Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Slugging Comments
 General Slugging Topics
 Slug Lines at New Telegraph Road Commuter Lot!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cheryl101

7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  19:41:09  Show Profile
do you really think the drivers will take time time to drop a rider off at the new lot. maybe if they willi f they are going that way There are many drivers that take the Prince William parkway
Go to Top of Page

tmyuille
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  13:04:04  Show Profile
IMHO, I think anyone who vanpools or uses a bus should park in the new lot. That would free up spots for "sluggers" and avoid moving/splitting slug lines. It would also be safer because, as opposed to individual cars and people trying to cross busy Telegraph road, it would be the buses and vans. (More people service by with traffic).
Go to Top of Page

Sculler

16 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  11:30:46  Show Profile
Let me articulate a two-fold concern on my part:

If we do attempt to slug in from the new lot to any location in the DC/Rosslyn area, where would the return lines be in the afternoon? In other words, if we don't already have a designated p.m. arrangement in place there are no guarantees we can get a ride back to the new lot.

The second part of my concern is that at the moment there is no PRTC bus service to the new lot and, if I read their website correctly, this won't happen until November when they publish their new schedule.

So once there is a bus schedule for a particular lot, then sluggers are more likely to experiment with a morning pick-up at the new lot knowing they can rely on the bus to bring them back if they can't find a slug ride back to the lot in the p.m. But until then I personally don't want to take the risk of slugging out of the new lot in the a.m. only to find there is no way back to the lot in the p.m.

Go to Top of Page

vistalizzie

10 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  21:12:59  Show Profile
I like the bus idea and the L'Enfant idea for the new lot, but I think the bus should still stop in Horner Road proper. When slugging dries up in the main Horner Road lot (near the 7:00/7:30am fill-up times), you don't want the last folks in the sluglines to have to run back to the new lot to catch a bus (plan B for the commute). Keep the same two stops in Horner and add a bus stop in the new lot (traffic light included). L'Enfant slugging goes there too, as several folks seem to want that. Sounds good to me.
Go to Top of Page

old_timer

30 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  10:33:19  Show Profile
Comment to those wanting the new lot to be only for bus riders and carpools.

This is contrary to the way slugging started. The slug lines were started as an alternative to riding the bus. Originally there were no "slug lines" they were just bus lines that drivers would pull up to and pick up riders going to the same location. Over the years, it seems "officials" have been trying to seperate the bus riders from the slugs. They have already accomplished this at the Pentagon. The slug lines are nowhere near the bus lines. People in the lines no longer have the option of bus or slug (paying or not paying). As to what slug lines develop in the new lot, I would say that it depends on which busses go to the new lot. If the busses at the new lot go to all the destinations, this may cause multiple slug lines to try to appear. I'm afraid this won't work out to the slug's advantage because, as said before, drivers are not going to want to go to the new lot. If this was to work out correctly, only busses to a certain destination should stop at a particular stop and the slug lines should and would form accordingly. The new lot could be always for carpools/vanpools only.
Go to Top of Page

dizzykat22192

19 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  16:09:00  Show Profile
It should be all lines after 7:15 a.m. It's a moderately dangerous walk along a very narrow road with traffic that travels quite rapidly. The winter will be even worse as it gets darker and the sides of the road are blocked with snow. I realize it's not easy to get in and out of the new lot and having to travel onto Telegraph is a complete pain.
Go to Top of Page

JSB

19 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  14:43:09  Show Profile
As per the latest bulletin from Prince Williams County, there is going to be a sidewalk between Telegraph Lot and Horner Rd Lot, and Telegraphic Rd will be converted to 4-lane. When?, that is not clear. Until that happens, slugging out of the new lot will be impractical. Most likely those who use bus both ways are best to use the new lot. They can use this lot if their work schedule begins well after 7am.
Go to Top of Page

myaras
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2012 :  12:58:20  Show Profile
The only way any line will work is if it only at the new light. Keeping L'Enfant or any other line in the old lot while adding in lines in the new lot will only lead to confusion and delay on the way home. It will take a lot of time for us to verify that drivers will go to the new lot. I already encounter drivers unwilling to go to the second bus stop. Since I'm handicapped this is a big deal. Tell me before I get into you car, do not make me ask for all the little details.
Go to Top of Page

shaanna
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:23:29  Show Profile
Would it be feasible to move only all Vanpools to the 123 lot? I think that would free up the most space at Horner, as well as actually utilize the 123 lot which is just sitting there going to waste. It's right there by HOV, and it's the first bus stop for those riders that don't manage to catch their respective vanpool in the evening.
If we were able to free up enough parking spaces at Horner maybe we could move one of the DC lines to the Telegraph lot, or combine the Pentagon, and Navy Yard/L'Enfant lines in Telegraph, move the 14th people up to where the Navy Yard used to pick up, move the 18th street up to where 14th street stands (to try to eliminate back up), and move Rosslyn and Crystal City to where Pentagon used to pick up.
Go to Top of Page

dizzykat22192

19 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  16:49:14  Show Profile
Is anyone ever going to make a decision about lines at Telegraph? The walk is treacherous and only going to get worse as it gets darker earlier and when bad weather (snow/rain) makes it impossible to walk along the very narrow side causing walkers to walk in the road. My experience thus far has been that cars looking for riders for all lines come in if there's no one in the lines in the lot. That would justify having all lines in Telegraph after 7:15 a.m. Going home is goind to be a bit trickier, at least until they put a traffic light in.
Go to Top of Page

dizzykat22192

19 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2012 :  16:56:12  Show Profile
And I agree with Old Timer - they do whatever they can to separate the buses and slugs - 14th Street and New York Avenue are also examples of this - and quite definitely the new Telegraph Lot - even after buses start running there it's still not an optimum location for slugging. No accident I suspect.
Go to Top of Page

simpstr
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  20:31:39  Show Profile
If you aren't at horner road by 6:55 there are no spaces. The other day when the traffic was bad, so many people were driving around parking illegally because there were no spaces. Walking is dangerous to get to the slug in line and in the evenings its even worse trying to get out of the lot. The traffic backs up on the ramp. Potomac mills is virtually gone so they are all moving to Horner. PRTC is moving Dale City/Pentagon and Crystal City buses over to the new lot. I saw that on their website today, so why not move ALL THE BUSES over there and leave Horner road for sluggers only?
Go to Top of Page

old_timer

30 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  08:45:19  Show Profile
Just a quick comment on the subject of slug lines. DO NOT create two lines going to the same place in two different lots! That will create a nightmare for drivers who only want to go to a specific lot, or there will have to be two lines at the Northern end for the commute home.
Go to Top of Page

VAwitch

44 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  10:24:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JSB

As per the latest bulletin from Prince Williams County, there is going to be a sidewalk between Telegraph Lot and Horner Rd Lot, and Telegraphic Rd will be converted to 4-lane. When?, that is not clear. Until that happens, slugging out of the new lot will be impractical. Most likely those who use bus both ways are best to use the new lot. They can use this lot if their work schedule begins well after 7am.

Which is why the first time I get a ticket for parking illegally @ the current Horner lot, I'll be heading to court to contest.

I am working 2 jobs to support my son & elderly parents who are on a fixed income - and 1 of them has dementia so he'll never work again & his costs will just go up. As my 2nd job requires me to walk, & if not able to I cannot report - I cannot afford a twisted ankle because PWC once again did something commuter-wise half cocked, and there is no sidewalk for folks to walk SAFELY along a BLIND CURVE.

We'll see how it goes. Given how unimpressed & annoed my judge was last fall, when they got the VA SP involved in issuing tickets that required a court appearance even if not contesting, may work well; may not.
Go to Top of Page

Tufnwd

5 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  18:51:05  Show Profile
Ok. So the new lot will have bus service allegedly tomorrow. Why don't we see which bus lines will drop off at the new lot and then designate that lot for a particular destination as we Potomac Mills? I don't think the lines in the first lot should be moved. If nothing else, why not move a DC line completely into the Telegraph lot?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page