Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

CatHerder

22 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  16:54:05  Show Profile
From the discussion of dumping batteries, I was wondering where ALL the car batteries go, not just the hybrids'. I also found out that Virginia has statutes that state the batteries have to be recycled to X%. I'm not sure Maryland has the same statute. Probably this won't make the repair shop dispose of an old battery correctly, but hopefully they will.
Go to Top of Page

CatHerder

22 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  16:56:02  Show Profile
November 2005
ConsumerReport.org
Dispose of old car batteries properly

Forty-three states now prohibit old car batteries from landfills and incinerators, to keep their harmful lead out of the waste stream, according to the Battery Council International, an industry trade group. Nearly 40 of those states also require retailers and distributors to collect used batteries from consumers for recycling (visit the Battery Council International’s Web site, atwww.batterycouncil.org/states.html to view details for your state). You can help the recycling effort by leaving your old battery where you buy your new one. Many battery retailers also accept one or two old car batteries even if you don’t buy your new one there. Alternatively, you might be able to leave your old car batteries at a hazardous-materials collection center; your state’s environmental protection department or your municipality should help you find one.
Go to Top of Page

Bob

781 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  19:01:21  Show Profile
Isn't it an amazing coincidence that all of the postings that support NoSuv are from brand new members? Really incredible!
Go to Top of Page

CatHerder

22 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  09:40:57  Show Profile
Nope don't support NoSUV. Just say NO to NoSUV's crazy notion that toll roads are a good idea. BUT the talk made me look into what does happen to batteries from all cars. Remember too that there are two types of batteries out there and likely to be more as they try to move away from lead batteries that are in the average car. So it does raise the question of pollution and how is this being handled by the auto makers. In general.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  10:22:53  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob[/i]
[br]Isn't it an amazing coincidence that all of the postings that support NoSuv are from brand new members? Really incredible!

Bob, Does that mean that you are also raymond and slugjo?
Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  14:19:56  Show Profile
Jody here again. I agree with Scott's post re: Hybrids in the regular lanes. If the issue is to ease congestion (less cars) on roads, the HOV lanes should be for cars that carry 3 or more occupants. Hybrids should be required to pick up at least one rider to access the HOV lanes.

JMO. Flame away if you want.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  15:23:01  Show Profile
Jody - as you've noticed, the congestion in the express lanes is insignificant compared to the congestion in the regular lanes. And I'm sure you're aware of the concerns about global warming, and how a significant portion comes from cars. What you may not know is that only 1.7% of all vehicles in 2005 were hybrids. VA used to be one of the few states interested in protecting the earth for subsequent generations by providing a non-financial non-taxpayer supported incentive for people to buy hybrids instead of vehicles causing so much damage to the environment.

Many, scottt being one of them, have complained on this board that the cost of a hybrid vehicle is too much for them to voluntarily help the world of the future. Imagine the demand for hybrids if they were the ONLY vehicles allowed in the express lanes! What would happen to the commute? Eventually, mass transit will be both used more and be more effective (is that a bad thing?) and more private vehicles in use for BOTH commuting and non-commuting would emit fewer greenhouse gases (also a positive).

The question comes down to what is more important: your selfishness or saving the world.
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  09:59:32  Show Profile
Jody,

What some espouse as a "solution" to the MANY challenges associated with the Northern VA commutes is to restrict the HOV lanes to busses and SOV hybrids thus ensuring that the greatest number of people (slugs and drivers thereof plus carpoolers) are inconvenienced to the benefit of the least number of people (SOV hybrid drivers). This is somewhat akin to the many alternative government systems in the world that make sure the masses are ensuring a luxurious way of life for the elites.

Welcome to the board. Realize some folks postings are worth responding to. Yours was since you're new and realize the MANY challenges associated with commuting in NOVA and apply a common sense approach to moving the greatest number of people in the least time, thus achieving an all around feasible solution for the majority---much as a democratic form of government should work.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Edited by - N_or_S_bound on 10/13/2006 09:59:58
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  12:23:51  Show Profile
Thanks NoSb, for stating in your usual eloquence, that a solution must be widely applicable or it will not be successful. Forcing everyone to buy a hybrid, or to ride a bus to save gas is about as realistic as forcing everyone to wear a hemp halter top (which NoSUV may actually look good in, but I certainly would not) to save the soil. Forcing anyone to do any one thing is not only unrealistic, it is by definition radical, and down-right communist!

For a solution to be successful it must be widely accepted, and in order for it to be widely accepted it must require small behavioural changes from adopters. Few car buyers can rationalize the several thousand dollar hybrid premium against dubious ROI estimates in gas savings, and a debatable ecological cost/benefit argument.

Hybrids require a huge change in personal economics, a buyer's leap of faith in the technology, and a tremendous amount of trust in hybrid marketers. None of these are small behavioural adjustments! I'm not surprised that hybrid buyers defend their buying decisions with such zeal, they have a lot riding on it! But that does not make the rest of the population wrong for not accepting these terms. In the USA, we have the right to be cautious and make decisions that differ from our neighbor. Respect our differences, and we may just return the favor!
Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  14:41:56  Show Profile
Hi North or South Bound. As you can see, No SuV had a problem with my suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  15:32:56  Show Profile
It still comes down to which is more important: your inconvenience or negatively changing the environment (and the world as we know it). We probably won't live long enough to see the damage we've done - the next generations will have to deal with it. It sort of seems like trying to tell teenagers to stop smoking because of what it will eventually do to them - they don't see it happening to them right then, so it's not a concern.

We have a chance to do the right thing right now. Buying a hybrid is the first major step that everyone can do. Why don't they? raymond can come up with many excuses - just like a teenager smoking - and nearly all of them are errors in fact - also like a smoker.

What will your children or grandchildren say about you when the earth heats up past the point of no return? It wasn't worth the price at the time?
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  08:16:30  Show Profile
NoSUV,

I'm more than happy to buy a Hybrid. Will you feed and clothe my children?

Edited by - scottt on 10/16/2006 08:18:11
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  13:34:05  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by scottt[/i]
[br]NoSUV,

I'm more than happy to buy a Hybrid. Will you feed and clothe my children?

Sell your computer - you have more than enough money.
Go to Top of Page

darkprime
Senior Member Member

195 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  13:50:37  Show Profile
Selling his computer will only get him $100-300 on average. That can feed his kids for what, 2-6 weeks? But if he sells his computer, it will be harder for him to search for a deal on a hybrid, thus possibly requiring him to spend even more.

Ever think about this: the reason why some people slug is due to the cost? I know some people who slug simply because it's the only transit option they can afford.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  15:41:10  Show Profile
If so, they are in the wrong location. Who in their right mind moves someplace where they can't afford to get to their workplace? Oh, a slug.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page