Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Had one of THOSE kind of drivers last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KNLNGUS View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNLNGUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:46am
MDC, I'm glad you touched upon that clause. See, when you drive in from MD over the Woodrow Wilson, there exists to the left barrier a sign, slower traffic keep right. Now... if you are occupying the left lane and people are passing you on the right... Move your I'm obeying the law and have every right to be in whatever lane I choose tree hugging the world is your oyster box on wheels to the right lane. Please people, move over so that the other 25 vehicle behind you can get to their destinations!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:20am
It's quite annoying when you're trying to maintain a minimally safe one second distance to the car in front of you and the driver behind you is fuming because of how "slow" you're going.

My other theory is that if people are using the right lane to pass you, you should change lanes.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:16am
The traffic problems here are caused by poor planning and design. They are exacerbated by poor driving techniques, mostly failure to leave sufficient room between one's vehicle and the one in front.

The evidence is right there for everyone to see. Did you ever wonder why the left lane is the one that is always stopped south of the HOV merge on I-95? Check out the relative traffic density in the left lane compared to the other two lanes - usually the left lane density is greater than the other two lanes combined. When one driver hits the brakes (usually because he's following too closely) everyone in line behind him has to do the same (because they are also following too closely) and it continues until traffic stops in that lane.

If people would leave room, they wouldn't have to continually slam on the brakes and traffic would keep moving.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 8:02am
I'm resigned to believe that American driving habits are rapidly changing. One responder mentioned going to Germany to observe their techniques. Well, I'm telling you, if we get to that point in driving, 80-90 MPH won't be enough and state troopers won't be needed to ticket anyone. Germany doesn't even have a limit on the Autobahn does it?
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 6:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]There's been past discussions about speed, etc. on the HOV lanes. If you drive 65-70 mph, why do other people feel they need to drive down your tail pipe? I particularly am peeved by SUV owners thinking they can just ram themselves up my Civic's tail pipe when I'm cruising at 70 mph. Sometimes they get ticked because I actually have the nerve to leave space between me and the car in front.

I want a bumper sticker -- If you don't like my speed, I can always slow down!

And why do civic drivers drive like maniacs with their souped up rides and buzz around my SUV like little gnats?

Let's not even start the category game...
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 5:42pm
Speed does NOT kill. Please go to Germany and observe driving and such over there. Bad drivers that speed, that kills.

I usually travel 80mph in the HOV lanes (traffic permitting). I do NOT weave in and out. I have a very safe car, with tires and suspension that can handle high speeds.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 3:11pm
No, I travel both lanes; in left, I cruise at speed of the driver ahead of me, who is in turn usually is cruising at speed of driver ahead of him/her. When traffic is to the point where both lanes are full, there's no such thing as "Hey this is the left lane and I'm going to put the pedal to the metal!" So that left lane is only for passing rule is out the window. Also, there's only left lane exits on the HOV so maybe they need to write another special rule -- reverse everything for HOV: Right lane for passing and left for general traffic.

But on point and topic, speed kills. When I have slugs, I try to keep to limit. Also, I'm not found of tickets and avoid them at all cost.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 1:17pm
I don't recall seeing where Stuck2 specified that he/she was cruising in the left lane. I agree with tdar20 that cruising should be done in the right lane, but tailgating happens in both lanes, especially if traffic is moderate to heavy and the fast-burners are using both lanes. Sometimes drivers need to remember that not everyone is attempting to qualify for the Poconos 400. [8D]
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 12:48pm
Well, if your doing 70 in the left land then I would say your out of line. Thats the passing or over taking lane, speeds move quickly on 95 when given the opportunity. If you want to do 70 and below please stay in the right lane so the rest of us can move along also.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2004 at 11:17am
There's been past discussions about speed, etc. on the HOV lanes. If you drive 65-70 mph, why do other people feel they need to drive down your tail pipe? I particularly am peeved by SUV owners thinking they can just ram themselves up my Civic's tail pipe when I'm cruising at 70 mph. Sometimes they get ticked because I actually have the nerve to leave space between me and the car in front.

I want a bumper sticker -- If you don't like my speed, I can always slow down!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic