Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Slugging Comments
 Hybrids
 Hybrid Owners You took Over HOV now out web site?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

CatHerder

22 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  09:37:09  Show Profile
And how does this argument matter? The HOV is becoming HOT so who cares if hybrids stay or go? In the end, either the hybrids will be picking up 3 or paying tolls. In the end, the only thing carpools will be good for is to avoid paying tolls. There will be no time savings, just money savings (as long as carpools remain free that is).

NoSUVs' love affair with his hybrid is his own affair -- and totally unrealistic in the matter of actual gas usage and overall benefit to the environment -- given the extra batteries and such. Also, the cost of tuning up a hybrid is a lot more. They use synthetic gas. Also, their tires are low tread so if you value your life you need to purchase new tires, thus reducing your gas mileage further and costing you significant change. Things that people don't realize when they purchase a hybrid. Rail is the only way to survive the population growth -- Europe, Japan uses rail, why can't the US?
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  08:31:18  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by scottt[/i]
[br]BEEP! Wrong answer. You need to take a look at "like" cars. Not just a "oh let's pick 25mpg"

So, let's use a REAL scenario.

2008 Toyota Prius with VSC $23,710 MSRP, 46 combined mpg. 2008 Toyota Corolla with VSC, $17,360 MSRP, 31 combined mpg.

Gas @ $3.00 a gallon.

Let's assume on the high side for yearly mileage (which helps you). Person drives 15,000 miles a year. $1451.61 in gas for the Corolla, $978.26 for the Prius.

Price difference between the two cars, $6350.00. Difference in yearly gas charges, $473.35. Time to "break even" 13.42 years.

But hey, even if we use your 25mpg number, the "break even" point is still 7.73 years.

Damn! Sign me up for a hybrid!

scottt,
Exactly. You, more than anyone else, have proved my point. We MUST have a non-taxpayer incentive to encourage consumers to purchase the technology to make the environment better. After all, 1/3 of greenhouse emisssions comes from transportation, and hybrids produce less than 20% of those "like" cars.

London is already considering changing from a straight toll charge to enter their city to an emissions based toll. It makes FAR more sense to charge carpools to use express lanes than vehicles which are far better for the environment - which means the air YOU breathe, too.

Seems simple - link FastTrac to VIN. At semi-annual emissions tests, automatically link emissions to VIN. Toll based on emissions. The WHOLE WORLD wins. Even if scottt now has to buy a hybrid.
Go to Top of Page

Pushback
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  11:11:48  Show Profile
Hey NoSuv every time I check this site you are running your mouth about your little man car. Why don't you ID yourself to so we know what a jerk looks like.
Go to Top of Page

Luddite
Senior Member Member

111 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  08:45:06  Show Profile
Catherder,
Exempting HOV3 from HOT is only temporary. This is a myth perpetuated by Fluor to keep folks from going apoplectic. Anyone who bothered to read the proposals would be able to make this inference. Two years ago, your part-time, on-the-take, state legislators refused to expmpt HOV3 from HOT. HOV is finished-killed by hybrid lobbyists and public/private partnerships.
Go to Top of Page

Sami
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  10:24:02  Show Profile
I cant stand those hybrid drivers. They are selfish and drive at the speed of turtle. I think they should ban hybrid drivers from the lanes. They are selfish and slow.

Sami
Commuter of the People
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  15:46:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sami

I cant stand those hybrid drivers. They are selfish and drive at the speed of turtle. I think they should ban hybrid drivers from the lanes. They are selfish and slow.

Sami
Commuter of the People

Welcome to the debate "Sami Commuter of the People." This is a wonderfully intellectual contribution, and quite timely too. Recommend next time that you read some of the back discussions for insights to the topic; it will help to prepare you for the forum. Fight the good fight, SCOTP! And remember, "Never trust anyone over thirty!"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  15:49:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite

Catherder,
Exempting HOV3 from HOT is only temporary. This is a myth perpetuated by Fluor to keep folks from going apoplectic. Anyone who bothered to read the proposals would be able to make this inference. Two years ago, your part-time, on-the-take, state legislators refused to expmpt HOV3 from HOT. HOV is finished-killed by hybrid lobbyists and public/private partnerships.

Now Luddite, that's an impressive string of synical statements, albiet true! So what are we going to do about it?!
Go to Top of Page

Luddite
Senior Member Member

111 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  16:51:35  Show Profile
Nothing anyone can do now except find a way to make some money on the deal. Invest in Fluor or one of the other publicly traded construction companies taking their piece of the $650 million pie. When I was young and idealistic I thought at least some of my elected officials did the bidding of the people. The reality is that taking the oath makes one's moral compass disappear.
Go to Top of Page

winglover1

17 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  20:44:40  Show Profile
If I owned a Hybrid, I would still pick up Slugs. It just makes sense. But if I can't find a rider to go home with, then I an still get the benefit of the HOV. Sweet! Only problem is I don't want another $350 a month car payment... Damn!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Go to Top of Page

winglover1

17 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  21:02:25  Show Profile
Personally I love my SUV, and when I pull my boat or Camper with it, it gets gas mileage that I don't complain about because I chose that lifestyle. True, I don't drive it much with the high price of gas, but when I need the towing, hauling, or people transport features, it does performs very well. This last weekend I had three steamer trunks, 6 plastic tubs of merchandise, and six dell printers and three humans in it. IN IT, not strapped to the roof, or bumper, in it. No freaking way a Prius would haul that load. You would have to make 6 or more trips to Harpers Ferry to get the merchadise there. 50 miles per gallon devided by 6 trips is much less than the 18 Mpg the tank gets on the open highway. It all boils down to what you purchased the vehicle for.... Simple commuting, one or two people? Hybrids make sense. Add the three kids, two dogs, luggage, cooler et, and the vehicle has to be bigger.

When there is three feet of snow, they don't go on the radio and ask Prius owners to take Nurses and Doctors to the Hospitals, they ask us SUV owners to step up. Now if the Doctor just wants a ride so he can leave his BMW or Mercedes SUV in his Garage, I drive away smiling.

Hybrids have their place in the scheme of things, just as SUV's do.

When my Suburban is paid off, I will be buying a hybrid of some sort, just to balance it out. Now if only Toyota made a Hybrid Solara convertible! Yes, I would be first in line! It wouldn't have much of a trunk, but who cares!

When I do get my Hybrid, I will continue to pick up Slugs. It just makes sense! Besides, I enjoy the company!

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2008 :  00:44:19  Show Profile
wing,
What makes NO sense is for you to drive your Suburban for commuting. Even with slugs.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  08:57:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

wing,
What makes NO sense is for you to drive your Suburban for commuting. Even with slugs.

What makes NO sense is that you, a 'non-slug', SOV driver are still hanging around this website harassing us slugs.

Some good advice: Those who say it can't/shouldn't be done, should not criticize those of us who are doing it!

Some more good advice: fill up those seats in your car! As long as you ride SOV, you have no right to criticize those of us ride HOV.
Go to Top of Page

winglover1

17 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  01:44:37  Show Profile
I never said that I use my SUV for commuting. Re-read my post... I have a Toyota Camry that I drive when I have to drive the car in. If for some reason the Camry is in the shop (rare) then I might have to drive the Suburban. But just so you know... It only gets about 4 miles per gallon less than the V6 Camry on the highway and can hold 8 people instead of the five the Camry can carry (tightly). So.... Technically, it should make much MORE sense to take the truck as I could fill it up and make 7 peoples commute... It's all in how you look at it. You must be one of those poor brainwashed people that think that all SUV owners are evil... Sorry pal, not evil, just my choice. Just as you have the rights to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, as do I. What one chooses that brings you happiness is what makes this country great. I have a Camry for the small jobs, and the SUV for the big ones.

Anyway... I rode the motorcycle today and it gets 40 MPG! Twice the Camry, but none of the slugs wanted to get on the back! There is just no pleasing some people.

quote:

wing,

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Go to Top of Page

winglover1

17 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  01:51:07  Show Profile
He doesn't pick up sluggers?
What the freak? Oh, I get it, he just like to Pontificate his views on the masses? Hmmm.... Very suspect.

quote:
Originally posted by raymond

quote:

wing,

What makes NO sense is that you, a 'non-slug', SOV driver are still hanging around this website harassing us slugs.

Some good advice: Those who say it can't/shouldn't be done, should not criticize those of us who are doing it!

Some more good advice: fill up those seats in your car! As long as you ride SOV, you have no right to criticize those of us ride HOV.

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Go to Top of Page

Flyby
Average Member

52 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  16:46:23  Show Profile
Excuse me for not reading through all the previous postings but has anyone else gotten the impression that newer hybrids (those purchased after 7/1/06) that weren't supposed to be eligible for the exempted 'clean fuel' tags with the emblem on the left are showing up WITH those tags? I've seen models of hybrids that I know are less than two years old and they have the old clean fuel tags enabling them to use the HOV lanes without 3 occupants. Are the dealers getting away with letting new purchasers use their old hybrid tags on their new vehicles? How closely does DMV monitor this? Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Flyby

Flyby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page