Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - a threat to car-pooling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 45>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2005 at 8:09am
felix,
Was that at 6:05AM?

This morning, I pulled into Horner at 6:30, and saw 5 SOV hybrids pull onto HOV there. While driving I saw 17 additional hybrids, counting the ones lined up for the Pentagon exit as we exited at Washington blvd. Didn't see a single cheater. Also saw 2 unmarked police cars, and 2 motorcycles during the ride. I imagine if I had been going to DC, I would have seen another 20-30 or more in the line to exit to the Pentagon.
the truth View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the truth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 5:01pm
Who owns the HOV lanes in Virgina? Fed or State?
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2005 at 5:48pm
Darrel Issa
quote:
Originally posted by the truth
[br]Who owns the HOV lanes in Virgina? Fed or State?

dickboyd@aol.com
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 9:34am
I am fed up with that awful rotten egg smell when I am in a car behind a hybrid. I know this is sulfur dioxide and it is bad when the hybrid is accelerating. It seems to be only Hondas. Does anyone know if this is a tuning problem or do we just have to live with it? (hopefully only until next year)
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 11:34am
quote:
Originally posted by the truth

Oh putting the hybrids back on regular 95 lanes will really help the air quality and congestion... How about no slug lane 12 mpg vehicles on hov? NO SUV's on HOV!

OH YEA....

Virginia currently has HOT lanes the cost of admission is purchasing a hybrid. The purpose of the HOV is to move people and according to the Post they are doing that quite well. Single rider vehicles only move one person so removing the exemption should encourage the people with the hybrids to pick up slugs (they have become acustomed to using the HOV and may not want to go back). Also, I would not object to HOV-4 and an extra 1/2 hour in the evening.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 1:02pm
The problem remains NOT with the hybrids but with the overall congestion. Regular lanes are already full and adding cars (hybrids) to them only makes them worse. Each of the drivers in the regular lanes has a reason for not carpooling - a portion of the hybrid drivers will have a similar reason. If SOV hybrids in HOV lanes isn't the answer, then toll becomes the next best alternative to the regular lane mess.
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 1:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]The problem remains NOT with the hybrids but with the overall congestion. Regular lanes are already full and adding cars (hybrids) to them only makes them worse. Each of the drivers in the regular lanes has a reason for not carpooling - a portion of the hybrid drivers will have a similar reason. If SOV hybrids in HOV lanes isn't the answer, then toll becomes the next best alternative to the regular lane mess.

[:0]Wait a minute. Where did these hybrid drivers come from? My guess is that a high proportion of them are people who have been riding in the GP lanes and have made the switch due to the exemption. Most of the people I know who are driving the hybrids were not sluggers they either wanted out of the GP or were bus riders. The idea should be to reduce congestion, single rider cars do not do that. Letting them into the HOV lanes just spreads it out. What needs to be done is come up with ways to make carpooling more of an option such as adding more exits from the HOV to places other than DC & Pgon.
Mr. Bill View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 1:33pm
One more thing-my guess is that if the hybrid drivers could use the HOV lanes to get to work, then lifting the exemption would make them candidates to be slug drivers or riders. If they were to get involved in the system then those cars will not be congesting the GP lanes.

NO EXCEPTIONS TO HOV.
Trotski99 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 3:22pm
I think HOV as a social experiment has been a huge waste of taxpayer money. For all the extra money spent on all the overpasses, on-and-off-ramps, signs, enforcement, etc. it would have been much better to have just added two more lanes in each direction. Ironically, these HOV lanes have added more to congestion because "normal" traffic has not been expanded as much because taxpayer dollars have been spent on HOV.

Thank god they've started letting the hybrid vehicles in the HOV lanes because at least now they're not totally empty while the "normal" lanes are jam-packed. HOV lanes were a high-minded attempt at moulding public behavior to accomplish a vague goal of reducing congestion. It has failed miserably because people don't want to have to share their cars with complete strangers every morning just to get to work in less than 2 hours.

Conversely, I think the idea of "HOT" lanes is a much more realistic (and more market-driven) idea that will be resoundingly successful if implemented. I would gladly pay an extra 25, 50 cents or even a dollar (or perhaps even 2 dollars?) to be able to get to work in a hurry if pressed for time.

The idea of transportation infrastructure is to get people to where they want to go, not to force them into deviant behavior: picking up hitchhikers (the desired effect) or breaking the law (for those who drive alone in the lanes). Simply opening these lanes to all traffic would be the biggest boost to the economy because the slightly reduced congestion.

VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 3:59pm
The problem with Troski's position is that if you open HOV to the masses, then everyone's commute will be 2+ hours. HOT lanes are for the rich: if you can't afford the $2+ (and it'll be more than $2) for the tolls, then you are stuck in the regular lanes. If you decide not to pay tolls and carpool, then you are stuck in congestion in HOT lanes. It's a simple Catch-22. Darned if you do and darned if you don't. So basically this area will be going to he** in the ol' proverbial handbasket in a few more years. Just wait until the construction begins on the new HOT lane exits and entrances. I pray that I'll be able to find a decent paying job outside city before this happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 45>
  Share Topic