Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Etiquette: Do Not Hold Your Slug Captive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burkhartmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 2:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by HybridDriver
I have been here only a short time, but notice that the majority of bitching posts are about the drivers.
Well, I understand. It's unfortunate that it seems that a higher percentage of drivers have an attitude of entitlement than do riders, and some riders voice resentment over that. But with that said, the people in the Slug System that also go out of their way the most are drivers. So it would seem that the arrogance of a few drivers overshadows the many, many good ones. This unfortunate circumstance, however, is a part of human nature and can be observed in just about every area of life.

As to the rest (griping about the radio or temperature), if the riders read the Rules of Etiquette posted on this site, they would know that it's the drivers' preferance. I'm too cold almost every morning -- so what? I keep my mouth shut, and other riders should as well. The only time I spoke up about the radio selection was when the driver was listening to graphic sexual comedy (and he changed it, apologize, and I still ride with him). Otherwise, it's totally up to the driver. I don't review these posts often, so I don't know how often riders complain over such petty things, but the ones that do need to grow up.
Rebecca22193 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebecca22193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 2:32pm
HybridDriver: Kudos to you for picking up slugs in a Hybrid. We have a Hybrid driver at Rt 17 that picks up slugs. We think he's cool. As a matter of fact, we think most drivers are cool as far as I know. I have been reading this list for more than a year, but didn't feel compelled to make a complaint for the first time until the other day. Then I wasn't believed because I didn't have enough posts. Maybe we should open a POST HERE topic so that "newbies" can post to the board enough times to meet the criteria to become Advanced members so their input will be considered valid when they do have something to say. Good luck on the undercover ops. Let us know how it goes.

Becky
AZ Man View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 6:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoNo
[br]"Their are 2 acceptable drop off points at the Pentagon. One where the blue SLUG signs are and, of course, you have to drive around again to get back to Corridor 2/3 BUT the other one is right in front of Corridor 2. This gives the rider close access to the METRO/Bus stations AND elminates the need for the driver to have to "drive" around in a circle and can proceed on to Corridor 3 parking lot after drop-off."

The Corridor 2 entrance is further away from the Metro entrance, as you have to walk back on yourself before you get to the large main artery leading to the metro/bus areas. With Corridor 2 now closed, its even more difficult to get to the building. The slug line drop off is closer to the metro, as you are just crossing the street.

I hear what your saying "NoNo" but my thoughts are the difference is only a few steps, maybe 50 steps if I had to count them as the difference so dropping off at the side of Corridor 2 versus the SLUG line pick-up point doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Now, if my driver said Corridor 3 and not offer Corridor 2 THEN I'd be a little upset as that adds quite a bit to the METRO walk. Even with Corridor 2 being "closed" the drop off point is still a good, safe area to drop off SLUGs and still not have a long walk to the METRO and a quick drive to the parking lot by Corridor 3.
aka14kim View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka14kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 10:20am
bottom line...
the driver was rude!

When I first started "sluggin'", a year ago, I had a RIDER get in my truck and tell me where she was going! Like I was a TAXI. The mistake that I made was telling her that this was my first time. My other passenger was a friend - so neither of us knew the ropes. I just assumed that I was OBLIGATED to take her ANYWHERE near the Pentagon.[:D] I told a co-worker about my ride in that day and he was livid. Since then, I have not had any MAJOR issues. Every now and then, I see that woman (heffa) who tricked me
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebecca22193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:09am
I'm not sure the logic you're using by pasting my post here. I posted to the other topic because this issue was raised. I explained why I feel that govtgirl is genuine.

Once again, WHAT IS UP WITH YOU GUYS? Why do you suspect everybody? Who do you trust? Should we all just quit reading and posting? What possibly makes your input more trustworthy, valid, and important? No one has been successful in explaining that to me yet.

Becky
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebecca22193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 11:04am
The "huge, smelly woman" comment was intended to be funny. :) Sorry for the bad humor. You'll need to browse through the topic to see that, yes, she accused me of having a NASTY COLD, and since I have a nasty cold, I felt it was her. She got my e-mail address from a Rt. 17 group e-mail that I sent out on the same topic. She is apparently also a subscriber. As far as the badge goes, she made that comment, not me. I never knew what that meant.

RoadRunner, I was ready to just leave this message board altogether based on your comments and have thought better of it. I have gotten a lot of useful information on this board and was able to vent once (though some of you don't believe me, big deal). I don't think I'll let you run me off because you feel as if you're in some superior position. I don't believe most of those registered to this board feel that way.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Becky
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 12:07pm
As Prez Reagan said, "Trust ... but verify." [^]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 1:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by AZ Man
I hear what your saying "NoNo" but my thoughts are the difference is only a few steps, maybe 50 steps if I had to count them as the difference so dropping off at the side of Corridor 2 versus the SLUG line pick-up point doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Now, if my driver said Corridor 3 and not offer Corridor 2 THEN I'd be a little upset as that adds quite a bit to the METRO walk. Even with Corridor 2 being "closed" the drop off point is still a good, safe area to drop off SLUGs and still not have a long walk to the METRO and a quick drive to the parking lot by Corridor 3.

AZMan, in the rain, heeled shoes, snow, cold, late or while pregnant, 50 steps is a lot.
KCWolfPck View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCWolfPck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 1:58pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoNo
[br]
AZMan, in the rain, heeled shoes, snow, cold, late or while pregnant, 50 steps is a lot.

Only if you are so fat that you get winded from just getting up to go to the bathroom.
AZ Man View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:29pm

NoNo, yes, but it still beats walking from your car in the parking lot if/when you drove/drive :) If it's bad weather conditions, I take that into consideration when driving (common sense), however, on a normal day it's a viable option and a good compromise for driver/SLUG. I love parking in Corridor 2 right now and going through the METRO entrance but I know once Corridor 2 entrance opens back up, those rows are going to be PACKED again so Corridor 3 is the best option, even at 0530! So, SLUGs will be dropped off beside Corridor 2 before you get to the steps facing the SLUG lines unless their's bad weather where then I'm just staying home [8D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic