Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will you take a third?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 1:37pm
I think it depends on where you pick up. Sometimes if you take a third there is not enough slugs left for the rest of the cars who are WAITING to pick up riders. You really need to asssess the situation and use common sense.
EnufisEnuf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnufisEnuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 4:11pm
Calm down Pana! She is a firecracker! Must be a Latin Lady!
koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 4:20pm
I've seen it in the afternoon from 14th & NY and also from Horner. I haven't really seen it at Potomac yet. I think for the most part its never really a problem. I think we are seeing it more now because it is cold out and everyone just wants to get home. That's my 2 cents.

Cruisin in HOV
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 4:21pm
ufisEnuf Posted - 02 Mar 2005 : 16:11:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calm down Pana! She is a firecracker! Must be a Latin Lady!

Daaaaaaaaamn right! [:X] How'd you guess?
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 4:28pm
Also, carleric, I slug from the Pentagon in the evening and in the morning from Springfield and let me tell you, they are all jumpy to get in first. I see people cut on a daily basis. But what sucks is that the people getting cut infront of don't say anything. I guess to avoid an argument since it isn't really worth it, but there might be a small handfull of people who do it and since I get there at the same time everyday, I see the same people doing it probably. I stopped going to Bob's for just that reason, they are rude up there - the drivers AND the riders!!!
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2005 at 5:59pm
What time do you (or did you) get to Bob's. I've seen civility, I've seen rudeness - but I wouldn't generalize everyone as being rude.

I'm usually there between 6:30 and 6:45. (of course 5 minutes makes a big difference...)
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2005 at 7:19am
And I bet those line-jumpers at Bob's are the same ones who risk life and limb by running across OKM Rd in the middle of the block, and it's just too much bother for them to cross OKM safely in the crosswalk with the light at the intersection. [:(] Some folks just can't slow their lives down a bit to obey the laws and the rules of politeness. Be safe and polite, y'all. [;)]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2005 at 11:52am
If there are four riders waiting for a ride, and the weather is not bad, I don't like to take a third. My reason for this is now that fourth rider (who would become a lone rider) may have to wait much longer for a ride home. If there's five or more...sure come on in! [:)]
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2005 at 2:19pm
When I used to go to Bob's I didn't get there until about 7:20, and yes, sluDgE, they probably are the same ones that race across OKM. It bothered me that they would rather risk their lives to run across 6+ lanes of traffic just to get a ride 2 minutes before me. The one, and only, day that I saw a cop at the lot was actually humorous to me b/c people were still running across the street and the cop was just giving out tickets. I wouldn't ever wish anything bad on anybody, but if I had the choice to get to work ALIVE and get there a minute late, i'd still choose to get there alive, but that's just me.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2005 at 8:03am
quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]

Depend what you mean by compensation. Look at the larger view. People ask to "take a third" when the waiting-pickup lines are long and the cars are plentiful. By taking a third, you speed up the commute and encourage others to stand in line for a ride.

Does it have a down side? Maybe, but I do not get a lot of feedback by drivers who are "stranded."

The way I view it is that slugging should benefit both riders and drivers. When a driver takes more than two riders, he is potentially depriving the next driver of having enough riders to use HOV. When I hear a rider ask a driver to take extra riders I hear "I don't care about the rest of the drivers - I only care about my own personal immediate needs. They can sit here all day for all I care. I'm important and I need to get to work now". Of course that doesn't hold true under those exceptional circumstances we all know so well.

When I'm at the front of the line and all those immediate gratification types are bellowing for me to ask if the driver will take a third I just keep my mouth shut.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic