Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - a threat to car-pooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 9:34am
I am fed up with that awful rotten egg smell when I am in a car behind a hybrid. I know this is sulfur dioxide and it is bad when the hybrid is accelerating. It seems to be only Hondas. Does anyone know if this is a tuning problem or do we just have to live with it? (hopefully only until next year)
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 5:48pm
Darrel Issa
quote:
Originally posted by the truth
[br]Who owns the HOV lanes in Virgina? Fed or State?

dickboyd@aol.com
the truth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 5:01pm
Who owns the HOV lanes in Virgina? Fed or State?
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 8:09am
felix,
Was that at 6:05AM?

This morning, I pulled into Horner at 6:30, and saw 5 SOV hybrids pull onto HOV there. While driving I saw 17 additional hybrids, counting the ones lined up for the Pentagon exit as we exited at Washington blvd. Didn't see a single cheater. Also saw 2 unmarked police cars, and 2 motorcycles during the ride. I imagine if I had been going to DC, I would have seen another 20-30 or more in the line to exit to the Pentagon.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2005 at 9:55am
It's a little annoying to still hear the Hybrid Harpies and Haters (HHH). The goal should be to end the exemption as planned but keep the HOV. Population growth and a serious lack of public transportation are the real issues. Look at California -- serious lack of public transportation and hugh population density = traffic jams. Need to keep the private contracter's greedy paws off the HOV. Need to enourage the slug lines by establishing adequate parking, building a peditrian walk over Franconia, etc.

End HOV exemptions for Hybrids but keep a Federal Tax benefit so encourage people to purchase. With the gas prices the way they are, this should be incentive enough to buy one.
felixthecat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felixthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2005 at 9:40am
I could careless if the excemption is dissolved tomorrow regarding the ability to ride solo in the HOV with a hybrid vehicle, that doesn't bother me. What does bother me though is when I hear so many slug folks state how they have counted X amount of solo hybrid folks in the HOV lanes that are causing the problems with congestion, blah blah blah, pound sand. On my way to work this morning, I counted 4 hybrid vehicles, including myself that had single occupancy, however more interesting is the fact that I counted 12 actual violaters, those with a normal car with only the driver occupying them (and a few of those were the state officials that appear to have the unmarked vehicles). My question is after we enforce the HO part of HOV for hybrid owners, what are the traditional commuters going to complain about then. The issue with congestion will not be solved by doing away with the hybrid excemption, and it is not feasible to think that growth will stop of slow down to curb the increasing congestion. Enforcement needs to be stepped up for those who are deliberately violating the rules. Correct this problem first and then worry about those "damn hybrid owners" that are causing you to sit in an extra 20 minutes of commute time.
the truth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2005 at 6:06pm
Oh putting the hybrids back on regular 95 lanes will really help the air quality and congestion... How about no slug lane 12 mpg vehicles on hov? NO SUV's on HOV!

OH YEA....
the truth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2005 at 6:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]OH and I forgot to add concerning the economy of hybrids - I got a $2,000 tax credit for 2004!

Saw gas creep over $2.00 a gallon yesterday. I'm feeling smarter and and smarter...

[:)]
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2005 at 2:06pm
OH and I forgot to add concerning the economy of hybrids - I got a $2,000 tax credit for 2004!

Saw gas creep over $2.00 a gallon yesterday. I'm feeling smarter and and smarter...
tugboat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2005 at 12:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Cox
[br]Bob's message is right on the mark. While hybrid vehicles are somewhat more fuel efficient than regular vehicles (although much less so than their proponents would have us believe), they are increasingly diminishing the efficiency of the HOV lanes. Their environmental is also is doubt--especially compared with having 3 riders in modern, fuel-efficient vehicles.

Bottom Line in my opionion: All of us who utilize and appreciate the slug system and how the HOV lanes used to work (3-5 years ago)must unite and demand that VDOT phase out the hybrid exemption as scheduled, if not before then. I'll be attending town meetings in PWC to argue our case. Come out and support us!

Go after the cheats not the hybrids. The more numerous cheats who are sure of not being caught are the bane of hov's existence. Just my own opinion. We've been on the HOV lanes since before they were enclosed and I've seen cheats all the time. Lack of enforcement is the problem, the fines aren't high enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 45>
  Share Topic