Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Slugging Comments
 General Slugging Topics
 Slug Lines at New Telegraph Road Commuter Lot!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
Forum Admin

1171 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  11:43:39  Show Profile
It's time to start planning for new Slug Lines at the new Telegraph Road Commuter Lot!!

Phase 1 of construction of the new commuter lot on Telegraph Road down the street from Horner will likely be completed sometime in August. There should be approximately 250 to 300 spaces available at that time.

Phase 2 will begin once Phase 1 is complete. Phase 2 consists of finishing the rest of the lot, widening Telegraph to allow for turn lanes into the lot, installation of a traffic signal at the entrance of the new lot, and construction of a walking path between the Horner Road lot and the new lot.

PRTC is working on a plan for bus service into the lot beginning in Oct/Nov timeframe.

The question to the Slugging Community is: what slug lines should we add to the new Telegraph Road Lot?? Ideally it should be a location that is not already serviced from Horner. However, we could add a similiar destination to relieve congestion pressure.

Please use this thread for comments. I can also add a Survey to the homepage to gage popularity.

Thanks!

Sculler

16 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  13:11:27  Show Profile
Good thinking! I agree that we should supplement existing slug lines at Horner (and maybe include new ones depending on interest).

I would love to see slug lines for Rosslyn and 18th Street, but that's based on my own work schedule.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

1171 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  13:18:36  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions. All ideas are on the table at this point!
Go to Top of Page

cheryl101

7 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  10:59:21  Show Profile
Also the drivers will not drive to the middle lot when droping off riders they stop just far enough to make a u turn back to the first lot to drive out on to the parkway. you think they will drive a litter farther to the new lot. i don't think so sometimes i feel the drivers have no respect for the riders, if it weren't for us they wouldn't be happy tied up in traffic

Edited by - cheryl101 on 07/14/2012 11:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

1171 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  10:23:07  Show Profile
Old Timer,
From what I understand, they will be installing a traffic signal for the lot but that will come sometime after the lot is completed.

As far as dropping off slugs, hopefully we can create a new line altogether. If we move forward with another Pentagon line, the slug will just have to let the driver know before accepting the ride that they are in the new commuter lot. The driver can then make a decision on whether to pick up the slug or wait for somebody else.
Go to Top of Page

old_timer

30 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  07:47:07  Show Profile
You know what is going to happen. The Northern ends of the Horner slug lines will become 2 lines. One for the first Horner lot and another for the second. Guess which one will not have many drivers!
Go to Top of Page

old_timer

30 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  08:00:04  Show Profile
Great! A traffic light! Just what the Doctor ordered! (lol) This will back traffic up on Catonhill more than it is now and in the afternoon, I see the traffic backing up, in the present lot, all the way to the highway entrance/exit. There is no way, in anybodies wildest dreams, that this will work out to our benefit! What they need is some actual slugs and drivers on the board that is making these decisions. Remember the lot at the church? That was a great idea! Not! As I said before, I'm just glad I'll be retiring soon.
Go to Top of Page

fed up
Average Member

82 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  14:34:38  Show Profile
I would like to see a LeFant line. Ever since Pot Mills closed down,I have a hard time finding slugs for LeFant at 7:30 - 7:45 a.m.
Go to Top of Page

zansmom

7 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  16:34:26  Show Profile
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! add a L'enfant Slug Line to and from that lot!!
The Horner Rd. lot is the ONLY LOCATION that provides a L'Enfant line; every other destination has multiple commuter lot choices. Rosslyn/Pentagon lines have Tackett's Mill;14th and 18th Sts have Old Hechinger's, but we L'Enfant riders are forced to go to other destinations and add Metro to their commute if Horner's lot is full.
We, slug riders tried so hard to incorporate another line at Tackett's and were faced with confrontational fellow slugs because of it, so we left there. We have also conceeded in our efforts to get Horner Rd. drivers to bring us back to Tackett's via Telegraph Rd.
So in all fairness, we have waited very patiently for a second lot, please Mr./Ms. ADMIN person, dont neglect us this time. PLEASE!!! (have I said PLEASE enough times or not?)
Go to Top of Page

zansmom

7 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  16:51:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cheryl101

why not use this new parking lot for Bus passagers only. this would free up more parking spaces at the Horner road lot.

WOW!! Cheryl101 has something there!! if the vanpools and the bus canopies were moved over there we'd have more spaces for people to get to the slug vehicles. it would also keep the afternoon traffic tie ups to a minimum and shucks for each van that's 15 cars gone from Horner. Multiply that by 10 vans and we've got an additional 150 spaces for 75 drivers to pick up riders after 7:10 am!!!! So imagine if you add people who only park in that lot to ride the bus. it's so much easier to move the bus stops than it is to relocate the lines. Like oldtimers said remember the church lot?!?!?

GREAT IDEA CHERYL101!!! KUDOS!
Go to Top of Page

old_timer

30 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  11:23:14  Show Profile
You know, it's too late now, but it might have been a good idea if the VDOT lot on the corner of Opitz and Telegraph were relocated to where the new Horner lot is. Then turn the present VDOT lot into a bus/slug parking lot. It is conveiently located right down the street from the bus terminal. Maybe even could have built a multi-level parking garage there. This would have replaced the Potamac Mills lot. Couldn't be more convenient to get to the HOV lanes (except for the first Horner lot).
Go to Top of Page

LC@PotomacLocal

12 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2012 :  14:32:27  Show Profile
Good news for commuters: Telegraph Road Lot is scheduled to open September 4!

http://potomaclocal.com/2012/08/15/parking-relief-coming-post-labor-day/
By LAURA CIRILLO

WOODBRIDGE, Va. Parking relief for Woodbridge commuters is coming in early September.

A new commuter lot on Telegraph Road near Interstate 95 and Prince William Parkway is scheduled to open after Labor Day. Commuters have been anxiously looking forward to the additional 700 commuter parking spaces at the new Telegraph Road Lot.

Although the adjacent Horner Road Lot is the largest commuter lot in the Virginia with more than 2,300 parking spaces, it is typically filled to capacity before 7:30 a.m., leaving many commuters arriving later to find parking at other area commuter lots.

In December, Prince William County officials awarded a $2.4 million contract to Tavares Concrete as part of the first phase of construction, resulting in 700 new parking spaces. The second phase of the project will include roadway and entrance improvements, according to county transportation officials.

County transportation officials say they are working with Dominion Virginia Power to confirm when power will be delivered to the lot. Provided there are no related setbacks, the first phase is expected to open as scheduled on Sept. 4, the day after Labor Day.

There has been much discussion among commuters as to how the additional spaces should be utilized, some suggesting that the vanpools and OmniRide bus lines be relocated to the new lot in order to free up parking for Slug lines at the Horner Road lot.

However, according to OmniRide spokeswoman Christine Rodrigo, bus service will not be available at the Telegraph Road lot until early November, when PRTCs fall schedule change takes effect. Though it is proximate to the Horner Road lot, the new lot has both routing and scheduling implications that must be worked out before the lot can be served by commuter buses.

How do you think the new Telegraph Road Commuter Lot should be utilized? Tweet Laura Cirillo @SlugTales on Twitter with your suggestions!

*Check out Slug Tales every Wednesday on PotomacLocal.com*

Happy Slugging!
Go to Top of Page

rknighton
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  11:02:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fed up

I would like to see a LeFant line. Ever since Pot Mills closed down,I have a hard time finding slugs for LeFant at 7:30 - 7:45 a.m.

I also would like to see a L'Enfant line at the new lot. I've been using the Dale City Commuter Lot and have had to add a metro ride in the morning and a local bus ride in the evening plus an additional half hour of commuting each day.
Go to Top of Page

Sculler

16 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2012 :  15:11:55  Show Profile
Hey there, Admin! So, come the morning of Tuesday, September 4, what should commuters expect at the new lot? Has a decision been made on which slug lines will be forming to and from that lot? I know that PRTC won't be including this parking lot on their bus route until some time in November but I'm hoping that there will be some organized slugging out of this new lot.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

1171 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  08:44:10  Show Profile
Hey Sculler,
Yes, we are looking to put one (or more) slug line in the new lot. I agree L'Enfant is one destination with a lot of interest. However, any new line needs to be a coordinated effort. If drivers show up without any slugs (and vice versa) the line will fail because nobody wants to wait unless they know they will get a ride.

So, what I will do in the next few days is survey the slugs once more on which destinations. We will set a date (probably the middle of the month 19th or 26th) to kickoff the official start date. This will allow time to spread the word.

More to follow!!
Go to Top of Page

tygger

27 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  09:39:10  Show Profile
I'm also interested in a L'Enfant line at the new lot. It seems like with school back in session, the old lot is filling up by 7AM again. Would it be too complicated to move the lines to the new "overflow" lot after a certain time?

I don't know about the new lot, but the original lot will definitely need a traffic light. It's already difficult for cars to make a left onto Telegraph... can't imagine the mess that the new lot will create when more cars are driving straight through the old lot to drop off folks in the new lot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page