Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Forum Admin

1171 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2013 :  19:11:24  Show Profile
Notification of Public Information Meeting
Springfield CBC Commuter Parking Garage
Project No. ST-000033

The Fairfax County Department of Transportation is conducting a conceptual design study to analyze alternatives for a commuter parking garage at 7039 Old Keene Mill Road, where the county currently owns a surface commuter parking lot.

You are invited to join us for a meeting to discuss this project. The meeting details are as follows:

Wednesday, May 8th, at 7:00 p.m.
Key Middle School Cafeteria
6402 Franconia Road, Springfield, VA 22150

We would appreciate your attendance at this meeting so that we can provide you with information about the project and get your input.

Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request. For information, call the Department of Transportation at 703-877-5600, TTY 711.

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2013 :  08:11:26  Show Profile
I guess the biggest question/issue is, they'd have to close the lot to build the garage. How long would it be closed? Would there be an alternate location for parking, or would I be stuck going back to Rolling Valley?
Go to Top of Page

SpringSlug2

7 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  12:34:04  Show Profile
I would be interested in attending this meeting, but unfortunately I can't make it. If anyone goes, I would love to hear a brief summary of what is discussed!
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  08:26:38  Show Profile
Ok, I attended the meeting. I think I was the only slug who did. There was someone from the Church next door, and the neighborhood that borders the existing lot. If I don't answer a question you have, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

First, the gas station bought the Long John Silver's lot. They are going to demolish everything and build a much bigger station with a 7/11 type store

Now, let me say that my initial thoughts are that this thing needs to be built. However I have several serious concerns. The biggest shock is that the cheapest option for building this garage will cost (wait for it) $45k PER PARKING SPACE. If it were up to me, I think I'd rather have a check, and I'll go back to parking at Rolling Valley. They plan to have 1100 parking spaces, and if they build just the garage, it's $50 million. If they add the sports fields on the upper deck, I think the total is $62 million. A covered walkway over OKM is another $5 million.

Can someone tell me how to attach stuff to posts? I have a PDF of the comment sheet, and I took some pictures of the drawings they had. They stated that the powerpoint presentation would be posted soon (not sure to where).

The trafffic flow into and out of the structure will be a nightmare. There is a nice blind corner that all slug traffic will exit via, as 1100 (potential) cars trying to come in the other way. Also, they want to combine both slug lines (one on either side) right near the entrance. I told them that the existing 14th street line can back up to OKM. They stated that didn't occur on the day they did the survey.

I'll type that again so you don't have to re-read it.

For the slugging system, they studied us....for......ONE DAY!!!!

I told them that slugging WIDELY varies from day to day. I've been slugging for 10 years, and one day (for example this week) there can be 25 people in line, and the next day at the same time there are 5 cars waiting and no one in line. Each time it backs onto OKM, I plan to snap a picture and e-mail it to the VDOT guy.

Construction will take approx 1 year. They don't know what they are going to do with the existing slug lines and parking need at this time.

I asked the question, if everything worked perfectly, no one complained, environmental study was perfect, etc, when's the earliest I'd be driving into this garage. 2017 was the answer.

I'll post the info as soon as I know how. And I'll answer any questions anyone might have.

Edited by - scottt on 05/09/2013 12:56:26
Go to Top of Page

SpringSlug2

7 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  10:34:38  Show Profile
Thanks for the summary! Glad you were there because your concerns sound valid. I'm interested to see how this moves forward.....

A walkway (I don't know if it needs to be covered) over OKM would be great.

Will you be able to get to the garage from both OKM and Amherst Ave/Springfield Blvd (like the current lot)?

Also, are they building this garage mainly for slugs? Or do they expect to have increased bus routes/ridership because of the garage?
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  12:55:14  Show Profile
Yes, the OKM entrance runs through the slug pickup area. The Springfield Blvd entrance runs through the slug exit area (hence the massive potential traffic issues).

Both slugs and buses. They plan on having a 6-8 bus bay area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page