General Slugging Topics
 The future of PRTC
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vistalizzie

10 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  11:40:37  Show Profile
I know that some of us are "hybrids": we are both slugs and bus riders at different times of the day or week. So I thought I'd post this here.

Last night (3/10/15), I attended PRTC's first of 2 public hearings on its budget for FY16 (fare increases and one route eliminated) and for FY17 (big question marks on funding as a reserve fund that has kept services afloat comes to an end). I may have been the only OmniRide person there. Indeed, half of the folks there (maybe 20 total?) were PRTC staff, officials, or the like. I think the other riders were mostly Metro-Direct and OmniLink riders.

Anyway, I asked a few questions and learned a few things:

1. TransUrban is pretty much keeping all of the toll money it is now collecting on the express lanes in VA. You may know this already. The deal with the state of VA means the state has delegated road construction and maintenance to TransUrban (for the next 70 years!!). That company gets to keep the tolls and use that money for said construction/maintenance. VDOT is not getting much (if anything) from the tolls. PRTC Executive Director Alfred Harf explained this to me. He said also that some law enforcement is getting some of the toll money as well (for patrolling the roadway). I was basically about to ask if PRTC could get some of the toll revenue to help with its budget problems. Nada.

2. Harf asked the PRTC ridership last month to send comments to or attend a budget meeting of the PWC Board of Supervisors. I am aware that many of us sent comments on the online system. Don't know about in-person attendance (probably light). Harf said last night that he needs the ridership to continue to post these comments when the Board is meeting on the budget. So I plan to send the appeal for better funding for PRTC on a regular basis, to both my precinct supervisor and the overall Board. Harf said that the BOCS is not currently stressing itself about FY17 and what happens to PRTC then.
So that it is up to us to keep this issue on their radar. The PWC BOCS full 2015 meeting schedule is here: http://www.pwcgov.org/government/bocs/Documents/BOCS%20Meeting%20Schedule.pdf

Finally, the second of the 2 current public hearings PRTC is hosting about the FY16 and FY17 budgets is tomorrow (3/12/15) at 7pm at the Manassas City Hall (9027 Center St, Manassas, VA 20110). For anyone interested and not already in the know.

Hope this is useful.

Edited by - vistalizzie on 03/11/2015 11:43:18
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page