Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Had one of THOSE kind of drivers last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 2:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]And maybe that's the problem around here. Everyone has too much of a "me-first" mentality that they can't slow their happy butts down to do something resembling the speed limit. This ISN'T Germany, and the roads around here are too crowded for the 80-90 mile an hour speeds that idiot drivers (yes, I said it, and if the shoe fits, wear it) insist on doing.

I personally don't see how anyone could be doing 80-90 during rush hour and not be either weaving in traffic or constantly doing the herky-jerky slow down and speed up drill. If drivers think they're being so blasted safe driving 80-90, then why do they jam on the brakes as soon as they see a cop? Because they know they're not supposed to be doing it in the first place. [:0] If you're so interested in qualifying for the Pocono 400, find yourself a sponsor and get off the public roads.

Not sure where you drive, but I drive in the HOV lanes (during rush hour), where the traffic during the summer moves at 80mph. Now that the kiddies are back in school and everyone is back from vacation, Tuesday I won't be doing 80mph. On the weekends, around the beltway, I also do about 80mph (traffic permitting).
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2004 at 2:55pm
Scott,

You should know that RIGHT NOW, VA State Police are actively pursuing speeders, especially in the HOV. How do I know this? Because I got a ticket this week. AND in the state of VA, 80 mph and over is considered reckless. I was going 81 ... there was MINIMAL traffic, wasn't weaving in or out of lanes and was clocked. I got NOT ONLY a speeding ticket, but also a reckless endangerment citation. Because of the reckless, I MUST appear in court and cannot just send in the fines. UGH. I now have my cruise set at 70 mph ... even though *I* think I'm safe at 80, Virginia doesn't. I can't afford to lose my license. The patrol officer told me that while they ARE targeting violators, they are EQUALLY targeting speeders ... and aggressively.

ScarletLSG

quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]Speed does NOT kill. Please go to Germany and observe driving and such over there. Bad drivers that speed, that kills.

I usually travel 80mph in the HOV lanes (traffic permitting). I do NOT weave in and out. I have a very safe car, with tires and suspension that can handle high speeds.

Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2004 at 10:08am
Hey Ronin....

Jacka$$! (yeah I said it, and if the shoe fits, where it) what is that about. Again, maybe you should lay off the cocktails before work, but at 80 miles an hour in the very uncrowded HOV lanes in the morning you don't have to weave, in fact, if you cruise in the left lane, you will find yourself yielding to many that are trying to push up your bumper....Definitely not that I'm in a hurry to get to work in the morning, but I would say those that are driving 60 or less in HOV, present more of a hazard than those of us driving 75-80....
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2004 at 1:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]And maybe that's the problem around here. Everyone has too much of a "me-first" mentality...

The "me-first" mentality is a big problem around here! Whether it's vehicle speed, lack of turn signal use, lack of space left between cars, or the weaving in and out-- it's not the "few" but the "many" who now demonstrate a total disregard for anyone else by their actions and bad driving habits.

To even suggest that a driver creates a hazard by doing less than 60 mph on HOV is another indicator as to the disregard that many have for the very rules that were created to keep people safe while on public roads.

I used to find driving slugs provided me a calm start/end to my work days. Not so anymore now that I am noticing my jaw hurts from clenching my teeth, or that my hands are stiff from gripping the steering wheel so hard because I am constantly having to react to the bad habits of others.

Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2004 at 4:15pm
So Sheepish...

In your opinion a driver that is going below the speed limit, hanging out in the fast lane of traffic is exhibiting proper driving technique and not creating a hazard??

By that logic, it is actually the slow driver that may be causing some other driver who is perhaps doing 70, to change lanes to move around them, or "weave." Also, tickets are issued for impeding traffic. Albeit, not as frequently as speeding, but it is a violation none the less, and I assure you equally as dangerous.

I also would argue that every driver thinks he/she/it is the best driver on the road, and everyone around them is a bad driver...

I will say this, I have never had someone complain about my driving, actually quite the contrary....I have many, many repeat riders, and they happily get in my car every morning....Perhaps, you and Ronin should ride the bus, if a good ole DC commute causes you to clench your teeth......Settle down and enjoy the ride!
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2004 at 5:03pm
Dhacim,
To clarify my comment for you, you stated "I would say those that are driving 60 or less in HOV, present more of a hazard than those of us driving 75-80....” and I stand by what I said in response to those words. Those words demonstrate a disregard for the rules.

Do I have a problem with "floaters" in the left lane? Unless they are passing a vehicle, or making a left exit off the road, then yes I have a problem with that. They can "float" along at their speed in the right lane.

There is no point in arguing about perceptions a driver has on their own/others' skills, no-one in this world is perfect. The point I was trying to make is that *too many* people are demonstrating irresponsibility when they get behind the wheel.

Oh- and how thoughtful of you to offer the suggestion of taking the bus! While I would expect Ronin and I to thoroughly enjoy a hearty discussion on the "me-first" mentality, why don't you join us as the driver of the bus so you can accommodate so many more with your exemplary driving skills? [;)]
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 11:16am
Dhacim, if the other drivers are doing the speed limit, then those who are doing 80-90 mph ARE the hazard. I understand the speed limit in the HOV lanes is 60 or 65 (I don't drive 395, so I don't personally know except from other posts), and nowhere in the state is there a posted speed limit of 80 or greater. For the majority of the roads in NoVA, your 80 MPH is 25 over the limit. Since you want to get personal, I'll say it like it is. YOU are the hazard, and other drivers like you. Speed limits are established for a reason, and not merely to inconvenience. If you want to consider me a long-eared, slow-moving beast of burden because I choose to abide by the posted limits, then give me my carrots and send me on my way. I guarantee my brake pads will see less wear and tear then yours.

Yes, "floaters" are a problem around here, and they should get their happy butts over to the right when not passing. However, NASCAR wanna-bes are a greater hazard on NoVA roads than Miss Daisy on a Sunday cruise.

Let me share a little something with you, Dhacim. Both of my cars have organizational tags on them, and they have two letters --- FP. I'm retired from that arena now, but I'm sure if you want to give me your vehicle description and tag number, I can pass them on to some fellow members to watch for your low-flying excursions.

Oh, and by the way, I do ride the bus occasionally, but only when I can't get my usual ride in. Perhaps you should try it yourself. It's amazing how the stress levels drop when you aren't trying to muscle your way through law-abiding traffic. You can also choose which group of knuckleheads to count --- the HOV violators or the NASCAR wanna-bes.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 1:57pm
Eighty mph does not have to be a dangerous speed. If you are driving like an idiot (weaving, cutting people off, tailgating), then any speed is dangerous. However, it is entirely possible to do 80 around here, even in the mornings, without resorting to weaving and the like (I drive in from Fredericksburg, so my experience may be different than others'). I am also of the belief that slow drivers are just as dangerous as the fast ones. Sorry, but that is my opinion.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 3:07pm
I certainly agree that everyone has their own opinions, but tell me - where does one constantly drive 80-85 MPH around DC or within a 50-75 mile radius? I don't think one can do it weekdays, weekends, holidays, early morning or late evening. There is too much traffic on the roads to jeopardize yourself, or more importantly, someone else. Granted, it can be done, but not safely. Again, that's my opinion.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 5:14pm
Nobody's mentioned the Metro busses going 45MPH in the HOV lanes. Why is it that some Metro busses go 65, and others are going 45? Every other day it seems that traffic goes from ~65 to about 25mph due to these busses somewhere south of the Pentagon.

Omniride bus drivers are also BAD drivers. I think every one of them moves to the left lane before the Pentagon exit and then cuts back over where the exit ramp is. Weaving in and out of lanes to pass a few cars is also one of their specialties.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic