Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Slugging Comments
 Hybrids
 Hybrid Owners You took Over HOV now out web site?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  20:55:00  Show Profile
right, sponge - you just want to help bring about the destruction of the world. Have to get rid of ALL non-alternate fuel vehicles ASAP. Of course, you've been following the scientific evidence as well as the CA lawsuit.

Or maybe you just don't care. I guess you just don't have kids, and figure the world ends when you die anyway.
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  12:16:46  Show Profile
NEWS FLASH: Hybrid gas/electric vehicles SAVE THE PLANET from utter destruction!

In the latest promotional advertisement by automobile manufacturers, they can now promise you Utopia here on Earth IF you would only trash your current vehicle by dropping it off at your county landfill and immmediately call Toyota (1-800-BUY-HYPE) for a hybrid taxi to take you to the nearest Toyota dealership where you will be able to purchase your own Special Edition hybrid entitled: "Utopian Hybridization".

One Toyota marketeer recently intimated a larger plan in which federal law would be make it illegal to drive the majority of existing vehicles currently in use today. His comment: "We do plan for this to be a federal law where we can imprison those who refuse to purchase a hybrid vehicle. I mean, like, you wanna save the whole world, right? Buy a hybrid! We have THE plan!".

Guess we found the Messiah, eh?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Edited by - N_or_S_bound on 09/29/2006 12:46:06
Go to Top of Page

ronin718
Senior Member Member

204 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2006 :  14:53:40  Show Profile
So does that mean Ford and Honda hybrids are not permitted in the AFV lanes?
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  12:53:00  Show Profile
It's similar to all restaurants in the future being called Taco Bell....forget the movie, but the analogy works.

NoSb

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  15:16:45  Show Profile
I think SOV hybrids belong in the bowling lanes, not the HOV lanes.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  08:31:23  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by N_or_S_bound[/i]
[br]It's similar to all restaurants in the future being called Taco Bell....forget the movie, but the analogy works.

NoSb

Demolition Man
Go to Top of Page

TWO

20 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  15:30:17  Show Profile
First, my $0.02. I think the idea behind a hybrid is great. It's a step towards consuming less petroleum. But, it's only a small first step. I think the American consumer is fooled if they think the hybrid is the answer. And judging by their sales, it's true.

Now we move to HOV lane debate. I have to side with the slugs on this one. I've been commuting from Springfield to NW DC for the past 10 years and have seen the HOV lanes getting more and more crowded with hybrids. I know at one time the dealers around here were advertising "buy a hybrid, get in the HOV lanes"!

Let's face it, you pay top dollar for a hybrid car to use it in the HOV lanes. Doesn't that smell like HOT lanes? Yeah, hybrids paid a toll alright. Why can't they pickup slugs? Are they too good for that? Too lazy?

That's great you're doing your part to save the environment, but if you picked up a few riders, you would be doing that much more, while easing the congestion.

Funny how the law was originally written "alternative fuel" vehicles can use HOV, which specifically excluded gasoline. Where does diesel fit into that? That's much more efficient than gas.

I know quite a few people that bought hybrids only for the purpose of saving on their fuel bills and never intended on using HOV lanes. More power to you. I occasionally see hybrids with three people in the car. More power to you. But buying a hybrid solely for the purpose of riding in the HOV? tsk tsk.

Hybrids=HOT
Go to Top of Page

Drive3

16 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  14:30:56  Show Profile
I posted this in the "General" section, but I guess it really belongs with the Hybrid discussions. Here's a small article from today's Potomac News related to 2 VA delegates trying to keep hybrids in the HOV lanes for another year. Depressing!

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN%2FMGArticle%2FWPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354244246&path=!news

Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  15:03:23  Show Profile
From article:

"Exemption applies to all hybrid vehicles on I-66 and those registered after 7-1-2006 on I-395 and I-95"

I'm confused. I thought the VA legislature passed a law that any hybrid bought AFTER 7-1-2006, was required to have carry the requisite no. of people to access HOV lanes. Hybrids purchased between 2000 and 6-30-2006 have the exemption.

At least I have the bill no. to email my delegate who will, once again, send me the empty response that he will "carefully review the bill" and then vote the hybrid exemption be extended another yr.

Go to Top of Page

Drive3

16 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:13:45  Show Profile
Looks like the local media, "Potomac News," is backing the hybrid exemption in HOV for another year. Article is poorly written with no real data, just their opinion. Obviously, they don't drive on 95 or 66, among the SOV hybrids slowing everyone down: http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN/MGArticle/WPN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354265283

Don't get your hopes up HOV'ers. I have a bad feeling that the hybrids will be with us until the HOT lanes are implemented. I just wish those hybrid drivers who claim to care about the environment will take 2 more cars off the road by picking up slugs or setting up their own carpools. Nuff said!
Go to Top of Page

Luddite
Senior Member Member

111 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  16:54:26  Show Profile
Jody,
The POS Potomac News got a fundamental fact wrong (about the exemption) Shocking! No correction so far. Few know this, but the Potomac News is published by students at a little known community college.
Go to Top of Page

TheYeti

14 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  15:00:42  Show Profile
One of my favorite bumper stickers.

"My Jeep is using what your Hybrid is saving."
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:35:36  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by TWO[/i]
[br]Funny how the law was originally written "alternative fuel" vehicles can use HOV, which specifically excluded gasoline. Where does diesel fit into that? That's much more efficient than gas.

Hybrids=HOT

TWO,

I think Bob is going to stop deleting my posts, so I'll try this again. The law to allow hybrids was NOT based on fuel economy, but emissions, which is why diesel doesn't fit. If you read the literature, hybrids similar to the Prius pollute only 20% (a factor of 5x) of similarly sized vehicles, are 15x less polluting than conventional SUVs, and 45x less polluting than Hummers.

At best, you need to be HOV-5 to keep up.
Go to Top of Page

Bob

781 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  12:08:50  Show Profile
No spams, no deletions. As before.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  12:35:33  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by NoSUV[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by TWO[/i]
[br]Funny how the law was originally written "alternative fuel" vehicles can use HOV, which specifically excluded gasoline. Where does diesel fit into that? That's much more efficient than gas.

Hybrids=HOT

TWO,

I think Bob is going to stop deleting my posts, so I'll try this again. The law to allow hybrids was NOT based on fuel economy, but emissions, which is why diesel doesn't fit. If you read the literature, hybrids similar to the Prius pollute only 20% (a factor of 5x) of similarly sized vehicles, are 15x less polluting than conventional SUVs, and 45x less polluting than Hummers.

At best, you need to be HOV-5 to keep up.

Why stop there? Think how green you'll be when you fill up all those empty seats in your hybrid! You'll increase your PMPG effeciency 400%, and you'll take three other cars off the road! You'll reduce traffic congestion, reduce pollution and help your fellow commuters. You could be a REAL hero! But...

No! NoSUV will not carpool, pick up slugs, or do anything but remain ego-centric and vain. NoSUV will ride alone with the windows up (heaven forbid NoSUV should breath any air that is not micro-filtered), NoSUV will point and scowl at carpoolers with cars full of happy commuters, NoSUV will remain indignant and self-important, and NoSUV will criticize. NoSUV is a hypocrit!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page