Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Deanwvu

24 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  17:13:46  Show Profile
All electric vehicles are coming, hopefully within 2 years. Heck, if I lived in SoCal, I would be getting one in the next 6-12 months.

Who will be getting one? All you hybrid owners gonna trade up?

toomuchcoffeelady
Senior Member Member

197 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  13:30:51  Show Profile
You have to check with your riders to make sure it's OK for you to trade in your car...

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
Go to Top of Page

Deanwvu

24 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  13:45:37  Show Profile
Hahaa

My sarcasm detector is pinging away!
Go to Top of Page

toomuchcoffeelady
Senior Member Member

197 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  16:44:58  Show Profile
No really, someone started a thread awhile back asking for feedback in "what kind of car is comfortable for slugs to ride in the backseat?"

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  09:23:17  Show Profile
Where do I sign up to get one?

Now this is a technology I can get behind; they are blazing fast, no pollution, cost only about $1. per charge, and with modern battery tech they can get 2 - 300 miles per charge. Has anyone seen the Tesla? Not a prototype, but a small electric car manufacturer that builds these for today's driver! True, the are only produced in small amounts (for now) and they are about $100,000. each, but mass production will solve both of those problems.

Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  13:02:35  Show Profile
Years ago, I asked a friend about buying a hybrid and he advised against buying one. He had been following the technology and said auto manufacturers would be building a new hybrid and the older ones would lose their classification as a hybrid. He said the only way owners of older hybrids could keep their classification would be to replace the engine. He said that would be very $$$$.

Go to Top of Page

Deanwvu

24 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2008 :  09:14:56  Show Profile
The Tesla, unfortunately, is a rich man's toy at the moment.

They are coming out with a reasonably priced 4 seater sedan type in the next few years (reasonable is around $40k).

My favorite is this 2 seater:

www.aptera.com

But, it is only available in Southern California, where all new auto tech apparently goes to be born.

This Mitsubishi will be more likely to come to DC:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/special/ev/index.html
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  15:18:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Years ago, I asked a friend about buying a hybrid and he advised against buying one. He had been following the technology and said auto manufacturers would be building a new hybrid and the older ones would lose their classification as a hybrid. He said the only way owners of older hybrids could keep their classification would be to replace the engine. He said that would be very $$$$.

While you've been waiting, I've logged over 100K miles on my hybrid. Did you see the article about how Mont. County replaced 1/2 of their fleet with hybrids? Stats showed that the hybrids had more miles but used 1/3 the gas for tremendous savings.

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal! Still, there are those who continue to wait. And wait.
Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  12:20:30  Show Profile
My current car is 10 yrs old and due to commuting in the slug line, it still doesn't have a 100,000 miles on it. I'd say that's excellent mileage and saving wear & tear on my car.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  16:51:56  Show Profile
So, are you one of those rider only slugs that there's so much angnst against in the General topic area? One of those that some call selfish?
Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:41:49  Show Profile
I drive one day a week and slug in the other four days. You could pick up riders to help commuters get to work and thereby reduce the number of cars on the road, but you choose to ride alone in HOV. Your way of commuting fits the definition of selfish than my way.
Go to Top of Page

Pele
Advanced Member

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2008 :  20:42:47  Show Profile
Electric vehicles are old news. In 1996, GM released the EV1, and as of 2003 began taking them back and crushing them all for scrap metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdUfAEIEos
http://ev1-club.power.net/

Not that I think electric vehicles are the best idea, but they're a good stepping stone provided we get our power from a good source, They're better than hybrids.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  08:25:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

Electric vehicles are old news. In 1996, GM released the EV1, and as of 2003 began taking them back and crushing them all for scrap metal.

This thread was old news until you brought it back to life.
Go to Top of Page

toomuchcoffeelady
Senior Member Member

197 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  14:30:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal!

I paid $1.61/gal for gas the other day...
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  10:37:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

If only the US had replaced 1/2 of its "fleet" (all consumer vehicles) with hybrids. Why, we'd have gas back to <$2/gal!

I paid $1.61/gal for gas the other day...

Just think - it could be <$.50 if everyone in the US traded in their conventional vehicle for a hybrid. i/3 of any cost translates to 2/3 savings.
Go to Top of Page

toomuchcoffeelady
Senior Member Member

197 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2008 :  12:50:46  Show Profile
NoSUV, I still can't figure out which you are, a shill for VDOT or a shill for hybrid cars. Either way you're annoying.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page