Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:42:54  Show Profile
Please don't ask NoSUV to cough up anything! God knows what we'll end up with.

The high-bred extension served its purpose, and I think it was a good thing to have. It did encourage people to buy an expensive vehicle they might not have splurged on otherwise.

But the need for that incentive is now gone. People are snapping up hybrids across the country, without ANY carpool lanes exemptions, simply because of gas prices. And the manufacturers are now promoting the vehicles left and right.

Between gas prices and the power of advertising, high-breds are the new SUV's of our time -- soon Toyota or Honda or somebody is going to announce that their entire fleet is available in hybrid form.

So let's not bash hybrids -- let's promote carpooling.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  13:20:32  Show Profile
Agreed. I have always restricted my bashing to SOV hybrids and psudo-eco, and egocentric high-bred drivers. As I have said many times, I am neutral on the product, its the loose nuts behind the wheel that deserve our bashing.

Carpooling rules! We need to look at these discussions from a Passenger MPG / emmissions per passenger comparison perspective. That is really embarrassing for SOV hybrid drivers (who thought they could just buy their way to eco-consciousness without doing anything positive). And there is the argument in favor of HOVs! Of course we carpoolers knoew it all along!
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  08:00:40  Show Profile
raymond - you still need to account for ALL miles.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  10:08:26  Show Profile
I will when you do! Remember, your hybrid burns gas too.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2006 :  22:24:09  Show Profile
Oh, but I have accounted for the mpg and emissions both commuting and non commuting - you are the one who won't because the hybrid advantage is so obvious.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  14:46:34  Show Profile
Hybrid advantage? Hmmmmm, oh you mean for the auto dealer! Yea, when people pay extra for an inferior product with obsolete technology it really is an advantage for hybrid dealers. You go right ahead and do what you want, its a free country, but keep you nose out of my trunk! And keep your SOV hybrid off the HOV lanes; get eco-smart and pick up some carpoolers!
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  14:56:00  Show Profile
raymond - thanks for proving my point better than I could ever do by myself. What you've shown is that the mpg and emissions when considering both commuting and non-commuting mileage favors hybrids.
Appreciate the assistance.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  15:08:36  Show Profile
Wait, your idiocy is running rampant and I can't keep up.

Please explain it again to me how 100 PMPG (25MPG carpooler with 4 passengers) is less efficient that a 40 MPG SOV hybrid. Even if HOV commuting accounts for only 1/2 of my total miles (and dad's taxi service adds many, many more HOV miles), that still puts my PMPG at at least 50. Last I heard 50 is still more than 40 (if you get 40 SOV MPGs).

You're a loose nut behind the wheel!
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  15:14:00  Show Profile
4 passengers? I guess you always take a 3rd. You, though, are in the minority, based on postings in the general comments sections. And commuting takes up 1/2 of your miles? Either you are rich and fly everywhere or you never go anywhere. Again, you are in the minority. No surprise. And your taxi service is more than mine? Could be - but I doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  15:20:45  Show Profile
I rode in with four today and every day last week. You?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  15:26:31  Show Profile
20 miles one way, 40 miles roundtrip daily = 200 miles per week, or 10,000 miles per year. Hypothetically, I would drive about 14,000 miles a year. So HOV4 commuting would take up about 2/3 of my total miles. But since these days I usually ride, I drive about 10 miles per day round trip to the commuter lot, and taxi my kids around on the weekends for a total of about 4-5000 miles per year, about half HOV. You?
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  15:34:04  Show Profile
Prius is 4 years old: 77,000 miles. No hypothetical about it, it averages to over 19,000 miles per year. Commute is 20 miles each way. Using your calculations, that's 10,000 miles per year. My average is 45 mpg for all of those 77,000 miles. Of course, the 9,000 miles per year NOT spent in commuting generally have at least one passenger, but no need to use that. What did you say the year and mileage was on your car?
Go to Top of Page

LDOMAJ
Senior Member Member

145 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  15:45:25  Show Profile
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather> than illumination."> -- Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  18:28:33  Show Profile
I still say the argument over HOV is more convenience than ecology. The HOV lanes ease congestion and conserve fuel at the same time, slugs or not.

Cars get better fuel economy when they are running and moving as opposed to sitting and idling in traffic. Allowing (for now) hybrids an exemption is easing congestion, increasing total fuel economy of any given rush hour (although not as much as carpooling does) and is good for the environment. 3 people in a 15 MPG vehicle is 45 MPG same as in a SOV hybrid. It doesn't ease the congestion issue but it is a wash for MPG.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:21:17  Show Profile
Illumination!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page