Audio Books while slugging...bad news!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lsbrkmn

8 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2012 :  15:44:24  Show Profile
Audio Books While Slugging – Bad News!

I am interested in what others think about audio books during the slug rides. In my experience, they are never a good experience, and only cause bad feelings among the riders.

Just this past week I slugged from the Pentagon with an older Caucasian lady in a Silver Lexus. She seemed nice enough, initially. This woman just started listening to an audio book when she picked me and another lady up. I did not know what she was listening to, and asked if it was NPR? She then told me it was an audio book, but forgot what it was or what it was about. So, we listened. About 2 minutes in to it, one of the characters started swearing excessively and repeatedly. He especially liked using the "F" word. I thought the story would lighten up, but more characters were swearing throughout the story. I sat there for a few more minutes, then put in my ear phones to listen to my IPOD. But, I still could hear the swearing over the full volume of my IPOD!

I finally couldn't stand it any longer, and said to the driver with a smile, "Wow, this character really likes swearing." She then told me "Well, you never know what you are going to get, when you get one of these books on tape". But, she never turned it off. I agreed, but then asked if she could turn in down a little, so I could listen to my IPOD. She became upset and yelled at me "If you don't like it, I don't have to pick you up next time!" I was shocked at her rude behavior, but said nothing and calmly smiled at her. (Secretly, I thought she was a little emotionally unstable to get so upset at something I thought would be offensive to most people.)

I mentioned this Slug-Line web site that mentions etiquette for drivers and slugs and how it is in everyone's interest to have a pleasant ride. She than said "Oh, what are you gonna do, get the Slug-Line Police after me?". She then told me I was not supposed to talk to her, according to the Slug-Line web site, so it was obvious that I had never read the etiquette.
I told her that was only true if the driver did not want to talk, and that she seemed open to the short discussion we had when I initially entered in to her car. (We did not talk after that, except when I said something about the audio book content.)

This woman was a piece of work, and I did not know what crazy things she was capable of doing. So, the last thing I said to her in a calm manner as possible, was that I like her suggestion of us not riding again together. She smirked at me, and we did not talk for the rest of the ride.

I do not think audio books should be encouraged for drivers or slugs because the few times I have listened to them have been disastrous. For example, another time, an very nice older Caucasian man was listening to an audio book that was about the Civil War. The story was about the plantation owners and the slaves. I am of a melting pot mixture of races, but my fellow slugger was an African American Man who was clearly very upset about the words and readings of the audio book. At the end of the ride, I mentioned to the older man that he might want to listen to something else next time because some folks may be offended by the material. He was apologetic to both of us, but the damage was done.

Another example was from a fellow slug, who told me she was subject to listening to the detailed account of a murder by a serial killer in an audio book. She said it was one of the worst experiences she ever had.

It concerns me that authors write this garbage, but even more that people listen and read it. If I put any audio book in to my car sound system and found this kind of offensive talk on it, I would stop it immediately. Unfortunately, the drivers above felt they wanted to hear it no matter who was offended.

I would like to see audio books discouraged on this web site because of my own experiences and of others. Whom ever is with me, please post your response.
For now, I am only slugging in the mornings, where I know most of the people. I am no longer slugging in the evenings from the Pentagon.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page