General Slugging Topics
 Virginia wants to start charging for the EZ Pass
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

siggy14

41 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  15:44:28  Show Profile
Plan to screw more people out of their money.

Step 1: Sell roads and make them hot lanes. Require all people that use the hot lanes use the EZ Pass Transponder.

Step 2: Set in motion to start charging all EZ Pass holders 1 dollar a month fee.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/may/05/vdot-wont-hold-hearings-e-zpass-fees-ar-1893327/

billybaru

36 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  14:04:25  Show Profile
Paying Va to have the ability to pay to use a Va highway. I also think this idea is crazy. EZPASS was meant to be a way to help state DOT's ease congestion (faster toll collection and less toll attendants) not to be an extra "slush" revenue source. The worst part is I typically have three occupants in my vehicle and If i choose to use these lanes I will need to get this (FLEX) pass with HOV switch for $1 amonth. A real good incentive to carpool (inser sarcasm here). Please voice your displeasure and reply to this thread.. I hope VDOT listens
Go to Top of Page

smithma
Average Member

63 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  20:31:07  Show Profile
Replying to this won't do much.

Per the article above send your feedback to vdotinfo@vdot.virginia.gov
Go to Top of Page

mycroftt
Advanced Member

460 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  06:53:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by billybaru

EZPASS was meant to be a way to help state DOT's ease congestion (faster toll collection and less toll attendants) not to be an extra "slush" revenue source.

Just as HOV was meant to be a way to ease congestion, not to be an extra "slush" revenue source. The problem with those good intentions is there are people whose job is to look around and find potential sources of revenue and there are politicians addicted to the taxpayers' money.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  12:01:18  Show Profile
When MD started charging for their EZPass, I moved all mine to the Peace Bridge in New York. No monthly fee.
Go to Top of Page

billybaru

36 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  12:52:57  Show Profile
right on...I am originally from NY and both of my vehicles have NY Ezpass'es. Free yearly as long as you have auto replenishment attached to a credit card. Hopefully NY can issue the "FLEX" transponders with the same cost (usage only)
Go to Top of Page

KeithO
Average Member

76 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  22:04:44  Show Profile
I've had a MD EZ Pass for +5 yrs and have never had a charge beyond the initial set up & stuff. It's on auto renewal (to a credit card) when it gets below a certain level, but you can set you limits. Youll get a letter every ~6 months if you dont use it, but if you just call them in 30 days they will keep the account open. They just want to make sure you didnt lose their equipment.
In other words, if VA is going to charge, take your business to a state that wont they dont care.

KeithO
Go to Top of Page

billybaru

36 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  09:36:22  Show Profile
VDOT is looking for publci comment on the proposed monthly EZpass fees. speak now

http://www.virginiadot.org/e-zpass

Go to Top of Page

KeithO
Average Member

76 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  21:33:44  Show Profile
This is my response that I just sent to vdotinfo@vdot.virginia.gov. I'm posting it here, for the record, too.

I am AGAINST the proposal to charge $1/month fee for transponder use. First, the cost of all tolls collected should adequately cover all associated costs of the tool lanes. Nobody pays an extra surcharge when going through a manned toll booth, nor should they have to pay a monthly surcharge to use a transponder that should ultimately be cheaper than having a person collecting tolls.
Second, folks using the HOT lanes with HOV3 should not even be required to have a transponder. If a person is only going to use HOT lanes with HOV3 then they should not have to go through the inconvenience of having to obtain a transponder and the possibility of having charges incorrectly recorded against their transponder account. I, for one, would much rather put my transponder away when using HOV 3 to ensure that I dont incur any incorrect charges.
Finally, according to the VDOT Funding, Key Business Terms and Procurement FACT SHEET, dated July 2008 (http://vahotlanes.com/documents/CB-HOT-terms-July-08-Fact-Sheet.pdf) : Vehicles with three or more passengers and transit must ride free. Requiring HOV3 drivers to purchase a transponder and / or charging HOV3 drivers with a transponder a monthly surcharge for the luxury of having a transponder would be breaking the original promises made to the people of Virginia to maintain the free ride.

KeithO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page