Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Had one of THOSE kind of drivers last night

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 8:08am
Ronin,

You aren't the only person that disagrees with the excessive speeding that occurs here. While I am absolutely guilty of "going along with the crowd" on these roads, I AM now making a concerted effort to follow the posted limits. Two reasons -- 1. Got a ticket for speeding and reckless going 82 ... wasn't going faster than anyone else, just happened to get caught -- 2. I work 52 miles from home ... I've realized that IF I can manage to just average 50 mph during the drive ... that gets me to work/home in about an hour.

I'm CERTAIN that I have one of the longer commutes here in the area. I really believe this. IF everyone would lower their speeds, there would DEFINITELY be less accidents. Less accidents means fewer backups. I mean, imagine a morning commute, where you get on 95 going 60 mph and are able to maintain 55-60 for your entire drive. If you are going 75-80, you WILL eventually end up behind someone doing the speed limit, causing you to curse, slam on the brakes and thereby cause a chain reaction of similar behavior down the line of cars. At speed limits, merges and exits occur more smoothly. Bottom line, is that I would LOVE to have a one hour commute to and from work and if everyone would lower their speeds JUST a little, I think that could be possible more often.

ScarletLSG
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 4:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]Ronin,

I'm CERTAIN that I have one of the longer commutes here in the area. I really believe this. IF everyone would lower their speeds, there would DEFINITELY be less accidents.

ScarletLSG

Where is the data for the basis of that statement?
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 5:19pm
Woodbridge to Silver Spring. Depending on requirements of the day, I use just about every form of transportation except VRE (drive, slug, bus, Metro, feet). To work is 1.25-1.5 hours. Returning home takes 1.5-1.75 hours, sometimes more (especially on Friday). I have a colleague who will be moving to F'burg and commuting to SS. I'll bet HE will have one of the longer commutes in the area.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 5:36pm
>>Where is the data for the basis of that statement?

Here are a few excerpts from studies done in both the UK and US. I've also posted the links, for the reader who would like to read full reports.

UK Study - http://www.slower-speeds.org.uk/kscontents.htm

Speed management offers significant social, environmental and economic benefits. Foremost amongst these is casualty reduction. Every 1mph reduction in average speeds brings a 5% reduction in the number of crashes, and hence in the number of people killed or injured on the roads. This means that even marginal reductions in speed can result in major road safety gains.

US Study - http://www.ou.edu/oupd/speed.htm

Exceeding the posted limit or driving too fast for conditions is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. Speed is a factor in nearly one-third of all fatal crashes. Speed-related crashes cost society more than $23 billion a year.*

Too few drivers view speeding as an immediate risk to their personal safety or the safety of others. Yet, speeding reduces a driver's ability to steer safely around curves or objects in the roadway, and it extends the distance required to stop a vehicle in emergency situations.

Crash severity increases with the speed of the vehicle at impact. ... ... ...

The probability of death, disfigurement, or debilitating injury grows with higher speed at impact.

Such consequences double for every 10 mph over 50 mph that a vehicle travels.

US Study - http://www.speedlimiters.com/fleetdriver.php

A report in early April 2002 by Market Analysts, Taylor Nelson Sofres, showed that 61% of drivers admitted to regularly exceeding statutory speed limits. Additional speeding facts are:

72% of company car drivers drive in excess of 80 mph on motorways;
68% occasionally or frequently drive faster and less safely due to pressure of work; and keeping to the speed limits only increases overall average journey time by 2.54% (just one and a half minutes in every hour on the road or less than five minutes for a three hour journey). (Source: Leeds/MIRA report) There is no need to speed!

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2004 at 5:37pm
JiggaJynx,

THAT is going to be ONE HECK OF A COMMUTE. I was commuting from Quantico to Bethesda and it was LONG LONG LONG. Hopefully your colleague has a flexible schedule.

ScarletLSG
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 8:07am
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]>>Where is the data for the basis of that statement?

US Study - http://www.ou.edu/oupd/speed.htm

Exceeding the posted limit or driving too fast for conditions is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. Speed is a factor in nearly one-third of all fatal crashes. Speed-related crashes cost society more than $23 billion a year.*

Uh...this "study" seems to indicate that speed may NOT be a huge factor in highway safety. It indicates that 60% of speed related crashes occur on rural roads. I don't know the relative percentages of highway vs rural traffic but it has to be hugely skewed toward highway. I have been an analyst for many years and, while there isn't enough data here to draw a strong conclusion, this is a very strong indication that excessive speed does not seem to be a major contributing factor to highway crashes. I'm calling for more studies (and more work for analysts).[;)]
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2004 at 11:51am
>>Uh...this "study" seems to indicate that speed may NOT be a huge factor in highway safety.<<

MYCROFTT,

I read about 20 different studies yesterday and almost all of them actually say that SPEEDING isn't generally the CAUSE of the accidents. The cause is the disparity in speeds ... whether rural or urban. In rural areas, if speed limits are 55 ... some cars are going 55, some 65+ -- THAT causes the accidents. Same in urban areas. My point is that if EVERYONE would slow down JUST A SMIDGE. There is NO need to go 80 in a 65. There WILL be people following the law to the letter and the big disparity in speed WILL cause the speeder to have to slam on the brakes or weave in and out of lanes, especially on the HOV where there are both left and right entrances. Going 75-80 won't get you to work or home more than a couple of minutes faster.

ScarletLSG
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 8:04am
ScarletLSG: That disparity in the speed is the reason I hate the "diamond lane" HOVs like on 66. The diamond lanes are flying at 65 while the lane right next to it is crawling along at 20 - it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree that nobody should go a lot slower or a lot faster than the majority of the traffic, but I also think it's a mistake for the slower traffic to park it in the left lane and try to impose their preferred speed on everyone else. It bunches up the traffic and causes more problems - the best thing to do is stay to the right if you are slower.

I've never been a highly skilled driver myself and I'm just not comfortable driving at 80 so I usually can be found in the right lane tooling along at the speed limit.
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 9:15am
To me, anything over 80 mph is excessive and certainly aggressive driving is out of the question.

When I lived in Japan for a year, they considered Americans to be professional drivers. LOL! So anyone that rides with me is in safe hands. [;)]

Dina
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2004 at 9:49am
MYCROFTT,

You won't be lonely in that right lane. That's where I am too!! In fact, after this Friday, I MAY not be in a lane at all. THAT is when I get to go to court for going 82 in the HOV. I recently received the "possible punishments" for this reckless ticket from the state in the mail. EVEN THOUGH it is my first ticket in ALL of my driving years, I COULD get my license suspended for 30 days. YUM!!!

The problem with tooling along in the right lane in HOV is all of the left entrances. So the 80 mph-ers get pissed that the oncoming vehicles aren't going 80 mph on their entrance, so they weave around them in the right line ... and then go up MY a** to swerve back into the left lane. The 95/395 HOV design makes it almost impossible to "stay" in a lane and feel like you can consistently maintain the speed limit. Eventually someone will try to bully you.

UGH. ScarletLSG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic