Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 3:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by Uhura
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]I don't think omorosa is a racial remark. Preaching by example, the title of this topic is...a safety issue.

Emancilla, I am glad to see that you have changed you M.O.-Yes, you are correct. We have gotten extremely off topic. This has turned into the I'll Bash Uhura-Uhura Defends Herself thread.

A concern for safety was my motivation for posting the warning-esp since the driver seemed to have deliberately kept quiet about the seat belt until we were well on our way.

I wanted everyone to be warned. That is all.

Live Long and Prosper

Uhura, I hope that you change your attitude too.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 3:58pm
WOW! I can't believe how much animosity there is! We are way off topic. This is supposed to be about passenger safety.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 6:56pm
quote:
[br]See, the law enforcement officer could give the driver a citation or the over 16 passenger a citation. But-my concern was not for citations, it was for my safety. I am simply unwilling to ride in a vehicle without a seatbelt on-especially on a dark & rainy morning.

I haven't been on here in a few days and only now saw your reply. You are incorrect on the ticket--a driver cannot be ticketed for an over-16 front-seat passenger not wearing a seatbelt. I can say this from personal experience because Miss Piggy gave me such a ticket in Charlottesville once and I went to court and got it thrown out.

Moreover, the law applies to the FRONT seats only (except for child restraints in the back as appropriate). I refer you to Va. Code sec. 46.2-1094. Paragraph A provides: "Each person at least sixteen years of age and occupying the front seat of a motor vehicle equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices, shall wear the appropriate safety belt system at all times while the motor vehicle is in motion on any public highway. A child under the age of sixteen years, however, shall be protected as required by the provisions of this chapter."

The law that states that you can be ticketed for passengers under 16 is section 46.2-1095(B): "Any person transporting any child less than sixteen years old, except for those required pursuant to subsection A to be secured in a child restraint device, shall ensure that such child is provided with and properly secured by an appropriate safety belt system when driving on the highways of Virginia in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices."

......NOW, I am not saying that you are wrong to refuse a ride where there is no seat belt. I would do so too. I feel naked without one. Actually on Sunday I was riding in the back seat of a cab in New York and I didn't have a seat belt on (don't know why I didn't put it on, I just didn't) and it was rather scary given how aggressive the cabbies are! My point is simply that your assertions about the law were incorrect.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:46pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
quote:
[br]See, the law enforcement officer could give the driver a citation or the over 16 passenger a citation. But-my concern was not for citations, it was for my safety. I am simply unwilling to ride in a vehicle without a seatbelt on-especially on a dark & rainy morning.

I haven't been on here in a few days and only now saw your reply. You are incorrect on the ticket--a driver cannot be ticketed for an over-16 front-seat passenger not wearing a seatbelt. I can say this from personal experience because Miss Piggy gave me such a ticket in Charlottesville once and I went to court and got it thrown out.

Moreover, the law applies to the FRONT seats only (except for child restraints in the back as appropriate). I refer you to Va. Code sec. 46.2-1094. Paragraph A provides: "Each person at least sixteen years of age and occupying the front seat of a motor vehicle equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices, shall wear the appropriate safety belt system at all times while the motor vehicle is in motion on any public highway. A child under the age of sixteen years, however, shall be protected as required by the provisions of this chapter."

The law that states that you can be ticketed for passengers under 16 is section 46.2-1095(B): "Any person transporting any child less than sixteen years old, except for those required pursuant to subsection A to be secured in a child restraint device, shall ensure that such child is provided with and properly secured by an appropriate safety belt system when driving on the highways of Virginia in any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1968, equipped or required by the provisions of this title to be equipped with a safety belt system, consisting of lap belts, shoulder harnesses, combinations thereof or similar devices."

......NOW, I am not saying that you are wrong to refuse a ride where there is no seat belt. I would do so too. I feel naked without one. Actually on Sunday I was riding in the back seat of a cab in New York and I didn't have a seat belt on (don't know why I didn't put it on, I just didn't) and it was rather scary given how aggressive the cabbies are! My point is simply that your assertions about the law were incorrect.

((Yawn)) Ok-you win. Is this over now?

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]Quick Question Uhura,

WHAT kind of job do you hold that allows you the freedom to post ALL day long? I'm blown away, because I come to this site to read and gain legitimate information regarding slugging and HOV. I stop by every few days, during a lunch or coffee break and then have to sift through countless posts from you. I did a five minute exercise and found that in the past 24 hours -- mostly business hours -- you've posted over 15 times ... sometimes very lengthy commentary ... and the number was increasing as I was counting.

I know that you believe that you're doing nothing "wrong" in the strictest sense of the word. But for those of use that don't have as much time as you, I would ask kindly that you just post the necessary information as it regards to slugging and HOV. Additionally, though it is a 'feature' of the site, the "reply with quotes" feature adds to the mess the rest of us need to wade through to get to the meat of what could be an informative post. Again, I would ask that you consider those of us with less time than yourself. Keeping with the essence of the slugging community, we all need to be considerate of others. I would ask that you take this request under consideration and perhaps act accordingly.

ScarletLSG

I am a 350 lb house wife with nothing to do all day, you? Also, I think and type rather quickly.

Sorry you feel forced to "sift" through hundreds of my posts. I;ll try to keep it down for your sake.

Live Long and Prosper
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2004 at 8:51pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]I don't think omorosa is a racial remark. Preaching by example, the title of this topic is...a safety issue.

Emancilla, I am glad to see that you have changed you M.O.-Yes, you are correct. We have gotten extremely off topic. This has turned into the I'll Bash Uhura-Uhura Defends Herself thread.

A concern for safety was my motivation for posting the warning-esp since the driver seemed to have deliberately kept quiet about the seat belt until we were well on our way.

I wanted everyone to be warned. That is all.

Live Long and Prosper

Uhura, I hope that you change your attitude too.

I may. But if people keep attacking me, what kind of response should you expect? Think about it--I posted a warning about safety & the haters couldn't help themselves. You may have noticed that I only respond when provoked.

Live Long and Prosper
protocol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote protocol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 7:54am
Nice job posting the whole thread yet again. Thanks.
And here's a revolutionary new idea for you: DON'T respond to posts that provoke you. Rise above. Be bigger. Turn the other cheek and all that and allow us to return this board to its purpose: HELPING PEOPLE. If you feel you have been wronged, so what? Very few people on this board actually know others here IRL, so just shrug the "insults" off.
uhura2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 9:15am
quote:
Originally posted by protocol
[br]Nice job posting the whole thread yet again. Thanks.
And here's a revolutionary new idea for you: DON'T respond to posts that provoke you. Rise above. Be bigger. Turn the other cheek and all that and allow us to return this board to its purpose: HELPING PEOPLE. If you feel you have been wronged, so what? Very few people on this board actually know others here IRL, so just shrug the "insults" off.

Protocol, I think you are correct about this: Perhaps if the ignorant comments are ignored, they will eventually stop.

I will also formally ask the usual suspects to STOP and "turn the other cheek" as well. Clearly the embittered responses are due to past "insults" (real or imagined), because a simple post about safety and wearing seatbelts does not warrant this type of response.

Have a great day.
Dhacim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dhacim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 12:23pm
WTF??? Did they kick you off and you started over? Or is this yet another spoof?
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2004 at 12:51pm
You know, if people didnt just go off and start with Uhura, there would be no problem, instead everyone has to take her remarks too damn serious and then go off topic, I have been guilty of this myself. EVERY ONE NEEDS TO GROW THE HECK UP!

:'}
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic