Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:08:23  Show Profile
Not a whiner at all, but if the shoe fits...
Do we all agree that things are not good the way they are?
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:23:47  Show Profile
Good point Penny! (that is, in the form of a question).

More people per vehicle (pick your poison, er, type of vehicle) WILL remove vehicles from the mix which provides all kinds of additional benefits.

They can't build enough roads for everyone to ride SOV like we, as Americans, have a propensity to do.

HOV-2 only adds more vehicles to the road.

HOV-4, which wasn't considered during discussions surrounding HOT, seems a more logical choice. Even HOV-40 makes more sense although it will require a really big influx of bus companies to absorb what HOV-3 currently carries. Whole nuther set of issues with HOV-40 that would need to be explored too...

One observation, a hybrid traveling SOV at any time does nothing to reduce congestion which increases emissions and complicates parking problems.

With your permission, I'd like to refer back to one of your earliest posts concerning something to the effect of being "upwardly mobile". There are lots of people who need to travel daily who aren't "upwardly mobile" (by many different understandings of the definition). Many of these need to slug. Many of them don't read this website, they're too busy doing many of the "less mobile" tasks that need to occur to make things work around here. Many are on hourly wages and only get paid when on the clock. Granting them a bit of grace in their quandry, which is all about getting to work on time, would seem to be the order of the day.

Things can be better, agreed. Just not sure SOV hybrids and HOV-2 will result in those. Convince me.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  15:17:51  Show Profile
NoSB, you are wasting your time. PennyP hasn't thought about these issues long enough to form a considered opinion. HOV-2? More lanes?

Time spent arguing these points is time we could spend drinking.

Now, PennyP asked, "Do we all agree that things are not good the way they are?"

And the answer is: No, we do not all agree that things are not good.

We have the world's BEST HOV SYSTEM. It moves More People, Faster, Farther, and with Less Eco-Impact, than any other form of transportation in our region.

Those are facts you can find in VDOT's December 2005 report.

Can we make the carpool lanes even more efficient? Yes.

How? Try HOV-4, more and bigger and better designed commuter lots, a PR campaign to encourage carpooling and busriding, more Omniride routes, later and earlier Omniride routes, subsidized Omniride routes, state-subsidized vanpools, longer hours for HOV, tax-incentives for carpoolers, better and more frequent policing, and so on.

Oh, we have plenty of ideas around here.

My personal favorite is the re-striping of Horner Road to allow for at last another 300-500 cars. Easy to do and cheap.

You were saying, PennyP?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  15:25:19  Show Profile
Sponge,
Are you some sort of seer? How do you know how long I have thought about these topics? Your ignorance and arrongance don't amaze me, they just annoy me!

If things were so good, then why do you have suggestions to change/improve them? Obviously they could be better if you offer suggestions to improve them. Think before thy type!

PS, Your attempts at humiliation and bullying WILL NOT WORK ON ME! Perhaps they work on others here, but OOOPS, not me.

Edited by - PennyPrius on 08/31/2006 15:30:55
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  15:36:24  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by SpongeBob[/i]
[br]Periodically, PennyP, we have a new troll like you who shows up to tell us how selfish we are for carpooling and "keeping the lanes for ourselves."

These new trolls often use the "U" word: under-utilized.

It is the dead giveaway that we are talking to a Toll Road Troll. Would you happen to be an employee of one of the companies that wants to make money by stealing the taxpayer-built carpool lanes on I95?

Your arguments are invalid and have been refuted on this board so many times over the years that we have little left but scorn to heap on your anti-carpooling mentality.

I own a Hybrid, I live in PW County, I ride the HOV lanes during restricted hours on occaison. Would I slug if I did it daily? perhaps. Do you slug or drive? I am sorry I don't know your backround as far as commuting goes. I admit, I am new to posting here. I am not a troll, nor an employee of any HOT LANE company. Just an average Joe who is glad they don't commute daily in this region.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  16:29:42  Show Profile
Hey Sponge! If we have the "world's BEST HOV SYSTEM," then why do we have almost the worst commuting time in the country? Could it be that (gasp) we have the WORST HOV SYSTEM?

Perhaps if the slugging system never caught on, then we WOULD have a comprehensive transportation solution that would not only work now, but for the next decade as well.

There are numerous regions in the US with a greater population density. They don't use a slug system, and they have shorter commuting times. Hmmm.
Go to Top of Page

SlugsB1tch2Much
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  17:10:30  Show Profile
*sigh*
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  17:26:53  Show Profile
Really, SB2M.

All you can do is laugh.
Go to Top of Page

SlugsB1tch2Much
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  19:05:56  Show Profile
Yep, I feel like the name of the thread should be:
"Idiots Who Miss the Point About Every Aspect of Commuting in Northern Virginia: A Case Study of PennyPrius et al."

Edited by - SlugsB1tch2Much on 08/31/2006 19:06:42
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  23:50:53  Show Profile
It just gets better!
When someone makes a valid point all you can do is "sigh" or make stupid snide remarks. Oh, I forgot, if it isn't your opinion, then it isn't. This ones for you Spongie and Slugbit!
Go to Top of Page

SlugsB1tch2Much
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  00:42:54  Show Profile
What is valid about your point? You have no quantitative data that directly supports the notion that HOV-2 would in fact alleviate congestion nor do you have any quantitative data that directly supports the notion that the HOV lane is underutilized. What are we to believe? PennyPrius' experience driving herself to work? You and many others are the same, you use weasel words and make unsubstatiated claims. Trust me, this idea of yours isn't original, many other dumbasses concocted the same points. Valid my ass.
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  07:56:06  Show Profile
Ok, y'all sold me. Trolls abound in this thread.

the ones who sold me aren't the reliable posters of old, the ones who convinced me are the posters who are indeed trolls...I too sigh at this point...

The best thing about slugging is it WORKS no matter how many politicians, car companies, tollroad administrators, misled hybrid zealots pile on to tell us of the "dangers" (huh, what dangers?) and the wrong-headedness of riding in a "stranger's" vehicle. Slugging WORKS, period.

Less cars, less pollution, less parking challenges, quicker commutes, more interesting people met, the list goes on.

Slugging works.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:24:51  Show Profile
I have never stated that slugging is bad at all. I feel from observation on my part that the HOV lanes are under utilized and that there is way too much congestion on the regular lanes.

That being said, I think that in order to alleviate some of the congestion on the regular lanes, something needs to be done. Many of the regular lane drivers perhaps have valid reasons for not being able to slug (which is a wonderful concept)I am sure the reasons are as varied as the drivers. I would even venture to say that some of the reasons are selfishness, lack of concern for the environment and more, but some of it has to do with timing or where these folks work.

So, I think that something needs to be done. Without building more roads, in other words using the assets we have, we should be able to come up with a solution(s). Staggered work hours, making the HOV lanes available to more people, improving mass transit options,etc.

That is all I have been saying inbetween defending myself from the 2 or 3 of you who are predators on this site and attack anyone who dares have differing or already discussed views.

This medium is wonderful to have, but not everyone got here the first day, week or year it began so discussions will likely be repeated time and again. Sorry for your lack of patience. Perhaps that is why you all are so protective of maintaining the HOV-3 rules. No patience.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:52:26  Show Profile
Gee, no valid response? Let me post it again:

If we have the "world's BEST HOV SYSTEM," then why do we have almost the worst commuting time in the country? Could it be that (gasp) we have the WORST HOV SYSTEM?

Perhaps if the slugging system never caught on, then we WOULD have a comprehensive transportation solution that would not only work now, but for the next decade as well.

There are numerous regions in the US with a greater population density. They don't use a slug system, and they have shorter commuting times. Hmmm.
Go to Top of Page

sluDgE

1563 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  10:00:41  Show Profile
>>> Reply moved to general section <<<

Edited by - sluDgE on 09/01/2006 10:51:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page