Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug Line Nazis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no_more_metro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug Line Nazis
    Posted: 17 Aug 2004 at 4:00pm
Could someone please tell me why some people feel as though it is their duty to "run" the slugline--i.e., telling others to hurry up and get to the car, yelling out to the driver to take a third (when this person isn't even up for a ride yet), motioning for cars who need to wait for another rider to move forward, etc... I mean COME ON. People know how to use this line. These slug line nazis are just annoying. There is one woman in particular at Horner Rd. in the 14th street line. I would give her description, but know that it would incite a riot since I would describe her race as well as haircut, etc.
slugguru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2004 at 4:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner
[br]It's these "slug nazis" who keep the cars and people moving so we should all be grateful. I think you'll change your tune when you read the other threads about how people expect cars to drive up to them or people not willing to speak up about taking another person, etc.

I agree .......
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2004 at 8:44pm
Agree with RoadRunner. I've seen lines that do well without a "Conductor" and others that don't.

Also, I wouldn't assume that everyone knows how to use the line, there are new people slugging all the time...
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 9:02am
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner

It's these "slug nazis" who keep the cars and people moving so we should all be grateful. I think you'll change your tune when you read the other threads about how people expect cars to drive up to them or people not willing to speak up about taking another person, etc.

I think it helps keep the line moving if the slugs at the front give some direction, but I am opposed to the practice of trying to get an "extra" slug in every car (except in the "crunch" times, e.g. long line, getting late, bad weather, etc.)
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 10:38am
I understand where no_more_metro is coming from. I've seen the "nazis" referred to in other lines. They snarl, glare, yell, shake their heads, make rude comments, and gesticulate wildly. They're no fun to be around, and I have no problem handing it back to the person who uses those tactics with me at 6 am before I've had a cuppa. How hard is it to ask the driver kindly to move up, or to turn to the person behind or ahead of you and suggest walking down to the car? There's only so much room at the curb. Filling up a few cars at a time and letting them go is good, but if everyone walks down 5, 10, 15 cars, no one can see, and the result is chaos.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 11:48am
quote:
Originally posted by no_more_metro
[br]Could someone please tell me why some people feel as though it is their duty to "run" the slugline--i.e., telling others to hurry up and get to the car, yelling out to the driver to take a third (when this person isn't even up for a ride yet), motioning for cars who need to wait for another rider to move forward, etc... I mean COME ON. People know how to use this line. These slug line nazis are just annoying. There is one woman in particular at Horner Rd. in the 14th street line. I would give her description, but know that it would incite a riot since I would describe her race as well as haircut, etc.

I am grateful for those "take charge" type of folks-they keep the line moving; however, being rude isn't cool...

Live Long and Prosper
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 12:25pm
Where do you encounter these crude, rude, inconsiderate slugs and drivers? My expeience in slugging as both a driver and slug since 1985 to and from the Springfield-Burke area (RVMall, Sydenstricker Lot, and their predecessors at the bus stops on Huntsman Blvd, Old Keene Mill Rd & Sydensticker Rd) has been nothing but pleasant. I've met a lot of nice people who have always been considerate and polite. Wonder if it's because lines are usually short and the number of cars and slugs has been fairly equal and spread out during the entire rush hour. Wherever the problems you've encoutered are happening, I surely hope civility and good manners will take hold. Good luck. [:I]
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:05pm
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:06pm
I would rather deal with the Nazi's than the zono's who stand in la la land as 10 cars all going to the same place are awaiting someone new to come to the line. Meanwhile there are ten more cars waiting to get within speaking distance of the slugs, but noone in line will move up, the same goes for the cars. WAKE UP PEOPLE. SOME OF US DO WANT TO GET TO WORK ON TIME... MOVING YOUR FEET A FEW INCHES WONT HURT!! NEITHER WILL SPEAKING UP!!

:'}
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2004 at 1:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Where do you encounter these crude, rude, inconsiderate slugs and drivers?

My experience overall has been pleasant. The "nazi" behavior I referred to in an earlier post occurred at Horner in the Pentagon line. Fortunately, I haven't seen that person for awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic