Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2002 at 4:29pm
I have a question to those to do not like cell phone conversations in their cars. But first let me say that this is an honest question and not meant to be sarcastic. Also, I don't even own a cell phone (and never will), so I have no personal interest in the answer.

What about calls, making or receiving, that are of personal or professional importance? I know that "important" can have as many meanings as there are people, but like the ones on 9/11? I don't know about you all, but given what is happening around the country with kidnappings and such, I want to be sure that my son or daughter has a ride home from school if I'm late.

Asking to make a call such as this is certainly a good idea, but you can't necessarily know when someone is calling.

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 8:05am
I think we have to be careful before we condemn all cell phone use. Remember, it is still legal in the state of Virginia. I think that a rule of common sense should apply. I drive each day and do receive cell phone calls. Sometimes it is from work telling me that a meeting has moved and sometimes they are from my children telling me that practice has been changed. I keep them short and to the point. So before we try to do away with all cell phones remember they are useful at times also.

mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 11:13am
I've read all these posts and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm a driver that doesn't mind practical cell phone use in the car, or even cell phone use if you are talking softly. I really haven't had any trouble with anyone abusing their cell phones or my nerves. Nor have I had to tell anyone to quiet down or "please discuss that topic elsewhere" (animal husbandry!?!?!?! Holy Schmoly!!) I fully agree with the need to keep track of your kids and loved ones (especially lately), and am even guilty of a conversation or so during a drive (always followed by an apology and a thank you to my passengers). Are we being a bit sensative about cell phone usage? I know there are extreme cases, but are these cases frequent enough to spark this much debate? Does anyone else feel like that?

Margo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 12:56pm
I believe that there are more "extreme" cases lately simply because the cell phone has gotten to be such a fixed part of our lives and people don't make it a point to be aware of their surroundings - too many other things on their mind. I have definitely noticed more incidences with the cases as described earlier. I do agree, however, that people who speak softly don't bother me either. For some reason (cell phone itself?) many people tend to take their voice volume up a few notches to the point where they almost seem to be shouting. I agree with KatieM. ---listening to many and I mean many of these conversations (you can't help it because of the loudness), it really, really, really appears that the calls could wait until the person has a little more privacy. As it is, the rest of us are no more than captive audiences.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2002 at 4:50pm
Here are my comments to this topic:

Common sense with regards to cell phone usage is needed here. The problem is, not everyone has the same level of common sense!

As a driver, I choose not to use my phone when I have riders with me; providing a safe ride for us all requires my full attention. (This is especially true since almost being sideswiped several times while going through the mixing bowl by other drivers simultaneously talking on the phone and flying through at high speed!)

As for riders, I do have an issue with "casual conversation" phone use. I have also had the ringing of someone's phone startle me because it was so loud!

The one instance where I don't really mind the use of a phone is when a rider is calling someone that will be picking them up at the lot, and call while 2 or 3 exits away so their ride will be there to meet them. While some may think that still is not reason enough, I view that as a safety issue (especially in winter when it gets dark so early).

Now having said that-- I also think "courtesy" is at issue here. In the 2 years I have been driving, only two people have asked the group if they minded a call being made. They were considerate. That's what bothers me most, that more often people assume it's ok to make/take a call without ever bothering to find out.

bikehorn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikehorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 3:17pm
I think I'll ride in your car. I have only twice had to talk on my cell phone, but I sure would have been pissed if someone had told me to can it.
You can never know the circumstances surrounding the conversation. I myself was trying to arrange travel plans to visit a best friend in the hospital the first time, and the second was trying to arrange for a ride home from the slug lot.
I think that excessive use isn't too kosher, but I think it borders on racism to say that people should speak only in English when talking on the phone. Just because they are talking on a cell phone, doesn't mean you should be able to understand their half of the converasation for your eves dropping pleasure.

quote:

I've read all these posts and I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm a driver that doesn't mind practical cell phone use in the car, or even cell phone use if you are talking softly. I really haven't had any trouble with anyone abusing their cell phones or my nerves. Nor have I had to tell anyone to quiet down or "please discuss that topic elsewhere" (animal husbandry!?!?!?! Holy Schmoly!!) I fully agree with the need to keep track of your kids and loved ones (especially lately), and am even guilty of a conversation or so during a drive (always followed by an apology and a thank you to my passengers). Are we being a bit sensative about cell phone usage? I know there are extreme cases, but are these cases frequent enough to spark this much debate? Does anyone else feel like that?

Sarah L. Wentz
Development Assistant
Sevicemembers Legal Defense Network
rwhite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2002 at 8:28am
that's a little bit anal..don't ya think!

quote:

I read somewhere that we're especially annoyed with overhearing the conversations of cell-phonists, because we can't hear the OTHER SIDE of the conversation :) I can partially agree. I also agree with other posters who don't feel safe as their drivers yackity-yack for the duration of the ride. I've listened in on many a one-sided conversation, and have come to the conclusion that ALL of those calls received or placed, could have WAITED until the slugs were deposited at their destinations.

Just this morning, the phone of a slug sitting in the back seat chirped away. (I was the front seat slug.) She answered and began talking to a co-worker, who she'd obviously left a message with earlier to call her. She wanted the co-worker to run her off a form. The slug stated she hadn't been able to fill in the form the night before on her computer, because it kept locking up on her. And now, alas, she'd have to fill in the blanks on a typewriter. I ask you, could not the slug have simply gone in to work and run the form off herself?

I've also listened in on conversations ranging from plotting the demise of a co-worker, to emergency-type calls to a kid waiting at home for a ride to soccer practice -- Dad wouldn't be able to make it in time. Most calls can, and should, wait. I personally think it's particularly rude of a slug to take or place a call, under normal circumstance. However, I was once in a car after 9/11 on the way to work, and we were stuck in awful traffic approaching the Pentagon. A passenger asked the driver if he minded the passenger placing a call to his work to let them know where he was, and that he wouldn't be able to make a meeting. When the driver okay'd it, I too asked if I could do the same, and did so. I think we'd been sitting in traffic for about 1/2 by that time. That's the only time I've ever placed a call, and have always kept my phone turned off when riding in someone's car.

To be subjected to people blathering away about what he said-she said, hair, nails, clothes, shoes, and you'll-never-guess-what-happened is so annoying to me that I've envisioned myself snatching their phones away and chucking them out the window. I might just do that one day during a bout of extreme PMS (combined with a full moon, this could actually happen.) :)

swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2002 at 3:50pm
I had a driver checking his messages on his cell phone driving all over the road trying to punch in the numbers. Then he took out a newspaper article and read it to his wife in the front seat still driving over both lines while his wife put on makeup I was holding on for life. I don’t hate cell phones I have one but lets be reasonable some non-important things can wait till you get to a stop.

Yes I snore sometimes so I will not sleep in a car because I think it is rude if I do but that’s just me.

shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 1:51pm
Let's get a reality check here -- it's a FREE ride. If the driver wants to talk on the cell phone, that's his/her perrogative and it's your right to not ride with that person again if you don't like the fact that they talk on the cell phone while driving. As for passengers, you should always check with the driver before placing a call unless it's for an urgent situation at home and even then you should keep it brief. I also always make sure I turn down the volume on the ringer of my cell phone when I am slugging since a loud ringer can startle the driver. I think nowadays for safety reasons, everyone should have a cell phone and that they should leave it on because you never know when you might encounter a psycho who intends to do you harm. I just think you should be courteous in how you use it. The moral of the story, treat each other with courtesy and respect.

Tisa Shillingburg
Nikki View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2002 at 1:21pm
I understand not wanting the driver to talk on the phone for safety reasons of course, but to not allow a rider to talk on the phone is ridiculous. The last time I checked there was a thing called freedom of speech. I think that would include talking on your cell phone if you wanted. If you think talking on the phone in the back seat is rude, what do you call putting someone out in the middle of the highway? When I drive, I could care less if the riders are asleep or on the phone as long as they get out at their destination. The purpose of slugging is to get to work and back home safely without dealing with a lot of the 95 traffic, is it not? I think some of you are taking this a little too seriously.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic