Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug Line Nazis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:18am
Did anybody really take the time to read this ?
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by dixeedog

I take offense to the use of the term "Line Nazis." This loose alliteration devalues one of the single most horrific events in human history. Is common rude behavior in a commuter line equal to the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators?

I take offense at your use of the term "bureaucratic". While popular usage may carry some pejorative associations, those associations are not necessarily relevant, or even valid, when applied to description of an event. The term may be accurate in describing the hierarchical organization of the state that carried out the horrific events described, but has little meaning when associated with the events themselves.

Your misuse of the term, coupled with the focus you have placed on its pejorative connotations, does a disservice to all the readers of this forum who could fairly be labeled as bureaucrats. I, for example, have recently moved from a long career in operations and system development to a policy position befitting my extensive experience and broad vision in meeting the goals of my government agency (or "bureau", if you prefer), so I think I can fairly be labeled a bureaucrat. I am proud of my position and the hard work that brought me to this point. Am I now to be associated with atrocities in which I played no role simply so you can make a point about someone else's casual use of a term to which you clearly attach a deeper meaning? Your association of bureaucracy and genocide was unfair, unnecessary, and unmindful of the possibility that you might be hoist on your own petard.

Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:18am
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner

Let's stick to the topic, otay?

I take offense at your use of the term "otay".

Are you guys serious?

Live Long and Prosper
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:29am
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Are you guys serious?

Live Long and Prosper

No - I am not. Should I have used one of those "thingies"?[:)][8D][:p][}:)][:o)][8][^][?]
dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 9:37am
I now that offense to the term "thingies" and concur with mycroftt about the "otay" reference, quite offensive indeed.
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 11:47am
you know what the best thing about this thread is? all the people who reply to it with an enormous space-taking up copy of what was said before. you know you can reply without quoting large chunks of the thread, right?

Eric
Tackett's Mill to Rosslyn and back I slug.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 12:22pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Are you guys serious?

Live Long and Prosper

No - I am not. Should I have used one of those "thingies"?[:)][8D][:p][}:)][:o)][8][^][?]

Okay-LOL. Maybe one of those emoticons would've been good...

Live Long and Prosper
dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 1:00pm
The term "emoticons is offensive.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 1:25pm
quote:

where's the Moderator when you need one?

I am offended by unnecessary and capricious capitalization. It tends to cheapen and detract from the effect of approriate capitalization.

On that note, I'm out. Have a great weekend everybody.

Mike
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 1:45pm
I'm offended by all those offended. No offense.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2004 at 4:10pm
No kidding. It's been getting a little out of hand here lately. No offense. [8)]

quote:
[br]where's the Moderator when you need one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic