Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Had one of THOSE kind of drivers last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:02am
I'm resigned to believe that American driving habits are rapidly changing. One responder mentioned going to Germany to observe their techniques. Well, I'm telling you, if we get to that point in driving, 80-90 MPH won't be enough and state troopers won't be needed to ticket anyone. Germany doesn't even have a limit on the Autobahn does it?
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:16am
The traffic problems here are caused by poor planning and design. They are exacerbated by poor driving techniques, mostly failure to leave sufficient room between one's vehicle and the one in front.

The evidence is right there for everyone to see. Did you ever wonder why the left lane is the one that is always stopped south of the HOV merge on I-95? Check out the relative traffic density in the left lane compared to the other two lanes - usually the left lane density is greater than the other two lanes combined. When one driver hits the brakes (usually because he's following too closely) everyone in line behind him has to do the same (because they are also following too closely) and it continues until traffic stops in that lane.

If people would leave room, they wouldn't have to continually slam on the brakes and traffic would keep moving.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:20am
It's quite annoying when you're trying to maintain a minimally safe one second distance to the car in front of you and the driver behind you is fuming because of how "slow" you're going.

My other theory is that if people are using the right lane to pass you, you should change lanes.
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:46am
MDC, I'm glad you touched upon that clause. See, when you drive in from MD over the Woodrow Wilson, there exists to the left barrier a sign, slower traffic keep right. Now... if you are occupying the left lane and people are passing you on the right... Move your I'm obeying the law and have every right to be in whatever lane I choose tree hugging the world is your oyster box on wheels to the right lane. Please people, move over so that the other 25 vehicle behind you can get to their destinations!
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 9:12am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]It's quite annoying when you're trying to maintain a minimally safe one second distance to the car in front of you and the driver behind you is fuming because of how "slow" you're going.

My other theory is that if people are using the right lane to pass you, you should change lanes.

MDC, you hit two nails right on the head! Another one of my favorites is when you maintain a safe distance and some jackass views it as an opportunity to gain some imagined type of "advantage" by pulling into the space. That's a great thought about changing lanes if people are passing you on the right.

My wife and I continually joke about the people around here learning to drive by watching NASCAR (even though most of them, like ourselves, are not natives). People who tailgate are "drafting" or "taking the air off my spoiler". We "pull into the pit" to get gas or take an exit from the freeway. Any slowdown is a "caution flag", and if I drift out of my lane "I like to use the whole track". Above all else don't EVER use your turn signal lights because that's just advertising your intentions and Earnhardt will never let you cut in. Try it - it's fun!
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 9:20am
quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt
MDC, you hit two nails right on the head! Another one of my favorites is when you maintain a safe distance and some jackass views it as an opportunity to gain some imagined type of "advantage" by pulling into the space. That's a great thought about changing lanes if people are passing you on the right.

My wife and I continually joke about the people around here learning to drive by watching NASCAR (even though most of them, like ourselves, are not natives). People who tailgate are "drafting" or "taking the air off my spoiler". We "pull into the pit" to get gas or take an exit from the freeway. Any slowdown is a "caution flag", and if I drift out of my lane "I like to use the whole track". Above all else don't EVER use your turn signal lights because that's just advertising your intentions and Earnhardt will never let you cut in. Try it - it's fun!

mycroftt,

As a nascar fan I have to say that this is the funniest thing that I have read in a while! Thanks for sharing.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 1:14pm
You have got to be kidding me?? Have any of you noticed that you have to go 80 to avoid being run over....I go 80, most of the way, I don't weave, I'm not reckless, but yes...I go 80....So does everybody else, most blow past me...In fact this morning I had to yield to someone flashing his lights at me....Thats the name of the game on 95. I can understand being upset about a reckless driver going 90, but come on....
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 1:48pm
Well...remember that the faster you go, the worse that an accident can potentially be, regardless of fault. If you're going 80 and someone pulls an a-hole move and cuts you off and you swerve to avoid being hit, your ability to control your vehicle during that sort of panic declines...big time. That might have not been your fault, but speeding did not help you in getting out of that situation. In fact, it could be worse. I'm not saying I'm an angel, I take advantage of an open road where I can, but I always have positive control of my vehicle and if I don't have a clear way out of peril, I don't take the chance. You might recognize me on the highway...I'm the one who, while cruising at a decent road speed, will leave about 11 car lengths in front of me. Sorry for those that are annoyed, I'm just trying to get home in one piece like everyone else.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 2:30pm
And maybe that's the problem around here. Everyone has too much of a "me-first" mentality that they can't slow their happy butts down to do something resembling the speed limit. This ISN'T Germany, and the roads around here are too crowded for the 80-90 mile an hour speeds that idiot drivers (yes, I said it, and if the shoe fits, wear it) insist on doing.

I personally don't see how anyone could be doing 80-90 during rush hour and not be either weaving in traffic or constantly doing the herky-jerky slow down and speed up drill. If drivers think they're being so blasted safe driving 80-90, then why do they jam on the brakes as soon as they see a cop? Because they know they're not supposed to be doing it in the first place. [:0] If you're so interested in qualifying for the Pocono 400, find yourself a sponsor and get off the public roads.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 2:43pm
I agree ronin - I don't understand how some can drive that fast with as many vehicles on the road around here. Driving like that is really asking for something major. I mean, I will drive 80-85, but it won't be until I am going south on I-85 and you know how far down that is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic