slugs doesn't happen, there will be further extensions - so you'll need some other ploy to kill it.

So everyone else in the states thinks the slugs are wrong and should not have access to free flowing lanes? The question then becomes one of home rule. Are the people in northern Virginia capable of governing themselves? Governor Kaine apparently thinks not, at least in the case of who gets to decide the operating rules on the reversible lanes. Can you spell carpetbagger?

dickboyd@aol.com
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 1:43pm
Actually, one way to look at this is fairly positive for us anti-hybrids. It is a statewide law and it is true that the way the overall bill is put forth with the one year extension, the support is almost unanimous for 2007. However, another slant on it is that we did WIN the grandfather clause for 95, which is a real victory for us and CAPS the total count. They didn't have to put that in, and putting it in was a real acknowledgement of the awareness of a developing severe problem on this road.

Let's hear it for all you guys that contributed to this partial victory by sending emails etc.

So much for some people's thinking that only slugs think there is a problem.

What I would like to know more about is whether the various committees discussed or considered ending the exemption altogether on 95 only. Guess we may never know.

If anyone gets any information to shed more light on what is going on or went on in Richmond please post it.

bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 2:02pm
True. I am glad to see the cap but there will come a time when this too will get revoked. The cap is surely a begining of the end for Hybrids in HOV.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 3:29pm
I can't wait for the day that we finally get around to allowing ONLY hybrids and CF vehicles in the express lanes! Talk about making leaving a better world behind for our kids. Best is to get it to HOV-CF. How can we get there?
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 3:41pm
HOV-CF, that sounds like hybrids picking up three people. Shouldn't they be doing that anyway?
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 3:47pm
Actually, it means that all non-CF private vehicles need to get out of the express lanes - forever!
mikester View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2006 at 4:01pm
You'd prefer a more taxpayer funded private highway for hybrid owners. If I owned one, I'd want that too. I guess I can't blame you for being selfish. Even if you try to veil it under enviromentalism.
Sooner or later the majority of vehicles will be some sort of alternative fuel or hybrids. That will make the exemption a mute point. Then we'll be in the same situation as we are now. But with that much more growth and people around. I think HOV should stay HOV3. I don't care what kinda fuel the machine uses. It seems like theres a bigger problem with congestion than air quality around here.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic