Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oosik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Enforcement
    Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 8:21am
Due to a job change I have not used HOV or slugging as of late. However, I have noticed that while driving by the Springfield HOV exit in the morning that the police are now routinely there on the off ramp to catch the scofflaws who abuse the HOV system. It is not that uncommon to see three or four vehicles stacked up waiting for their ticket or to even have a flatbed picking up a vehicle. Most of the drivers appear to be upset -- at the police, not at their stupidity for driving on HOV in violation of the rules but then I am speculating.

Has there been ANY enforcement at the Pentagon exit where many violators exit? I think Virginia could probably pay a good portion of their road expenses just by monitoring that exit.

Remember that HOV stands for "High Occupancy Vehicle" not "hybrid occupied vehicle." It will be a better day when the hybrids are off the HOV and either transporting slugs or in the stop and go traffic that actually makes their vehicle more fuel efficient.

slugcarrier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugcarrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 9:32am
They have done it before, but it has been 2-3 years. I prefer they not do it there. The problem is there is very little shoulder at the exit ramp, and zero room at the bottom. It backs exit ramp traffic all the way back to Shirlinton. More trouble than benefit.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 2:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by Oosik

Remember that HOV stands for "High Occupancy Vehicle" not "hybrid occupied vehicle." It will be a better day when the hybrids are off the HOV and either transporting slugs or in the stop and go traffic that actually makes their vehicle more fuel efficient.

It will be a MUCH better day if/when the HOV lanes stand for Hybrid Only Vehicle - and mass transit. IF the lanes were labled such:
- The region air quality would be improved by 30%
- The demand for gas would drop significantly (Montgomery County switched about 50% of their fleet to hybrids and realized gas savings over over 1/3 from those hybrids, even though they had slightly more mileage)

The BEST day is when slugging is outlawed and commuters stop stealing from the transportation fund, as well as remove vehicles from the trasportation grid.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 3:17pm
The troll emerges from hibernation! When those like NoSUV/YesSOV decide to fill those empty seats, many of these problems will improve. Fill those seats or practice what you preach and ride a bus!
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 3:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

quote:
Originally posted by Oosik

It will be a MUCH better day if/when the HOV lanes stand for Hybrid Only Vehicle - and mass transit. IF the lanes were labled such:
- The region air quality would be improved by 30%
- The demand for gas would drop significantly (Montgomery County switched about 50% of their fleet to hybrids and realized gas savings over over 1/3 from those hybrids, even though they had slightly more mileage)

The BEST day is when slugging is outlawed and commuters stop stealing from the transportation fund, as well as remove vehicles from the trasportation grid.

Whatever...

It will be better when you single Hybrid drivers finally adhere to HIGH Occupancy rules like Mass transit.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 12:09pm
Oosik,
I'm always surprised at the number of drivers getting stopped daily at the Springfield exit. They've had enforcement there almost daily for how many years now. The same with the Dale City morning on-ramp. Like slugcarrier said, I haven't seen it enforced in quite some time either and attribute it just to the traffic flow there. It would be a prime location to pick up cheaters. I think the last time I saw someone there, they were making sure people didn't turn it into a 2-lane left turn and made people turn right if you were in the right lane.

sLugLiFe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sLugLiFe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2008 at 3:05pm
About time the trolls came out from hibernation. Here trolli trolli....
Leatherneck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 6:59pm
I haven't posted in a while, but I see the troll is still here pushing his stupid memes.

A checkpoint at the Pentagon would be a disaster! We always have to fight the buses that block the intersection, the people who don't know what a stop sign means, and the clueless who don't understand that it's a two-lane exit ramp. Please don't encourage Virginia's finest to check HOV abusers at the Pentagon!

TC
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 10:54am
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUVThe BEST day is when slugging is outlawed and commuters stop stealing from the transportation fund, as well as remove vehicles from the trasportation grid.

Still not grasping the whole "this is a free market/free country and people have the right to commute any way they choose" I see....

It will be a better day when you take your ridiculous accusations against us sluggers (how the F are we stealing) and cram them.

ain't free speech a wonderful thing, until you don't like the views being stated? - Ceejay2
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 9:12pm
Well, we have speed cameras and red light cameras...

I propose HOV cameras.

Think about this:

How long are HOV lanes in effect?
6-9 AM and 3-6 PM... That's six hours.

Set up cameras on flyovers, bridges, sign scaffolding, and other overhead HOV structures.

Pay someone to watch the video and see if the proper Clean Fuel tags are displayed or if there are the correct number of occupants in the vehicle... If not, pause the video, run plates, and mail ticket... Simple as that.

I'm pretty sure that not only will this video watcher's salary get paid, but the revenue will increase tenfold or violations will disappear almost completely.

Now, how to punish those pulled over for riding singleton in the HOV lanes...

My first idea was to shoot them... But a corpse can't pay for the fine, nor can a corpse be converted to a slug driver the following day...

The better solution is to take the keys from them.

When can they get them back?
When it's legal to drive single again. If you get caught at 8:50 AM going north or 5:50 PM going south, no biggie... If you've gotten caught right at the beginning of HOV, you better call and say you're going to be late.

Obviously they have to pay the fine to get their keys back. The revenue goes to the transportation fund.

If they leave the car unattended there and go to work via another means, the car gets towed and impounded and there's more revenue for the state.

All funds go to double decking I-95 between Dumfries and the 14th street bridge... Four lanes on the ground, four lanes above for eight lanes in each direction...

Or just extending MetroRail to Dumfries, that'll work too.

Who's with me? Elect me for state transportation budget czar...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic