FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrid CX Plates?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Johnny Cakes View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Cakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 4:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]2-rotor W a n k e l that's in the normal car. (The name of the engine is spaced out because the board software censored the first four letters.)

LOL!! Felix would be so proud.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 11:40am
I believe that DMV erred with some of their policies on the clean fuel plates. First, the clean fuel plate should have been a very distintive color or something that can be identified from a long ways away for enforcement. Second, they may not have thought things through in that the CF designation would be tapped out and they would have to have a new designation. Third, clean fuel vehicles should not be allowed to have vanity tags. Why? Because there is a reason to have the CF designation stay on the plate.. For enforcement.
Bob
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2004 at 9:21am
the last two characters on the plate make no difference, it's the symbol on the left and the writing that says "clean special fuel" that grants the exception. Funny that gasoline powered hybrids don't qualify for "clean special fuel" plates according to the rules quoted above.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:56pm
BTW, there is also such a thing as a "bi-fuel" vehicle. Someone who gets a vehicle retrofitted for CNG can also have it fitted to run on either the CNG or regular gasoline. (This further shows that it's not a special engine.) Mazda recently demoed an RX-8 that runs on either gas or hydrogen using the same 2-rotor W a n k e l that's in the normal car. (The name of the engine is spaced out because the board software censored the first four letters.)

The rub, and the reason why people do not bi-fuel very much around here, is that bi-fuel vehicles are not eligible for the CF tag and the HOV exemption. (Think about why--if you got a bi-fuel and the CF tag, why would you go to the trouble of going out of your way to fill up with CNG when you could just go to your corner Exxon and fill up there?)
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:53pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]So I could get a Hummer, modify the engine, get the tags and drive solo? Cool...

Yup! Or how about a CNG Ferrari? I bet getting Ferrari of Washington to repair that would be difficult, though.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 3:02pm
So I could get a Hummer, modify the engine, get the tags and drive solo? Cool...

Of course I wouldn't, because if I were to get a Hummer, I'd make sure I carried at least 2 other people - a top gunner, and maybe a ball turret gunner so I could take out the HOV violators, left lane drivers, cell phone talkers, etc... :)

Happy weekend all.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by Subaru
[br]And to run these fuels, you need special engines.

Almost any vehicle can be retrofitted to run on CNG, at the very least. It costs maybe $3,000 to $5,000, from what I've heard. I have a colleague who has a minivan that was retrofitted for CNG, and that's certainly not one you'd normally expect to see with a CF plate. But it's perfectly legitimate. From what I gather, Southern California is a bit of a hot market for retrofitting for the same reason you could expect around here--FEDERAL law allows CNG vehicles into HOV lanes.

It's not really a special engine so much as it's a special fuel system. I know there are some alterations to the engine, but it's nothing as drastic as, say, taking out the ordinary engine and putting in a Formula One racing car's engine. So when you think about it--$5,000 to modify an older car to run on CNG, with the guarantee that it will be allowed in the HOV lanes, versus $20,000 for a new hybrid that may not be allowed in the HOV lanes in a few years? Easy to see why people opt for the alternative-fuel vehicles.

(I don't have either a hybrid or an alternative-fuel vehicle. I just find it amusing how some people on this board are so quick to bash any CF-tagged vehicle as either a hybrid or as belonging to someone who got the tag illegally.)
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:16pm
And to run these fuels, you need special engines.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:37pm
Double check your DMV site. Here's the quote:
quote:

You may choose to apply for clean special fuel license plates for a vehicle that utilizes only a clean special fuel. The vehicle must be exclusively powered by clean special fuel. The following types of fuels MAY qualify a vehicle for clean special fuel plates:

Compressed Natural Gas
Electricity
Ethane
Hydrogen
Hythane
Liquefied Natural Gas
Liquefied Petroleum Gas
Methane
Solar
Combination of two types of clean special fuels

So, as you can see, hybrids aren't the only ones eligible. A CNG vehicle qualifies, and a lot of those are running around.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 12:21pm
quote:

I'm only gonna say this for the 1000th time....not all CF plates are issued for hybrid vehicles.

I have seen Caprices, older trucks, lots of cars that arent your normal "Hybrid" Which makes me wonder how they got the plates when the DMV site says you have to have a special type of engine. I cant imagine all of these have those special type of engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic