Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Try Potomac Mills if Horner Rd is full

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cthomas25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 9:08am
Ok, I'm convinced. But what are the odds that I can find drivers to Rosslyn? If my odds are good then PM is a done deal for me. I'm tired of Horner Rd. and I've only been commuting for less than a week. [:o)]
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 10:00am
Getting to PM in the afternoons can be much quicker than Horner if you take the smart route:

- Take the Dale City/Rippon Landing Exit (exit after PW Pkwy/Horner Rd). This will take you off the HOV ramp and into the 95 exit lane by IKEA.

- Take the first exit towards Dale City and turn right at the end of the ramp towards Potomac Mills.

From here you have two options:

Option 1:
- Take the second right onto Gideon Dr (small white chapel on the right).
- Go past the light at Opitz Blvd/Smoketown Rd and make the second left at the McDonald's.
- Make a right onto Potomac Mills Cir and you will see the commuter lot on your left.
Result: ONE traffic light but requires quick maneuvering into center lane at Gideon Dr)

Option 2:
- Take the first right onto Potomac Mills Rd (Best Western).
Here you can either 1. Make the next left onto Metro Pl, past the light at Gideon Dr and make a right at Potomac Mills Circle by the McDonald's and left into the commuter lot OR 2. Go straigt on Potomac Mills Rd past Metro Pl and Gideon Dr until you reach the circle (Pier 1) and make a left to get to the lot.
Result: TWO traffic lights (maybe 3?) and no quick merging.

Here's a map of the area http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=N7olZmbMQl0%3d&longitude=xAgqf2mylE4%3d&name=Mc%20Donald%27s&countryid=250&country=US&address=14362%20Gideon%20Dr&city=Woodbridge&state=VA&zipcode=22192&phone=703%2d490%2d6691&cat=mcdonalds&spurl=0&searchtype=GenSearch

Either way it's much quicker than going through Horner lot and waiting at the lights on PW Pkwy and Telegraph Rd.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 10:11am
Rossylyn, Crystal City, and Pentagon are all very good lines at PM. DC is good most of the time but needs more support still. I'd say Rosslyn is probably the most popular spot at PM, which really annoys us CC slugs because we are still working on increasing our numbers. You can always get a ride but if you do get stranded, you can go elsewhere and hop the metro or take the bus. There are others who use these lines just to get to the metro and go into DC like L'Enfant.

Our issue lately is either having too many drivers or too many slugs waiting for the other destination. For example, yesterday was CC cars with Rosslyn slugs waiting (which rarely happens) and today was Rosslyn cars with CC slugs waiting (more typical). It might sound bad but the wait isn't that long. The after 7:30 crowd is much better than before I imagine with Horner being at full-capacity earlier nowadays.

Greg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 2:38pm
I've been reading several of the topics re: the use of PM over Horner. The problem resides with the evening commute home. While we all agree that SOME drivers will ask for PM, most will shout out Horner, and only if there are no Horner slugs will the driver start to call out other lots. While us sluggers can't expect drivers to go out of their way to help the first slugger in line, I think it's apparent that everyone fights to get to Horner (thereby causing it to be full by 7:30 now, when it used to be 8:00 and 8:30 a short time ago) b/c that's the first response of drivers in the evening.

A suggestion .... What if the bus gave people free rides from Horner to PM in the evenings, thereby not making us slugs wait for the lucky driver who asks for PM? I am posing this more for the folks who go to CC or Rosslyn b/c I know there are only a few buses that have routes there, but once you get to Horner, they could catch a DC or Pentagon/CC bus over to PM? Just a thought....
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 8:14pm
My experience with the bus from Horner to Potomac hasn't been good. The bus goes to Horner, drops off at two stops, and then has to wait with all the traffic going let on Telegraph. It can take forever to get through both of those lights.

My suggestion: Make Potomac Mills signs and hold'em high and proud!! I'll be looking for them!!
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 9:47pm
Uh oh. I sense another heated duel amongst the slugs. Not any longer is it hybrids vs. sluggers. Now its the Horner Roadies Vs. the Potomac Millers.

Stay tuned.

[:D]
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2004 at 10:15pm
I took three people to PM this afternoon from Rosslyn. This made the hybrids even more annoying,
especially since about 50% of the cars on the road at 4:30 were hybrids while I had 4 people in my car.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 8:35am
I love sarcasm, and it is true the PM vs. Horner lot issue has been causing some resentment amongst the slugs. Hope we won't be giving each other the stink eye in the future. Unfortunately, there will always be a preference for Horner from a driver's point of view. As for a free shuttle, I don't think the situation is bad enough yet for the county to implement it. The bus is only $1 from Horner to PM, but with the wait time you're better off just waiting in the slug line for a PM driver. It's a bit of an inconvenience to wait longer than Horner slugs, but I'm sure the Tackett's Mill and the Stafford crowd are just as disheartened. Personally, I'd rather wait a bit longer instead of putting up with the stress of finding a parking spot and sitting in the traffic to leave Horner.

Greg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 9:30am
I wasn't aware that it was only $1 for the Horner to PM connection. Good to know in case I ever need to use it. But I agree, it sounds like waiting for a PM driver is quicker than maneuvering thru Horner. I think as PM picks up momentum, us Horner Roadies [8D]will be able to appreciate the avcailability of more parking spots, and PM'ers will appreciate the less hectic atmosphere of car/bus/people chaos that is currently Horner Road.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic