Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Try Potomac Mills if Horner Rd is full

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 9:40am
quote:
Originally posted by WBSlug7
[br]Can someone tell me who I can contact at VDOT regarding Horner/slugging situations?

WBSlug7, you might have to go to the county for that.
gsteele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 10:23am
Do we have any statistics to show how many in the slugging community (drivers and riders) frequent these boards? I’m relatively new to slugging and it amazes me how well this de-centralized system works, but a grass roots effort to make a change would seems difficult if 25% of the slugging community does not use a forum (like this one) to keep up to date on slugging issues. The problem seems to be one of mass communication. Are there other ways to get the word out of a Horner exodus? Could we hang/distribute flyers at Horner to inform people of the alternative? Ad in local papers? Sorry if this is a newbie comment/suggestion.
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 11:03am
I think word of mouth is a good way and I've been trying to do that and promote Potomac when I ride with people. I've seen people are slowly turning around. I think it will take a bit of time. As for encouraging the police to ticket people, I think that is a bit unfair. We may actually get into a situation in the very near future where every lot is full and if we have the police sniffing around the lots looking to ticket, we will have lots of people getting tickets for no good reason. I don't think it is fair to punish people. Slowly the turnaround will come, we just have to be patient and give it time. More people are starting to use Potomac and probably the other lots too. I agree with the majority of people on the board though - 123 is a bear to get to and that in and of itself is a 30 min. commute!
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 12:08pm
I think it is perfectly fair for the police to be able to ticket illegal parkers. Maybe in the future ALL of the commuter lots will be overcrowded, but that isn't the case here. Lots like Potomac and 123 are very much vacant, and with the spill over form Horner it still wouldn't even fill one of those lots to capacity right now. When the time comes that we really have nowhere to park then I will say it is unfair, but even then there are always solutions. The point is that many of the lines aren't just exclusive at Horner, so it is only a convenience issue we are struggling with here. Since I too am just a newbie, I don't know how the public has dealt with communicating to others either. I just see problems arising and want to help solve it for everyone's sake.
aaron_the_prince View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron_the_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 2:04pm
I agree with WB. Although, ticketing illegal parkers at Horner may initially seem like a drastic measure. This issue is convienience. And, ticketing more illegal parkers at HOrner would be a certain incentive to get them to rethink their lot loyalty to Horner Rd. Ticketing illegal parkers will force Horner uses to seek alternatives to their usual routine. There are alternatives that commuter may actually find less painful than using Horner, its just that they are used to the pain of Horner Rd. And, finally, the county's excuse for not expanding lots like 234 or further expansion to Horner is that there are lots, like Potomac, that are not being used to even near capacity.

Whether they start ticketing Horner parkers or not. I am beffudled as to why anyone would want to put up with the hassle of Horner Rd, given the increasing congestion and headaches. I know I am using PM now.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 2:23pm
A lot of people are encouraging the use of Potomac which is fine. However, I might add that Potomac is not a county lot, and the owners of PM could change their parking policies without county approval. The point I would make is that the county needs to keep ahead of the game with the county lots before we get 2000 cars at Potomac and the the mall changes polices.

Bob
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 2:56pm
RoadRunner,
There aren't any shoppers before the mall opens. The spaces used by the commuters are rarely used by shoppers due to their location. Even in December the commuters will be gone before the shoppers would want to use those spaces.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 3:14pm
Thanks MDC! There's no way the shoppers could intervene with commuters. And if people are worried about their cars getting dinged up...what do you think is happening at Horner? How are cars parking in every which way any better at avoiding dings? As for it not being a county lot, when PM decides to take their lot back then we will worry about it. Again PM is an alternative, if PM was gone I'd use 123 or somewhere else. It doesnt hurt to try it for a week THEN see how it goes. Stop thinking of the negatives and focus on solutions.
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2004 at 6:24pm
I have NEVER seen shopping affect parking at PM. PM designated those particular spaces because they would affect their shoppers the least. [:)]
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2004 at 7:57am
Sorry if I was being rude RoadRunner, I am just tired of the comment-bashing that goes on in most of these threads, but I see your point. I think if anything PM would appreciate the commuters parking there because that's an incentive to them. By parking there makes it convenient for people to just "stop by" the mall to spend money on their way home, especially around the holiday season.

I also have to say that this week has been a pretty good week of slugging for me at PM, minus the one day I had to wait 20 mins in the evening at CC. I am happy about the willingness of a lot of drivers to make multiple stops. Have a great weekend!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
  Share Topic