Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Had one of THOSE kind of drivers last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 9:23pm
Not only Metro bus and Omniride bus drivers do this. MARTZ bus drivers beat them both HANDS down. I've written to their corporate website no less than SIX times with license plate numbers and location of the vehicles. They don't just weave in and out of traffic, they cut off ANYONE in their way, on 95, 195 AND the beltway. Whooooo, glad to get that off my chest. Stepping down now.

ScarletLSG
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 10:19am
You can drive *safely* doing 80 within a 50 mile radius. That's what I was trying to say in my previous post. Everyone has a different skill level when it comes to driving. If you can't handle your car or judge the traffic around you, you should not go near 80mph. However, I know my car's limits very well, am an excellent judge of traffic, and do not drive recklessly (I know what the VA reckless law is, so please don't feel the need to tell me - there is a difference in reckless driving legally and reckless driving realistically).

I agree that the busses around here DO drive dangerously and take needless risks. I would also say the same of the many semis that travel 95. I have seen so many of them drive as if they're in a sportscar, cutting people off and tailgating.
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 12:36pm
I usually drive and I do so at 80 mph tops. Though I drive fast, I am safe, I don't weave in and out of traffic, I don't ride people's bumper....so I don't see what the big deal is.

My problem is with the people that are barely going the speed limit, riding side by side a person in the right lane so no one can pass.

Then there are the men that can't stand to have a WOMAN pass them on the road -- have that happen to me a lot. There was a fatal case of that in Spotsylvania County a few months back. A woman and her son were passing a man and he sped up so she couldn't get around him. She lost control of the car and hit a tree, killing both her and her son. Sad. [:(]

Dina
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 2:04pm
quote:

[br]I know my car's limits very well, am an excellent judge of traffic, and do not drive recklessly (... there is a difference in reckless driving legally and reckless driving realistically).

I'd like to see this line used on a cop or a judge. I'm sure it would work in getting out of the charge. It sounds very similar to "I know my limit, and I'm okay to drive".

To all you NASCAR wanna-bes, I have two questions... (1) What's wrong with driving something resembling the speed limit? Yes, you might get your doors blown off, but you'll put less wear and tear on your vehicle. (2) Do the riders have the same confidence in your skills? Oh, that's right, if they don't like it, they can choose another ride. They just missed the notice that you intend to drive at 80+ MPH.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 2:32pm
Your comparison of my comment to someone drinking and driving is offensive. And I never said that it would fly legally, nor would I ever argue that to a cop or a judge. I was merely pointing out that there IS a difference between the legal definition of reckless driving according to the Commonwealth of Virginia, and someone driving 80 and not endangering anyone.

PS. I am a slug, I do not drive anyone other than myself in my car.

quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
I'd like to see this line used on a cop or a judge. I'm sure it would work in getting out of the charge. It sounds very similar to "I know my limit, and I'm okay to drive".

To all you NASCAR wanna-bes, I have two questions... (1) What's wrong with driving something resembling the speed limit? Yes, you might get your doors blown off, but you'll put less wear and tear on your vehicle. (2) Do the riders have the same confidence in your skills? Oh, that's right, if they don't like it, they can choose another ride. They just missed the notice that you intend to drive at 80+ MPH.

ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 9:10am
quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]Your comparison of my comment to someone drinking and driving is offensive. And I never said that it would fly legally, nor would I ever argue that to a cop or a judge. I was merely pointing out that there IS a difference between the legal definition of reckless driving according to the Commonwealth of Virginia, and someone driving 80 and not endangering anyone.

PS. I am a slug, I do not drive anyone other than myself in my car.

Okay, you're offended. That doesn't negate the fact the two statements are similar. The "I can control my vehicle safely" is used by both groups. It's rare to find a driver doing something illegal that doesn't justify it or excuse it with some lame reasoning, yours truly included.

There is NO excuse or reason for driving 80 in this area, and by that I mean the area where the predominate speed limit is 55. Since you're coming in from Fredericksburg, I can understand doing maybe 75 down below Quantico, but do you drop down to 65 when you hit the lower speed zone, or are you still flying at 80? In these areas of closely "divided" highways, this IS reckless, as determined by society and established by our laws. How many accidents have occured where a vehicle (or part) has jumped/flown over the barrier and impacted an oncoming vehicle? You never know when something like this might happen, and you have a greater chance of controlling your vehicle in an emergency situation at 60 than 80.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 9:16am
Ok. I'm not going to keep debating this. We will have to agree to disagree.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 11:54am
If the flow of traffic is averaging 75-80 and and you're doing 55 - exactly who is the problem? Ever been on the Jersey Turnpike? Who deemed anyone on this website to be the spokes person for our Society? Also, what decade were the 55/65 mph limits set? For what reason (gas savings?), and do they take into account the cars on the road today?

As a navy pilot I've lived all over the country and have driven on metropolitan highways in taffic (ie: along w/ everyone else) averaging 75-85 mph w/ no problem.

Just one man's opinion
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 12:57pm
I agree that it's the difference in speed that causes the hazard, whether someone is going 25 MPH faster or 25 MPH slower than everyone else. As glacier points out, the 55 MPH limit is a throwback to the early 1970's when the oil companies first conspired to create low supplies in order to drive prices skyward and the government fell into line by restricting speed limits to 55. Today's cars are much better engineered than than the '60s and '70s gas guzzlers and are much safer at higher speeds. There is no longer a strong argument for keeping the speed limits that low - maybe 75 or 80 with zero tolerance might make more sense.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2004 at 1:22pm
pb1974... Okay. Works for me.

glacier... (1) If the person doing 55 is obeying the law, the problem is with those who are not. It's a sheep or lemming thing. Just because others are thumbing their noses at the speed limit doesn't mean everyone should be forced to. If it's so okay to do 75-80, then why do the brakes get slammed on as soon as a police cruiser makes an appearance? Sorry, you're not going to get me to budge on this one.

(2) Yes, I've driven the Jersey Turnpike... in the right lane. (3) I didn't proclaim myself Society's spokesperson. I just said society determines what is reckless driving, and set up the law to enforce it.

(4) The 65/70/75 limits only "came back" less than 10 years ago, and I haven't seen anything above 70 in this state or area. Apparently somebody took today's cars into consideration, along with the roads, the traffic, and the population density. I, too, have driven all over this country, and where appropriate I've driven 75-85 MPH. But those speeds were all done west of the Mississippi where the limits are set that high. And I've spent my time enforcing the laws in the military community on those who've deemed themselves above it all for whatever reason. Maybe if people would try abiding by the laws, instead of putting themselves above them, we'd all get along a little better... on the roads and off.

Another man's opinion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic