Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Bills Being Introduced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Bills Being Introduced
    Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 3:02pm
Thought many of you might be interested in an e-mail I received from Michele McQuigg, VA 51st District Representative. Looks like actions are being taken to KEEP hybrids in the HOV, but not issue any new CF plates. Law enforcement vehicle laws may change and semis may be prohibited completely. The full e-mail and links to bills are below:

I thought that you'd be interested in the following bills. More bills may be introduced next week.
Best Wishes,
Michèle

HB99
High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; abolishes 'sunset' on vehicles bearing clean fuel license
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb99

HB1106
High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; abol. sunset prov. on use by vehicle bearing clean spec. fuels
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1106

HB1528
High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; prohibits use; certain trucks and tractor-trailer combinations
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1528

HB1531
High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; allows use for emergency vehicles
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1531

HB1574
High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; limits use by certain law-enforcement vehicles
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1574

HB2849
Clean special fuel license plates
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb2849

SB1264
HOV lanes
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=sb1264

Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 3:02pm
So you didnt check out the first thread that I had just made?

-Robert
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 3:04pm
It wasn't there when I started my post. I got sidetracked midway though posting.

ScarletLSG

Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 3:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]It wasn't there when I started my post. I got sidetracked midway though posting.

ScarletLSG[/br]

Either way its a bunch of crap. Dealers are gonna make so much money selling these things. They could bump the price into the sky. Also, I think its stupid that basically the plates are for HOV lanes. So even if you do buy a clean fuel vehicle after July, you get a normal plate. Really they should make the hybrids now get HOV Exempt plates, and then continue making clean fuel. Clean Fuel just meant HOV Exempt. Im also confused as to how the law can say that it has to be a specialized fuel, when all the Hybrids out now still use conventional gasoline.

-Rob
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 3:56pm
quote:
So even if you do buy a clean fuel vehicle after July, you get a normal plate.

-Rob

What? How will they tell a CF from a regular? Pull the ONE over to check? That will REALLY HELP TRAFFIC.

Fuller Underwood II
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 4:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by defender
[br]
quote:
So even if you do buy a clean fuel vehicle after July, you get a normal plate.

-Rob

What? How will they tell a CF from a regular? Pull the ONE over to check? That will REALLY HELP TRAFFIC.

Fuller Underwood II

Well it wont matter after July 1 2005. If your car has a clean fuel plate then your allowed to be on there. If you dont have a clean fuel plate, wether you have a clean fuel car or not. You CANNOT be on the HOV lanes. After July 1st 2005, they wont be issuing the plates to clean fuel cars anymore. They will get a normal plate, and have to ride in the normal lanes. Its gonna be hilarious how on June 31st the price of these cars are gonna be through the roof with dealers trying to sell them at insane prices, but the next day, the price is gonna drop drastically because they no longer offer you anything except good mileage (there original intent). Also, I hope people dont get duped after July 1st and buy a clean fuel car 2nd hand that has CF plates, because when they go to the DMV they will get regular plates. I can see alot of people trying to sell off there Hybrids if this bill passes.

-Rob
hondu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2005 at 8:51am
Why the defeatism? This is a PROPOSED bill, I believe sponsored by Delegate Moran from Alexandria (?) Time to rally the troops to let him and the rest of the folk in Richmond how we feel about his obvious lack of awareness of what it's like to commute the 95-395 corridor five days a week with three or (usually) four people in your car while others get to ride solo.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2005 at 9:14am
quote:
Originally posted by hondu
[br]Why the defeatism? This is a PROPOSED bill, I believe sponsored by Delegate Moran from Alexandria (?) Time to rally the troops to let him and the rest of the folk in Richmond how we feel about his obvious lack of awareness of what it's like to commute the 95-395 corridor five days a week with three or (usually) four people in your car while others get to ride solo.

This is a proposed bill after Michelle Mquigg had a poll and questionaire on her website. If we didnt make it known by simply filling that out (which I did) than there is much else. If someone isnt going to take 5 minutes out to fill that out, then why would they take the time to do something more drastic. I wrote several letters a few weeks ago asking for them to stop allowing Hybrids. I see this as more of a compromise really. We wont have anymore Hybrids added after July, but the original Hybrid people get what they want. I guess its all politics.

-Rob
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2005 at 2:54pm
HB1574 is dead. All of the random law enforcement vehicles will continue to drive in HOV. I guess cops are just better than the rest of us. So much for setting an example. I'm surprised they didn't try to add elected officials to the exemption.

Everyone needs to contact their delegate and senator immediately and get support lined up for HB2849! We also need SB1264, HB1106 and HB99 quashed!

Update, HB 1106 and HB99 look dead. HB2849 hasn't had any hearings yet. Your emails of support to your reps will help!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2005 at 10:51am
re The hybrid bill sponsored by McQuigg

It states:

"The provisions of this section shall expire on July 1, 2005, and no new license plates provided for in this section shall be issued after that date".

I am confused. Does this imply that all of the existing hybrids with CF plates will be allowed to use the HOV for all time (ie Grandfathered)? Does this bill eliminate the 2006 expiration date for the hybrids or is this in ADDITION to the 2006 expiration?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic