Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Security Alert for Fredericksburg - Pentagon Slugs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Security Alert for Fredericksburg - Pentagon Slugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Security Alert for Fredericksburg - Pentagon Slugs
    Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 12:47pm
The following information was provided by a fellow slug:

Employees En Route to Pentagon: The SOURCE utilized the "Slug Lines" (public car pool lines) from the Gordon Road/Route 3 Fredericksburg, VA lot to Rosslyn, Arlington, VA. On approximately four occasions, SOURCE picked up a Middle Eastern male described as approximately 35-45 years old, 5'6" to 5'10" in height, 160-190 lbs., dark brown hair with a small amount of gray and wearing business attire. The unknown male utilized the slug line from Fredericksburg, VA to the Pentagon. During the commute, the unknown male asked SOURCE and other DoD employees very specific questions concerning their jobs. The unknown male asked: What he did when he was on Active Duty, Where they work, Who they work for, What level clearance they work with. SOURCE became suspicious and asked the unknown male why he needed all the information. He became quiet and smiled, then began asking another individual in the car a similar line of questioning. The female stated she worked for the Secretary of Defense and the unknown male seemed to be very interested and asked additional questions. At one point, the unknown male stated he was seeking an upper management position in the government, either GS-14/15. Under the guise to obtain the unknown male's personal information, SOURCE told him to give him his resume and he would see what he could do. The unknown male stated he did not have a resume; however, he could give him his e-mail address and possible send him the resume at that time. He provided a listed e-mail address and SOURCE gave him his business card. SOURCE stated he believed the unknown male was an employee of the Pentagon since he dropped the unknown male off at the Pentagon slug lot. However, he was not able to confirm this information. A query on the e-mail address provided by the unknown male returned negative results indicating an invalid e-mail address. (FORSCOM Daily CONUS Threat Update 27 July 04)
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2004 at 4:11pm
I second that Admin. These may be the observations we need to attend to on a priority basis. If anyone observes suspicious activity or persons, please contact your agency/firm security officer or the FBI.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 7:20am
Im gonna have to go with the Admin on this one and say that this needed to be shared. It makes us all a bit more aware.
chinquapin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinquapin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 8:02am
Got to agree with Admin on this one. Most of the threat information we receive around here is so general as to be useless. If we can refine it down to specifics, it makes us all more informed, and more prepared.

This highlights our inefficient formal system for passing information. Apparently FORSCOM deems this important enough to post an official threat notification, so why aren't we (slug line users) hearing about it through local official channels? Personally, I believe Admin has done us a great service by providing the information to the folks who are most likely to be affected.

BTW, Cat, I believe "SOURCE" is the good guy.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 11:21am
quote:
Originally posted by cathugg
[br]Nice going Admin.
This information is FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY.
Posting this detailed info has put the driver and his riders in possible jeopardy if it turns out the SOURCE is really a bad guy and recognizes himself from this report.
Not only that, but now the SOURCE knows we are wise to him and he probably will not be caught.
A simple warning to not divulge detailed info about what you do, who you work for, etc. would have been a sufficient warning.
May I suggest you delete this posting?
Thanks,
cathugg

Nice going, cathugg. I think you need to go back and read through your DoD regulations on security and classification markings before you pipe in on this page like you know something.

From DoD 5400-7R (http://web7.whs.osd.mil/html/54007r.htm) Chapter 4, here is the definition of FOUO:

"C4.1.1. General. Information that has not been given a security classification pursuant to the criteria of an Executive Order, but which may be withheld from the public because disclosure would cause a foreseeable harm to an interest protected by one or more FOIA Exemptions 2 through 9 (see Chapter C3.) shall be considered as being for official use only (FOUO). No other material shall be considered FOUO and FOUO is not authorized as an anemic form of classification to protect national security interests. Additional information on FOUO and other controlled, unclassified information may be found in reference (g) or by contacting the Directorate for Security, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence).

What this means is that only material that falls under exemptions 2-9 in the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) are considered FOUO. No other material can receive the FOUO markings."

The material admin posted does NOT fall under any of those eight exceptions and, therefore, is NOT FOUO material.

Also, I don't really think that SOURCE would run to Pentagon officials and turn himself in as a suspicious character, do you? I think he was just a "source" of information, ergo, SOURCE.

May I suggest that you get your facts straight (and THINK before you post) before calling someone on the carpet for trying his damnedest to help us travel safely to work?

I'd like to thank admin for posting that message. It's one thing to be told to look out for the bad guys, it's another to actually know what you are trying to recognize and avoid.

Hats off to you.
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2004 at 8:44pm
Thanks.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2004 at 11:15am
Cathugg,

Please take a long look at your post and the original ADMIN post and then ponder this: If you were to look up the word bureaucrat in the dictionary, would you see a picture of yourself.
MoodyGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoodyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2004 at 1:26pm
N/A (Formerly known as Cathugg),

I for one, appreciate Admin making us aware of this person.

Anyone who has ever been to a Counterespionage Brief, logged on to the Homeland Security website, watched the news or has the least little bit of common sense knows that you should "Always Be Aware of Your Surroundings".

As far as I am concerned, this is no different than if a driver/slug was using the slug system as a way to do harm to one of us. If this was the case, I am sure that you would not object to someone putting a warning on the website. Would you?

I realize that you probably felt very important using all of your technical terms and to scold Admin. However, you made yourself look like an idiot. I am sure you already know that-hence the name change!

Admin, Thanks for reminding us that we need to stay on our toes.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2004 at 1:49pm
Okay, folks, let's stop beating up on Cathugg. Yes, he/she came down a little hard on Admin. However, speaking as a former security official, I can say she made some valid points. My own experience and research suggests Cathugg's concerns are valid. Since Admin was quoting from another source, we don't know if the info received by that source was labled FOUO. We also don't know what level the original document this information came from may be protected at. Perhaps once we can answer these questions, then we can truly determine whether Cathugg went overboard on the reaction.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2004 at 4:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]Okay, folks, let's stop beating up on Cathugg. Yes, he/she came down a little hard on Admin. However, speaking as a former security official, I can say she made some valid points. My own experience and research suggests Cathugg's concerns are valid. Since Admin was quoting from another source, we don't know if the info received by that source was labled FOUO. We also don't know what level the original document this information came from may be protected at. Perhaps once we can answer these questions, then we can truly determine whether Cathugg went overboard on the reaction.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but see my post above. I eat, sleep and breath this stuff. Trust me, cathugg went overboard. It's unfair when people put ignorant and uninformed posts up here to down on others that are out here trying to do some good. Especially when they are wrong. Now if you're right, that is a completely different story....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic