Rejection of ride
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sharron.cook@bis.doc.gov
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  14:53:57  Show Profile
I saw the rule that says "Slugs have the right to pass or forfeit a ride if they do not like a particular car." Does the driver have the right to refuse a slug?

I've been slugging for 26 years. One day I got in a car and the lady had the radio full blast playing an audio book. I asked if she could change the volume or change the speakers so they were up front. She became irate and started yelling at me all the way to Rolling Valley. I refused to engage her and put in my headphones. I know there is a rule about the driver having control over the radio, but this was extreme to the max. In my 26 years, I've never experienced anything like it.

Ever since, she has refused to pick me up.

So I think we should either add the reverse rule that drivers can refuse slugs (which could be on the same grounds that slugs can refuse drivers), or add a rule that slugs are not to ride with drivers that refuse particular slugs.

If you want the benefit of the slug line, then you have to be all in or not at all.

ETC
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  16:51:05  Show Profile
Actually, there are a few people I won't pick up. They are rude and I don't want them in my car. Now, the lady was rude and should have turned down the book or kept something "neutral" on.
Go to Top of Page

blh2
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  12:36:56  Show Profile
Appears that the lady driver was rude and inconsiderate. If I were you I would not want to accept a ride with her, just pass if she pulls up. I am a driver; I believe that I have a right to turn down a rider gettting in my vehicle if I choose, just as I can call an individual out of the line who I prefer to give a ride as stated in the "rules"/"guidelines" for slugging. I try no to be a grouch and would not want to ride with one, we all have enough to contend with in the commute itself as it is.
Go to Top of Page

mpatoka
Senior Member Member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  13:06:11  Show Profile
There are some drivers that specifically ask if the slug is a non-smoker, implying that if you smoke, they won't give you a ride. Yes, it should be able to go both ways.
Go to Top of Page

downtowndcslug

13 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  16:32:47  Show Profile
I would like to refuse rides sometimes but I can't think of a tactful way to do so. There is a particular gentleman that I am thinking of who wears way too much aftershave or cologne and it gets all over my seatbelt and the smell stays in my car for days. Very annoying.
Go to Top of Page

RetiredMarine
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  08:55:35  Show Profile
downtowndcslug you could always say your aftershave gives me a headache I would prefer to pick up someone else. There are a few drivers I will no longer ride with as they txt or view email while driving and there are a few I won't pick up when driving as they smell like a smoke stack.
Go to Top of Page

downtowndcslug

13 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  16:35:52  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion! I also have had drivers who text or check their phone constantly while driving. It's not only dangerous, it's ILLEGAL.
Go to Top of Page

USA
Advanced Member

296 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  12:10:57  Show Profile
It's the driver's car. Ultimately I think any driver can refuse any rider for any reason, just like any rider can refuse any driver for any reason. Doesn't matter if the reason is something other people find objectionable: If a driver wants to say "No blacks," for example, that is his right. But of course it's a lot easier for the slug line members to remember a specific driver because a license plate number and a vehicle description make it quite easy to identify someone, so the driver has to keep in mind that if people find him to be too much of a prick, he'll be driving alone.
Go to Top of Page

VAwitch

44 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  11:04:24  Show Profile
I have had to ask some passengers to get out of the car (before we'd moved, or gone more than the stop sign) - their perfume was triggering my asthma. There is one other lady that I won't pick up for that reason - the one time she came to my car after the intial ride, I had to explain what had happened, and she took it gracefully.
There's another driver/rider who smoke, and I've both passed up her car, and asked her to not ride with me for that reason - both my asthma & the residue triggers my mom's asthma which is worse than mine.

But the OP's driver - yeah, that was just rude.
Go to Top of Page

Atlantis.99

18 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2012 :  00:53:46  Show Profile
There is already a rule that drivers can refuse a ride to a slug.

I always drive and there have been a few occasions over the years where I have asked the slug to take the next ride. Twice was for perfume that i am apparently allergic to and once was because the slug could not get the seat belt on successfully due to their girth.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page