Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do not Dirty my Car Seat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 10:07am
I had a lady get in my car with one of those bags on wheels and when she opened my back door, I offered to put the bag in the back, but she said no. It was a RAINY day!! So, instead of putting the bag on the floor in the back she tossed it into the back seat, wheels down and then dragged it across my seat!!! I said something to her about it...actually I said, "I can't believe you just dragged that across my seat!" The front seat passenger couldn't believe it either. She just looked at me, smiled, and asked if I thought the weather would clear up anytime soon.
I picked her up at the Pentagon, going to Potomac Mills
Moody Girl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 12:02pm
I must say I was surprised when I read the responses to Sylvia's post. I cannot believe that so many of you think her request is so unreasonable. Although, I have noticed how rude and ungrateful some of my fellow slugs can be [:(], she should not have to go out and buy seat covers, plastic or put down newspapers to keep her car from being ruined! She makes the car payments we don't!

I think the moral of the story her is: Treat others as you would want them to treat you. That goes for their property as well.
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 1:07pm
Yes, moody, but the point is that not all slugs are going to be conscientious of their bags. If the driver wants to nip the issue in the bud, they can ask the slug to put the bag on the floor before they even get inside - or buy seat covers or blankets to put over the seats. There are many instances in life when you shouldn't *have* to say anything or go out of your way, but unfortunately, that's not real life most of the time.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 2:10pm
pb1974, I realize that we do not live in a perfect world. However, it seems that most folks use that as an excuse to leave their common sense and respect for others at home. That is if they ever had it to begin with. [?]

I am sure that I am about to hit a nerve here, but, the folks that drive are just as important to this system as the the folks that are waiting for a ride. If a driver cannot make a request without being criticized for the way they handle it or told that they should alter their way of doing things then eventually they will find another way to work. If enough of the drivers get fed up, where will this leave the riders? I am guessing...standing in an empty commuter lot or using their own car and their own gas money. [B)]

gj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 7:18pm
Well I have to admit, at first I thought this was just another silly complaint. But Sylvia's post stuck in my head and all week I have been more conscious of where I place my bag. So I'll have to agree with all the folks that suggested a polite, friendly reminder. May not work 100% of the time, but I bet it'll work 90% of the time.

gj
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 9:19am
it's ok for drivers to make requests - but this one is a little silly. BUY SEAT COVERS.

sometimes drivers make too many requests. it gets absurd. Some people shouldn't be drivers, IMHO.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 9:26am
I think it's a reasonable request not to drag a bag across the seat. I tell my children not to drag their rolling book bag across the back. Place bag on floor, remove it first or last. Common sense and courtesy. A lot like wiping your feet as you enter a house.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 10:15am
Ladies & Gentleman,
It seems that gorc is the perfect example of one of those rude and obnoxious folks I referred to in my last post. Maybe we as slugs, could use the money we save on gas, car maintenance, etc. to buy seat covers to put on our bags and over our clothes and save the drivers the harassment they receive from making a simple request. Hey Gorc, maybe some people should not slug at all.

kgirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 10:41am
What is the big deal?
Yes, people should in general be respectful of others property. Is that not just a golden rule? If you believe someone is not obeying by our life rules, then say something. If the person doesn't believe they should abide by the rules that most of us agree to, then don't pick them up. I think the dragging across the seat is an exception to the rule. I always have my bag on my lap and drag the seatbelt all the way around it. Probably defeats the purpose of being belted in, but whatever.
In life not everyone is going to do what you think is right. Either say something and feel at peace with yourself that you tried, or don't say anything and acknowledge that in a world of adults you can't exactly tell people how to behave. Yes, it is your property and you have a right to ask people to treat it with respect. If you say something right away, when they get in your car, and they do not accommodate your request, you also have every right to say, "please step out of my car if you refuse to respect my property"
All I'm saying is, voice your opinion, take care of the situation as it happens. What is the point of stewing all day for some stranger that put their dirty bag on your car seat? I think there are bigger issues that you could spend your time on. --and yes, I realize the irony that I just spent 2 whole minutes on this. But, I'm not stewing, I'm calming voicing my opinion on how I think these incredibly small issues could be resolved without much hassle.
I for one appreciate each and every car I ride in, even the dirty ones. peace! [:D]
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 11:40am
hey, if you post (read: whine) here about something, expect responses. If you only want people that will agree with you, this is NOT the place.

What you think of me personally, I do not care.

Fortunately, most drivers are pleasant, make reasonable requests and don't expect their cars to stay pristine when more than 1000 strangers get in and out of them every year. They realize that. And yeah, I am a driver from time to time.

I think "Moody" is an understatement concerning you. I can think of a better word. Begins with a B.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic