Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids ! Get them off the HOV lanes !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 9:35am
quote:
Originally posted by tlschau
I know that's it's not a big deal, but I have seen a number of out-of-state hybrids on HOV.

Me, too. This morning at about 6:45, within a two-minute period, I saw one hybrid with an out-of-state plate and one with a regular Virginia tag. Of course, there were also plenty of other violators at that time and not one patrol car.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 3:52pm
Even if law enforcement wanted to cite these "out of state" and/or "regular license plate" hybrids, how would they justify the citation? I mean, a hybrid is a hybrid, regardless of where it's from or what type plates it has. I believe its a now-win for law enforcement to cite these vehicles. If any hybrid belongs on HOV, all belong.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 4:39pm
Hybrids don't qualify for CF tags under the current regulation as it's written, just how it's being implemented.

Apparently nothing matters other than the "hybrid" decal. I have seen the same Alaska tagged hybrid in HOV dozens of times over the last few years, though it appears that the owner might have upgraded to a newer hybrid since I saw a new one with Alaska tags not too long ago.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 4:57pm
HOV 4 is impractical. Also you forgot one major reason for increase in traffic -- increase in population. So, in your proposal, add stop mass construction of houses, increase taxes to pay for new roads, and tell people to stop moving into NOVA area. Stop turning farms into subdivisions. Oh, yeah. Reinstate the car tax to pay for the schools and roads.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 7:47am
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]... tell people to stop moving into NOVA area.

Tell people to stop moving into the NOVA area??? Where do you propose they go? DC schools are the pits, single family homes are rare and are well beyond the reach of the average person, they can't vote, and their taxes are the highest in the area. MD would just end up like NOVA, and in some respects it already is, but with somewhat better Metro support (if you throw out the constant delays on the Red line [:p]).

This seems to be a case of "I got mine, the rest of you need to go elsewhere". Face it, the jobs are in this area, and people are going to go where the jobs are. That's another reason housing construction is up. Be grateful that you have your job, and let others have theirs. If you get tired of the traffic and commute, do like I'm doing --- find a job two miles from home and jump on it. [8D]
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 7:56am
I saw a modified Ford F-150 a few days ago. What's next, fleets of modified dumptrucks cruising the HOV? That's an exaggeration of course, but Virginia sure has opened HOV up to special exemptions. Perhaps they should change the name from HOV to HOSE - High Occupancy/Special Exemption Lanes?
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 9:14am
Where are they to go? Maybe the Moon? or Mars?[:o)]

Really, just joking on the not moving to NOVA. The only thing remotely realistic is to keep HOV 3; close the lanes to non-HOV at Edsall; remove exemptions. But all this is just bandaids because as population increases so does the road traffic. Unless the area is willing to pay for mass public transportation, just don't see any lightening up on traffic in general.

Would be nice to see some of the decent paying jobs leave the city.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 9:31am
Okay, so I need to re-engage my humor chip... As for the jobs, I guess it depends on your field. The IT jobs are paying pretty good out towards Dulles, at least if you have a clearance.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 9:40am
Even a decent paying IT job can't generally provide income enough for a mortgage in THAT area. Shoot, I'd need TWO of my "decent paying" IT jobs to live up there. And costs are RISING as the jobs reestablish along the corridor.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]Okay, so I need to re-engage my humor chip... As for the jobs, I guess it depends on your field. The IT jobs are paying pretty good out towards Dulles, at least if you have a clearance.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 9:48am
Well, I suppose the military retirement check helps a little... [8D] ... but you can still find some SFHs below $300K.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic