Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kids in the slug line at 234

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanansidhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kids in the slug line at 234
    Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 12:48pm
For at least the past week, there have been several children using the Pentagon slug line at the 234 lot...two middle/high school aged girls, a high school aged boy, and an elementary school aged girl. They walk up from 234 around 0530; seems they're going to school out of the county (one was wearing her school shirt the other day) and using the slug line to get there. They don't always end up in the same car (the first day I saw them, the older ones left the youngest by herself in line).

Does this bother anyone else? On days I drive I normally pick up from a different lot so it's not an issue, but there's no chance I'd let minors- particularly the youngest one, who MIGHT be 10- in my car. I called the non-emergency police number and they took a report, but seemed at a loss as to who to report it to or whether it was something they needed to look into at all.

What say you, fellow sluggers? Are drivers to become babysitters on top of being chauffeurs? Are you concerned about liability? Should we just stand by and let our limited ride spaces be taken up by kids who are 'too good' to take the bus?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 1:28pm
Dude... That's creepy as ****.

My wife's going to have our kid in a few months and I'm considering additional firearms to keep around should anyone get near them... Let alone WILLINGLY allowing them to get into a stranger's car.

On top of the child endangerment, isn't allowing your children to attend school outside of their district fraud of some type.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Leanansidhe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanansidhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 4:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by Pele

On top of the child endangerment, isn't allowing your children to attend school outside of their district fraud of some type.

Yes, it is, if the primary physical custodian has them more than 51% of the time. A lot of divorced/separated parents think it's ok to go out of district if one parent has a 1-bedroom apartment in town and joint legal custody, but it's not. And considering the kids are walking up 234 at 0530, chances are slim they have a 50/50 physical custody split with someone who lives in Fairfax County.

Glad I'm not the only one thinking WTF.
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 5:46am
Maybe the police should be notified? Or Social Services?
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:22am
According to Child Protective Services, there can be no report generated until the identity of the children are known, which is obviously impossible form my vantage point of seeing this posting on this website.

According to the Prince William County website, you were correct in calling the non-emergency number. Continue to call every day you see the children there and stress the urgency that this is unsafe for the children.

Also, note the VA Child Abuse hotline number at the top of the web page:

http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=010009000800004661

Times to beat:
Leanansidhe View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanansidhe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:23am
quote:
Originally posted by ETC

I did call the non-emergency number (see the end of my second paragraph), but haven't seen any follow up (no police drive by, and the kids have been there every day this week at the same time). Would social services be interested? They're clothed nicely, have high end electronics, are clean/groomed well.. I doubt it would even remotely ping the services' radar. But I'm happy to make the call if concensus is that I should and it would make a difference.
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:41am
It's either that or wait until one of them turns up missing. I don't know. Maybe no one should offer them rides. I don't think I would. My first response would be "Honey, where's your parents?" My concern would be that they are traveling off a beaten path for a student -- are they coming into the city to attend one of the private schools? If so, why not Metro? I see a lot of teenagers commuting to and from the private high schools in DC, like Gonzaga.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 8:41am
quote:
Originally posted by Leanansidhe

quote:
Originally posted by ETC

I did call the non-emergency number (see the end of my second paragraph), but haven't seen any follow up (no police drive by, and the kids have been there every day this week at the same time). Would social services be interested? They're clothed nicely, have high end electronics, are clean/groomed well.. I doubt it would even remotely ping the services' radar. But I'm happy to make the call if concensus is that I should and it would make a difference.

You think that Child Protective Services only responds to starving kids or kids that are shivering in tattered clothes and no jackets in the cold?

Child Protective Services can be called to plenty of affluent households whom leave their 10 yr old home alone longer than an hour and a half.

The more people who directly witnesses this and call, the more likely it is that something will be done.

Times to beat:
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 9:21am
Try contacting the local media. Shed a little light on this might stop this before something bad happens.
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 11:45am
The police have talked to these kids earlier this week. Two of the kids are 20 years old and work/go to college and the youngest is always with one of them. Who are we to say who can and cannot use the slug lines? They are a struggling displaced family and are trying to continue to get to school and work. I don't think they think they are too good to take the bus but use the slug-lines as more of a cost saving factor for them. Why would your liability increase more if its a younger person rather than an older person, I would think it would be the same. Since when is slugging proprietary - i.e. "YOUR RIDES". I have slugged with my young son on several occasions. Are they being disruptive, rude, disrespectful? Are they harming anyone?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic