Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - a threat to car-pooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2002 at 2:22pm
Hopefully, by that tim, those in power will be able to determine if clean cars deserve to use the HOV lanes. The only thing that I can see where they contribute to the well being of the community is that they pollute less (significantly?) than the typical car. But does this give those with hybrids and natural gas cars the privilege of using the HOV lanes and save substantial time, I think not.

gg
bukie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2002 at 1:35pm
I have check into buying one of the hybrid cars and the law that allows them to drive in the HOV lanes expires in 2004. What will happen after that I do not know.

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2002 at 10:45pm
Amen! Since these hybrids don't have 3x the mileage of a regular car, and I seriously doubt they have 1/3 the emissions, widespread use of hybrids in HOV is a net loser for the environment. And the added congestion will slow EVERYBODY down, thus causing even MORE pollution.

Well, it's not like most of the people making that decision are chock full of logic or common sense -- those are qualities that are generally a detriment to a political career...

- Eric.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2002 at 8:47am
I wonder if state officials have thought of the long term implications of their policies on "alternative fuel" vehicles. I have read some articles on this and it is my understanding that in the not too distant future, the auto makers will be greatly increasing production of hybrids. Are my fellow slugs aware that soon there will be hybrid sport utes? (Possibly next year). Remember that there is also currently no mileage requirement for HOV - just that it be a "hybrid."

With the rapid advance of technology, it may be difficult in a few years to differentiate between hybrid and conventional.

There are many issues here. My main concern is that the HOV lanes are first and foremost for HOV. At the very minimum, state officials should be careful about stating or implying that any hybrid will qualify as HOV-1 for all time. If the HOV lanes get glommed up, there will need to be changes to the law.

There is another issue that is troubling when one thinks about it. Should anyone be able to essentially buy their way into HOV? We need to preserve the flow of HOV for everyone.

Don't get me wrong - these vehicles are good overall and they currently are not a problem at all. I just wanted to air out some of my thoughts on the long term picture.

Bob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445>
  Share Topic