Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offensive Music - REALLY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offensive Music - REALLY
    Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 10:20am
Hi All-

This morning I had the pleasure of riding with a woman who was listening to a local morning show. The dj's were off-color, but nothing terrible. The music they were playing, however, was unbelievable! The lyrics couldn't be termed as "suggestive" because there was nothing left to the imagination - it was just plain disgusting. Now, I'm no shrinking violet, but this was ridiculous. I know that slugging is a symbiotic relationship between driver and rider - and I am on both sides of the equation - but please, think about what you are listening to when you are the driver. Anything that involves telling a woman to "turn around and bite the pillow" [:I]is over the line.

Alright, that was my rant, back to your day!

Thanks!
Erin
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 10:40am
Ering, and what did this woman say when you told her the music offended you? Or did you?

If you said nothing, you implied to her it didn't bother you. Drivers aren't mindreaders. I respectfully submit that too many slugs are way too shy, timid, & afraid to tell drivers in a polite way that something is amiss during a particular HOV trip. Slugs, if you hold it in, you will get what your silence agrees to accept. [:)]
uhura. View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uhura. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 11:02am
yes that 105.9 Smooth Jazz station can be very offensive.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 11:35am
Where does it say that she was listening to 105.9 Smooth Jazz? Thats not offensive music...

quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]yes that 105.9 Smooth Jazz station can be very offensive.

kgirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 11:39am
I agree with sluDge that if it was that offensive to you, you simply could have said so instead of bottling it in and thinking about HOW RUDE that was all day only to vent online. But, really, whats the big deal? Its just music, its just a ride in the car, there aren't children present. I don't think the driver should have to ask the rider what station they would prefer to listen to, its their car! Just say you are offended, close your ears and roll your eyes at the state of Young People these days.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 12:08pm
This is a tough one, telling a drive that something is offensive can be an issue with some people. However, it seems that once you get into a car as a slug you sign up to the car owners preferences. Sort of tacit approval. If you dont approve then you always have the right not to ride with that person again. Who is to know what offends people these days......some people are offended by Rap music and others gospel.......
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 12:47pm
I still believe in the rule that it's the driver's choice in what music they like to hear. I'm sure many won't mind changing it if you asked politely, but my opinion is that if you are worried about it then bring your own headphones/player. I carry around my discman sometimes when I don't feel like having to deal with my outer environment. I've sat in a particular ride many times that I've nicknamed "storybook man", because the driver always listens to audio books. It's like being read a nap-time story. I enjoy finding out the listening preferences of others. I meant to start a post asking why people feel they need to put on Smooth Jazz or WTOP, because although I see the point of it, I would rather listen to more variety. But hey, I'm a slug and if I don't like it I can take the bus. [;)]

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
ering View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 2:42pm
No, I didn't ask her to change it as it is her car. The point is to THINK about what you are listening to when others who you don't know are present. As I said, I slug and I drive. When I drive I listen to Big 100 - most riders I've had seem to enjoy it as I generally see them tapping along or singing under their breath at some point during the ride. Even if they don't enjoy the music it's hard to be offended by it. I'm not exactly over-the-hill either at the ripe old age of 29. This was offensive, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that people you don't know may be offended by such lyrics. I'd just like drivers to consider such things before they pick up slugs.

Erin

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 3:04pm
Exactly ... either it was her car and she wasn't offended by the music, or she may have been preoccupied with another thought or problem and the radio may have been just background noise to her, or another person may have driven the car last and she didn't bother to change the station. Who knows? I agree people can be more sensitive, but sometimes other priorities predominate their minds. The point is if Ering was offended and didn't politely say something to the driver, Ering lives with the consequences. It's Ering's choice to either be active and say something, or be passive and offended. Ering chose the latter. We should not expect something that offends us to also offend someone else. We're all different and the challenge in all our lives is to learn to get along through two-way respect for each other. Keep on sluggin' ! [:)]
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 4:11pm
You know what I find sad? If she has kids, she no doubt listens to the same station when they're in the car. And if her kids are typical, they learn the words to catchy tunes and then go on to sing them to the rest of their pre-schoolmates.

Funny part is that these little sponges have no idea what they're singing about! I have a "for example" for you: I was riding in the car with my daughter and 4 year-old grandson. She was playing a CD with a bunch of old-school songs, one of which was Rick James' "Super Freak." I couldn't help it, but I busted out laughing when my grandson sang, "She's a verrrry kinky gurrrl...the kind you don't bring home to mudddder!" Have to say that's a lot tamer than "turn around and bite the pillow."

ANYhow...I don't think it's our place as slugs to tell the driver the music is offensive. Ya gotta harden up! Slugging isn't for sissies!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic