Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 2:47pm
I wasnt judging the NOVA/DC people in general. Just the ones who want to complain about slugging in general. Anyway, I'm sure that driver would have gladly let you off anywhere along the HOV lanes if you thought your life was really in that much danger. Hint (thats probably why you were getting a bad attitude from her). But Im sure the next complaint would have been a lack of sidewalks along the HOV lanes for "Emergencies" like yours.
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence"
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 3:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]I wasnt judging the NOVA/DC people in general. Just the ones who want to complain about slugging in general. Anyway, I'm sure that driver would have gladly let you off anywhere along the HOV lanes if you thought your life was really in that much danger. Hint (thats probably why you were getting a bad attitude from her). But Im sure the next complaint would have been a lack of sidewalks along the HOV lanes for "Emergencies" like yours.
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence"

Safety first-and remember:

Common sense is the measure of the possible; it is composed of experience and prevision; it is calculation applied to life.
--Henri-Frederic Amiel

Live Long and Prosper
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 4:18pm
My favorite...

"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something."

--Plato

[;)]
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 4:46pm
Uhura, I agree with your point that seatbelts should be working front and rear for the sake of safety. Obviously, a car won't pass the safety inspection if the front seatbelts don't work, but I don't believe the rears seatbelts need to be available. However, with the use of seatbelts being more universal and often cited as a major reason for injuries and fatalities in car crashes, most people expect working seatbelts in the rear.

IMHO, I think you could have made your point without embellishing it with other minor points and incidents.

Goober
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 9:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by goober
[br]Uhura, I agree with your point that seatbelts should be working front and rear for the sake of safety. Obviously, a car won't pass the safety inspection if the front seatbelts don't work, but I don't believe the rears seatbelts need to be available. However, with the use of seatbelts being more universal and often cited as a major reason for injuries and fatalities in car crashes, most people expect working seatbelts in the rear.

IMHO, I think you could have made your point without embellishing it with other minor points and incidents.

Goober

LOL-Some of the folks here are simply AMAZING.

Please be sure to complain to Admin about the fact that I EMBELLISHED the main point with minor points & incidents.

My honest opinion is this: fu$k you.

Live Long and Prosper
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 9:21am
why does everyone have such a problem with Uhura wanting seatbelts in the back seat that work? I'm a little confused. If I were a rider, I would want my seatbelt to work, as I'm sure all of you would. I don't think it sounds like a good time to go flying over the front passenger seat if we were in an accident. That is just me though and hope that this post is not considered an embellishment of the main point with minor points and incidents. GEESH
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 9:51am
quote:
Originally posted by pplmvrs
[br]why does everyone have such a problem with Uhura wanting seatbelts in the back seat that work? I'm a little confused. If I were a rider, I would want my seatbelt to work, as I'm sure all of you would. I don't think it sounds like a good time to go flying over the front passenger seat if we were in an accident. That is just me though and hope that this post is not considered an embellishment of the main point with minor points and incidents. GEESH

Pplmvrs, I don't think that the problem is with the message-I think it's with the messenger: Apparently, I have stepped on a few soft toes here, with my witty way of expressing myself (LOL) and so the saga continues each time I post to the web site. Honestly, I could say something like "Slugging is great!" & some people here would take issue with "the way it was said."

Some background if you're bored: "People" have contacted Admin complaining about me (whether or not it's the same person using different screen names to amplify the point is in question.) Also, I have invited Admin to make the nature of these complaints known to me so that I could stop doing whatever I am doing that is so offensive. No response yet. In addition, "people" even had the nerve to spoof Admin and start a thread telling others to stop responding to my comments. The real Admin deleted this thread. I started a thread inviting my "fans" to let it all out, and I did not get one valid comment about what it was that I supposedly did to offend everyone. Just more name calling and toddler tantrums. Admin deleted that thread as well. Oh well.

I believe the complaints to be invalid since I have never violated the user agreement, and again- I am really interested in seeing exactly what these complaints are.

The simple truth is that I refuse to be cyberbullied, and someone got upset. Then, a few "joiners" joined in. They tried everything from telling me to "shut up and stop posting to the site" to sending me personal emails. Bandwagoneering /mobbing is definitely not dead.

Live Long and Prosper
protocol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protocol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 10:32am
My problem is consistency. Uhura once derided someone for his not being "internet savvy" (saying "email" when he meant "posting in a forum") yet she appears to be unable to simply Reply to messages without quoting the entire message every time. It takes up unnecessary space and is quite annoying to read.
kgirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 10:51am
Again, lots of complaining, but where is the action. I think its completely reasonable to expect a safe ride, including working seatbelts. But, what exactly do you accomplish by "venting" and arguing with all these people who don't own that particular unsafe car? All you would have had to do is mention to the driver your opinion that you believe that if they are going to pick up passengers they should probably ensure that the seatbelts work properly, or at least inform riders, prior to getting into a vehicle, that they do not work. How hard is that? You said your piece, the driver can do with it what they want, done. I was assuming that we are all adults. And, if you did do your piece and tell the driver your opinion, and wanted to inform slugs of a vehicle with unsafe conditions, fine, great, but why argue about the issue?
I'm pretty sure that Admin's vision for the purpose of this site was to help inform slugs and give new and veteran slugs a place for Q&A, etc.
So, post the make and model of the car, what you believe to be the issue with it, and be done.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 11:17am
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Wow, Just seems to me people in the NOVA/DC area can always find something to complain about. With slugging comes risks as everything in life. Why, why, why complain? Safety Issue or not. As there are hundreds of thousands of people in the area and counting - there are just as many ways to do things. Ones who complain about smells, trash, or seatbelts not working in cars really need to start driving themselves or taking the bus. Maybe you could sue the bus company for seatbelts not working. But this is an all volunteer slugging system. Slugging is a great way to commute. Quit your b!tching.

Genius my friend...Simply brilliant. I could not have said it better myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic